January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I shaved my head exclusively with a DE for a little over a year, but moved back to a Trac II in the fall. I find that if I shave my head at least twice a week I don't have clogging problems and I've been using the Eli's Extracts brushless cream as well. Just a little tapping on the side of the sink in a sinkful of hot water and it comes right out. If I go longer than a week between shaves, I generally lather up and use a DE.

2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

1/2/17 - No Picture Shave
    Here we are at the start of a new year and like many, I have several "goals" for the year. I'm in search of solitude and peace, so decided that I need to allow my morning shaves be a little more meditative (not medicative - no cuts allowed!). So I pulled out my Omega 10066 and used the soaking time to be a little quieter and slower than the slap dash of using a synthetic. The boar brush takes a little longer to make a slick lather but the 30-45 extra seconds weren't a problem.

Blackland Blackbird OC
    Feather (2)
    Omega 10066
    Route 66 Lumberjack
    Old Spice

2 passes gave me near BBS results. I'm ready to see my students today.

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Meh. It doesn't look all that different than my no guard buzz cut, other than it sure enhances how gnarly my head actually looks. It would be different if I was balding, but I'm not, so I think I will just stick with the Wahl.

4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

If I get desperate, I think I might have one Rainbow blade left. :eek:

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

January 2, 2017​
    Timeless OC .95 Gap with Windrose SS​
    Feather (2)​
    “Los Tres Amigos Dos” CH2 Synthetic LE​
    Route 66 Twisted Tweed​
    Witch Hazel​
    Floid Blue​
    [​IMG]

A great shave is a very nice way to start the week. The Twisted Tweed was easy to whip into a great slick lather. Three passes and minimal clean ups ended in a fantastic smooth and close shave. A splash of Floid Blue and I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Monday.

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Monday, January 2, 2017

Oscar11 Omega Boar
    LASSC Topanga Fougere
    Cobra Classic
    Feather Pro #4
    Fine Fresh Vetiver

[​IMG]

7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN January 1st
    [​IMG]

Merkur 34c
    Astra SP
    Dr Jon's Hydra
    Satin Tip The Purest
    Crown King scuttle

Back to the beginning shave.

Good morning friends! This week, in honor of my upcoming 1 year anniversary here at TSD, I have decided to use the razor and blade combo that got me started. The Astra SP was the first blade I used in my first safety razor, the Merkur 34c. My first shave was a good one, no blood, and I ended up relatively smooth. My shave with this combo last night was amazing, oh what a difference a year of practice and learning technique will get you. The Merkur 34C is a relativity mild razor and works well with a nice sharp blade. It has a narrow window of blade exposure, so you really have to nail the angle to get it to cut efficiently. I'm happy to report that finding and holding that angle was no problem for me last night and after 3 passes the baby was waiting for me. I am so glad I discovered "the better way" and have really enjoyed becoming a part of this amazing community. Have a great day my friends!

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Another beautiful Photo Mark. How is the scent of the LASSC Fougere compared to MdC Fougere?

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

2 January 2017 Birthday/ Focus Shave

Birthday 2017 Shave.JPG

Pre-Shave- Hot towel w/VDH Shave Butter
    Razor: 1971 Gillette Super Adjustable 109
    Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated
    Shave Cream: GF Trumper Limes
    Brush: Omega 6212
    Post-Shave: Hot/Cold water rinse, Cold towel, Alum block and Dominello Vitali Post Shave Calming Moisturizer
    After Shave: Canoe by Dana
    Background: Johnny Hartman & John Coltrane
    Song of the Day: Lush Life

To start off I apologize for FUBARing the picture. Now, on to the shave. It was with some trepidation that I approached this shave. Voskhod blade and the Black Beauty set on "9". I figured "Hey man it's your birthday, go for it!" So I loaded her up and got after it. WOW, what a shave! The prep had my 3 day growth standing at attention and that Russian steel went through it like a T-34 through the Wehrmacht. I had one tiny ooops! low down on my neck, but did not have to break out the styptic. Alum was silent. It was a two passer with minor jawline touch up. The cold towel post shave was AMAZING. I have one of you Gents to thank for that, but in all the info I've been absorbing I lost track of your name. My humble apologies. Overall a great way to start my 62nd year. Have a great day boys & girls, I'm gonna!!

Attached Files:

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Happy Birthday!

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:bounce017::bounce017: Happy Birthday :bounce017::bounce017:

12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

January 2 2017 (I need practice writing the correct year now) - brush off

Schick E2 / Personna white pack (2)
    Realmont boar brush / Simms 1921 patent date boar telescoping travel tube brush
    The Eternal Tub of TOBS Avocado Cream
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Lavender and styptic powder

Day 2 of my focus on my brushes and 2 more bit the dust.

I bought the Realmont in the early 1980s in a drugstore and its bristles were long past their Best Before date. The handle was a genuine hardwood under the flaking layer of globby thick paint but was only a very junky and knotty birch or ash. The company was obviously not wasting artisan-grade wood on its painted handles. So, sorry am I, but into Garbage it went.

The Simms travel brush was a pleasant surprise. The very stiff bristles softened up beautifully after a soak, whipped up an excellent lather, and held a surprising amount of lather considering the brush is a cylinder only 3/4" thick. On the other hand, the brush is probably over 90 years old. Using a brush that old as a casual daily driver just seems ... wrong. I think it now retires to honourable collector status.

That winnows out all the questionable brushes in my rotation. The remainder are all quality using brushes with personal preference the only issue.

The Schick E2 is the most aggressive of the injectors and the Personna white pack is the roughest of the injector blades now on the market. They combined today to remind me that playing with brushes is all very well but the serious part of a shave is still the razor and blade. I let my concentration waver from skin stretching and lightly riding the cap, and the Deadly Duo rewarded me with a bloody nick on my lower lip. Alum alone wouldn't fix it and I had to haul out the styptic powder. I guess the E2 just wanted me to remember that it wasn't some wussy newfangled Supply Provision thingy but was the Original Real Deal Injector...

Other than that minor bit of bloodletting, a good solid DFS, no real complaints from the alum and the Thayers provided the usual nice finish to a good shave.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:git::git::git::greet002:

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'm thinking Cinco de Julio is going to have more participants this year. More people seem to be training for it.

15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'm in as well, if some one sends one.

16. RetLEO-07

Thank you brother, I appreciate it!

17. RetLEO-07

Thanks Clint.

18. RetLEO-07

Thank you. Much appreciated.

19. PickledNorthern

Happy Birthday, Sir!

20. PickledNorthern

January Shavette Focus, Shave 1

[​IMG]

-Kai Captain w/Feather Super (2)
    -Deruitem Shaving w/TGN Finest
    -Stubble Trubble Pirate Cowbow
    -Ogallala Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorns

I am going to have to stop with my off hand for a while. I added another line to the row on my face this morning. It was just a scratch, I felt it start to dig a little before I went for it. Cold water stopped it, no biggie, but you can see it now.

I am doing PT rehab on my shoulder, and it is sort of awkward and painful to use my right arm on that area of my face. Couple that with the fact that I keep cutting myself in that exact same spot, I need to quit trying to fix a problem I never had. I do just fine with my left hand only on both sides of my face. Plus I am starting to look like even more of an idiot than I normally do.

I think I like the Supers in both the Feather and the Kai, because the added exposure gives a little more versatility in angle for me. I do think they are a little rougher than the Pros for a shave or two though.

Ended up somewhat hurried this morning, but got in a decent two pass shave with a few touch ups. Can't call it a DFS, but my face is smooth and my neck looks good so I guess I can live with it.