January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Glad you made it home safely, Jim. That's a cool looking 1914.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I hear all of it, you guys. Been working pipeline now for what seems like an eternity. Kind of pick and choose where I go a little more now, but I paid some dues to get there too. Plus, in that line of work if you want $$ you need to chase it, and I got sick of chasing.

3. PickledNorthern

What is the aftershave bottle, Rick? Looks like British Sterling.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 3 others like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

It was empty when I found it in a flea market. There's a ship worked into the chromed glass. From Old Spice Collectables;
    "The Admiral's Flask was sold from 1986 to 1991 (Product ID 33440) and held 7 ounces of after shave."
    old spice flask 1988.jpg

Drygulch, clint64, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

January 21

G2 (Birth year) Gillette FB
    Perma-Sharp Super (3)
    Semogue Owners Club Two-band Finest
    La Toja shave stick
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Fine L'Orange Noir

Two passes plus touch-ups with my FB on 5 for a nice Saturday morning shave. Out of my three Russian blades - Astra SP, Polsilver SI, and Perma-Sharp Super - the Perma-Sharps are least forgiving by a very small margin. They're still a great blade, but not quite as smooth the other two. I have some Voskhods en route, and I'm eager to see how they measure up. I understand that they are smooth but not as sharp as other Russian blades. I'm hopeful that they'll seal the deal in two passes.

My Bride and I went out for lunch today. We have Broadway Series season tickets, and we saw The Sound of Music this afternoon. It was a really nice way to spend the day. I hope you all had a great day!

Drygulch, jtspartan, clint64 and 9 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The secret is out, you are now a Sith Lord.
    gSLgJKH.jpg

Drygulch, clint64, RyX and 6 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Day 2 with the Rooney brush and a relaxing Sunday shave:

Decided to give this brush cream challenge, Castle Forbes, well not really a challenge since this cream is very easy to work with. I don't have many 'vintage' straights in the den but today my Wade & Butcher was on deck. Made a mountain of lather and CF is great stuff so I was hoping the razor is ready to deliver. It took me a while but I think I finally got he edge dialled in, silly smooth and sharp. Since the edge felt so smooth and the lather was just right I got very aggressive with my angles in search of the epic shave. I even did a fifth smoothing pass WTG.

I did get the long lasting BBS, while there was no blood I was surprised in the alum gave me some feedback, it has been along time since I got more than just a tickle form the alum. Not bad but definitely can't call this shave epic, just excellent.

Irritation A- Closeness A+ Smoothness A+ Sharpness A
    ID - 1.jpg

8. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Quick shavette update:

I am still very comfy with the Weck.

Route 66 Bourbon Jungle continues to be amazing soap.

My Maggard synthetic Brush continues to softly and deftly apply copious amounts of decadent lather.

Clubman Special Reserve continues to make me feel like a poor man's (or at least a less intelligent man's) Indiana Jones, much to the delight of all around me.

They worked well to prepare me for a nice date night with my beautiful bride. The Brunswick stew with rabbit, sausage and pork belly was delightful. As was her braised pork shoulder with smoked Gouda mac and cheese, collards and onion rings. I am full, happy and well shaved. I also have some Stirling Baker Street on the way, which also makes me happy. The only thing that makes me sad is that I am going on a soap no-buy (with the exception of Barrister and Mann 42 in April). But that sadness is curved by the fact that I have many very good soaps I need to focus on and enjoy, because I am out of space.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, jtspartan, clint64 and 10 others like this.
  9. SharptoothC

La Toja is an incredibly underrated soap.

10. PickledNorthern

Thanks Buddy!

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you Obi-Keith.

Drygulch, Keithmax, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Charlie. Have a great evening.

13. PickledNorthern

[​IMG]

Super quick shave this morning, it is Show Choir Dinner Show Super Fantastic Happy Fun Time weekend, and I had to run out the door.

For those of you who don't know, show choir up here is pretty much a northern state girl's equivalent of Friday Night Lights for you guys down south.

I have been working long kitchen shifts for the last couple of days; one more and then done for the year. Oof.

Just for truth's sake: During dinner entertainment, my daughter solos a couple of pieces where she arranged both the vocals and music. She has had me damn near blubbering a half dozen times in the last two days.

Back to our regularly scheduled focus on Monday.

14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Killer brush Jared! :)

clint64, Linuxguile, RyX and 3 others like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

Thank you, Buddy!

16. SharptoothC

All of this guitar talk has me listening to my guitar hero. His wife is no slouch either.

Drygulch, Keithmax, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

Don't even need to hit play to feel the need to bow at the altar of Tedeschi/Trucks. Awesome!

18. SharptoothC

If you ever get to see them live, it is a wonder to behold.

19. PickledNorthern

Never seen her. Saw Trucks, Haynes and Roosevelt Collier just run away with an Allman Brothers show one night. It was the one of the best shows I ever saw.

When you have Trucks and Haynes share a stage, I'm not sure how you can get better guitar.

Drygulch, clint64, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  20. SharptoothC

I agree Trucks and Haynes are magic together. Did you see when Haynes played with Tedeschi Trucks at the White House? Great stuff.

Here he (Trucks) is with another favorite, the great Jimmy Herring: