January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

I know it puts a lot of pressure on some folks, but wishing everyone a Happy New Year! Looking forward to see all those shavettes. I've been using mine sporadically. Focus seems the best I can hope for. Soaps, brushes, and post shave products will be my variables.
    I joined the 30 Day Crew around March last year.
    Far as I can tell there's no clearly marked exit.
    good luck.jpg

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Saw this tshirt several moons ago: "Does Anal- Retentive Have A Hyphen?"

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This will be a month of shavettes. Last month sort of ended up that way with almost half the days of the month seeing one in use. Whether this focus goes thirty days or longer is up in the air. I will continue with it until I am as proficient with them as my safety razors.

My brushes will go back into their regularly scheduled line-up, and as always, soaps are a daily decision.

Looking forward to another month with you guys.

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll be in for January!

Soaps - I'll be using Route 66 all of January. A few other members will be joining me. We'll be sharing our thoughts and results HERE. I have heard so many positive testimonials about Route 66 and am looking forward to giving a variety of scents a try this month.

Razors - After a great haul courtesy of @PickledNorthern I will be using some new-to-me injectors and SEs. I will try out (in no particular order) a Schick M adjustable, Schick G8, PAL Adjustable, Personna injector, RazoRock Black Hawk, and a Schick J. I may have left one out. I'll go for three or four shaves on each razor.

Aftershaves - Various and nothing expensive or exclusive. And always Nivea balm.

Brushes - Various with the hope of using most of what I have.

The focus will be on Route 66 and trying out new razors. It's going to be a great month!

5. PickledNorthern

Perry is embarrassing me. He fails to mention that he paid fair market price for all of these.

6. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I have always wanted a Corvette but could never afford one. I have long settled for lesser "ettes" in my life - vinaigrettes, towelettes, kitchenettes - with the one exception being a certain brunette. While I intend to maintain my long-held focus on her, I will be joining in the not-quite-a-Corvette-but-also-exciting shavette focus. I currently have a Weck Sextoblade that has seen weekly use, and a Feather SS non-folding type that I got for Christmas. I also hope to add one that will use DE blades, since I have a plethora or Russian blades to plow through, possibly with the assistance of homemade vodka aftershave to keep the shenanigans alive. But I will be using shavettes only. I will also be focusing on an Omega Boar brush for the first time when it arrives from Italian Barber. Last month was my Plissoft Big Bruce (which I love dearly). A plethora of soaps will be included (RazoRock Lavender and a new puck of Tabac are en route). The alum will howl, the witch hazel will soothe, the Barbasol Brisk will scream with cheap, loud, mentholated glee. Beard reduction will occur, and hopefully the dude will not debride.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

And, I keep one of the boys at all exits to encourage people to stay a little longer. Encourage, yeah, that's the word I want.

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

There has GOT to be a CT in there somewhere. Maybe @Queen of Blades will wander through and find something. Just too many "ettes" not to be suspicious. That, and the last two sentences. That is CLASSIC stuff there. Have a great Happy-ette New Year!

9. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Time will tell. You don't choose the CT. The CT chooses you. Happy New Year!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Spreadsheet record keeping is NOT a sign of a mental disorder. I checked with my spreadsheet of statistics of mental disorders associated with shaving and crossed that one off. So you're fine. Looking forward to to a consistently inconsistent effort from you this year!! Besides, I do believe this is the second anniversary month of needing a gun for pre-shave too. Yeah, I haven't forgotten. (Like that fore-shadowing)?

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Fantastic intro this month, Neal! Thanks for leading the charge!

I'll be doing a comparison of my new bevy of Russian blades, and I'll throw in a week's worth of shaves with my Feather AC - just to luxuriate in the feel of 'Murican steel against my mug.

1.gif

12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm glad to have them!

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Imagine the time that was saved seeking each piece? In one swell foop an acquisition disorder was quelled for hours!
    Mugato Fabulous.jpg

14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

First shave of the year and first shave of the focus. I decided to start off the next four days with my top dog brush, a Thäter 2 band.

First shave with my X-mas present, Mastro Livi and just because I love the scent I went Knize Ten shave soap. The Knize Ten well, it smells like Knize Ten, awesome. Unfortunately this lather is not as good as the scent but not horrible. The razor came very very sharp but not as smooth as I expected. 4 passes and no blood, no irritation but fell just short of BBS. Given how sharp the edge was I expected BBS with a little irritation.

Irritation A+ Closeness B+ Smoothness A- Sharpness A+

ID - 1.jpg

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

January 1, 2017 

Timeless OC .95 Gap with Windrose SS

Feather (1)

“Los Tres Amigos Dos” CH2 Synthetic LE
    Route 66 Twisted Tweed
    Witch Hazel
    Myrsol F/Extra

[​IMG]

I will be using Route 66 Twisted Tweed for the first part of the month in an effort to finish off the tub. The scent to me is of a light green fougere which I find very pleasing. Route 66 soaps in general are very easy to lather and tolerant of various amounts of water. So as expected the CH2 Synthetic easily whipped up the Twisted Tweed into a wonderful rich slick lather. Three passes and touch ups with the Timeless OC left me with a smooth and close shave. I finished up the shave with a splash of Myrsol F/Extra. I hope everyone has a fantastic New Year's Day.

16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_4674.JPG

New Year SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Route 66 Ghost Town
    Gem Damaskeene
    Vintage Old Spice AS

The first shave of the year, and I stacked the deck for a good one. I used one of my favorite razors and paired it with terrific soap. The lather a perfect: very slick and very protective. This soap is so easy to lather, it is definitely a great way to start a shave. The razor effortlessly mowed through my stubble leaving me with a DFS. I skipped the PSB, as I am now trying to get a feel for how the soaps perform without. I figured Route 66 would do well, and I was right. My skin definitely feels soft and smooth. I can tell a difference with skipping the PSB, but I certainly wouldn't have any problems going without the PSB with this soap. A little vintage Old Spice for this Sunday morning, and I am ready for a great day at church and with the family. I hope everyone has a great first day of the year! Happy New Year!

17. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sweet set up Clint! thumbsup.gif

18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Happy New Year
    Sunday, January 1, 2017

Doug Korn TGN Finest
    Route 66 Cranberry Citrus
    Option 5
    Polsilver Super Iridium #2
    Fine L'Orange Noir
    Terre d Hermes

[​IMG]

19. PickledNorthern

Believe me, we are BOTH big winners.

The problem is that Perry is SUCH a nice guy that I didn't want people to think this was some sort of PIF.

He is too kind.

I am an angry unicorn.

20. PickledNorthern

Mark... You are seriously my shaving hero.