January 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Any New Year's Resolutions for your shaves?

1. Go Dark Side and learn straights this year.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Purchase your dream razor and live happily ever after.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Use up some of the excess soaps/creams I've been stockpiling.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Limit purchases of shaving gear to less than 25% of my gross income.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. No Buy 2018!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Cookies. Just going to eat cookies.

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  7. I solemnly resolve that I am up to no good.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

For January I'm going to do a focus on using my stuff. I developed a decent collection of gear so I'm going to use it. Through January I'm going to use every thing I have at least once. I'm also making a no buy resolution for 2018 so no new purchased product unless I'm replacing something.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

LOOT, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 13 others like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Happy New Year!!

I'll be trying a blade focus this month. I'm going to compare some new Schick Proline and Personna injector blades against my stalwart Chick blades. I will also compare some PTFE single edge blades against regular GEM stainless. I might throw in some carbon SE blades in there if I can procure some.

For razors I plan to use only two all month - Schick '66' injector and the GEM G-Bar. That way the razors are consistent with the various blades.

I'm seeing some impetus for Jeeves January. I'll pitch in and use my Jeeves Bay Rum from @Drygulch a good bit, but probably not the whole month as there are some others I want to use.

It's going to be a good month! Probably not shaving today but should be back on track early tomorrow morning.

Now on to my recent health saga. It seems now that I have pinkeye. I have the classic symptoms. On top of that I am experiencing annoying cold symptoms. I've been through the ringer the past week! I'm ready for it to end!!

LOOT, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 12 others like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Has that Aristocrat been replated or is that its vintage shine? Beautiful razor! Great picture and shave to start the thread with this month!

LOOT, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 14 others like this.
  4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I still couldn’t vote for the cookies, as I suspect that they may have been from the dark side and not the Cartel. I’m also not sure I trust Ivan with his lazy eye or Boris with his lisp. Both are slightly off putting if you ask me.

Anyway, this month I may focus on shaving patterns. Via conventional wisdom I’m in the habit of doing a N-S pass, an ear to nose pass, and a S-N pass. For some strange reason, I inadvertently switched pass 2 and 3 last week and got better results. I may spend some time experimenting and come up with a new routine (or not). Jeeves and the shavette may also make guest appearances.

Happy New Year, gentlemen!

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I'll have to check if it was replated. Thanks Neal.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

LOOT, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I’m in. I have 2 Jeeves soaps and a splash, which I will use a fair amount. As well, after bowing to @Bama Samurai ’s ridiculous peer pressure to try an open blade, I do have a shavette inbound from Korea. I’ll attempt to use it a few times this month.
    On top of those, I got a few soaps on Black Friday, and others in a trade, that I haven’t used yet and will try. Also a few other razors to try as well- my raffle prize and an SE I got a few months ago.
    And, yes, I am in for NB ‘18.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

January 1, 2018
    Cobra Classic
    Feather Pro (1)
    30 DC LE with Omega 20107 knot
    Fine Platinum

[​IMG]

A change of pace to start the new year. Since I have a new boar brush on the way so I decided to make January a focus on boar brushes. Up first on the brush front is the 30DC LE brush with an Omega 20107 knot installed which will be paired with the Cobra Classic razor for this week. The soap for today is Fine Platinum which happens to be one of my favorite Fine aftershave scents. The 3oDC LE made short work of whipping up a wonderful lather with the scent adding so much to the shave. A reminder to self. The Cobra, aka "Snake" will bite if you don't pay attention. I would suggest not talking to ones wife with the razor on the point of your chin. Wow! That was one serious nick. Continuing on with the 3 pass shave had me easily catching the baby. This razor and blade combo does a wonder on my lower right neck. The Alum would not close the nick so I resorted to the Styptic Pencil which succeeded in stopping the blood flow after several applications. That will teach me to pay more attention. A splash of Fine Platinum avoiding my chin and I am ready for some college football today. I hope everyone has a great New Year's Day.

8. jtspartan

One weird point- almost all of the 5 non-pictured handles are stained dark. I believe 8 were total, and only 4 are pictured.

LOOT, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 10 others like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy096: The razor looks amazing Clint.

LOOT, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Have you mapped your beard well? Maybe try some straight up WTG/ATG to see how it works out?

I did a similar focus long ago and it really helped me get a good routine going. Good luck with it!

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

They real key to open blades is skin stretching. Since I really took that concept to heart, the numbers of nicks and cuts went to virtually none. The worst part of my learning was razor burn from high attack angles. You'll soon see that it really more "tedious" than "dangerous", and I predict you'll have some fun when you figure it out.

LOOT, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 13 others like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You can also blunt the corners of the DE blades a bit while you are learning. It saved me from some cat scratches.

LOOT, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 10 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic start to the New Year Doug. The Druida Barberpole is just gorgeous.

Thank you Doug.

LOOT, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

great setup this morning!!

Linuxguile, Drygulch, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Clint.

Linuxguile, Drygulch, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Paul.

Linuxguile, Drygulch, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

aaaaaaand they're off! We got Stockpilers in the lead, No Good not far off.

Linuxguile, Drygulch, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  18. jtspartan

Another great combo, Doug! That ‘Crat looks unused, right down to the instruction pamphlet.
    Welcome back!
    Ouch! I recommend watching football with a few wobbly pops to help you heal up, Clint. Wonderful photo, though!

Linuxguile, Drygulch, sdguero and 8 others like this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Jason.

20. jtspartan

You have a very busy job, Perry, where you are exposed to hundreds of potential viruses everyday. IMHO, your body is telling you it needs a couple of days of rest before you get back to the grind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.