January 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Any New Year's Resolutions for your shaves?

1. Go Dark Side and learn straights this year.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Purchase your dream razor and live happily ever after.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Use up some of the excess soaps/creams I've been stockpiling.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Limit purchases of shaving gear to less than 25% of my gross income.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. No Buy 2018!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Cookies. Just going to eat cookies.

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  7. I solemnly resolve that I am up to no good.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve G

Steve G Active Member

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to report in. I have been wet shaving for 6 days in a row now.

I have made a few adjustments since I started and I think I got the hang of it now and I have to say I am really enjoying myself. I am no expert, but shaving has become fun again. Well "again" is not the right word, it never was fun before. :)

The adjustments I have made are the following.
    - I take a shower before I shave. I used to take the shower after.
    - I use a pre-shave cream (Proraso white). No pre-shave before, not sure if it helps, but I saw the Proraso pre-shave cream on special at my local pharmacy (5.49$ CAN for 100ml). So I bought it.
    - I make sure I am riding the cap (so basically I make sure my razor is at the correct angle at all time). Boy my angle was steep when I started...
    - I make sure I dont't apply any pressure on the razor.
    - I use an alum stick after the shave and I apply some Witch Hazel before my after-shave balm.

Everything is going great! There are no blood baths. My alum stick tells me that I am shaving too close in my neck section, but there is no apparent redness. So everything is good (I think).

I know it may sound stupid, but the amount of knowledge that is "stored" in the forums is incredible and the generosity that the people have in sharing is also incredible. I mean, you guys take the time to answer questions that have probably been asked a million times. Yet, you make it seem like it is the first time.

Thanks too everyone that have helped me make shaving enjoyable and something I am looking forward to do every day.

I am a photography nerd, and I have GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). I am pretty sure I will also develop AD for shaving. :)

Drygulch, wristwatchb, wchnu and 11 others like this.
  2. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Thank you, Clint! That means a lot. :)

Drygulch, Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Glad it’s going well!

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  4. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Well-done, Steve! I had poor shaving practices before as well.... hated shaving really. Now, I look forward to it. You're well on your way to great shaves, even if you manage to resist the AD. :happy088:

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Super news!!!

Drygulch, PLAla, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

For me that was part of it, but I was also going through a pretty serious prepping phrase, and a couple Parker TTO’s packed away with a few hundred Shark SS blades seemed like a cheap investment.

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

My general feeling is that if it came down to a hard choice, all wives would pick nerdy wet shaving over nearly every available option. Just a guess.

8. PickledNorthern

Gotta say though, the name and the avatar always just make me think Sam Elliot in the old cowboy movie days.

Drygulch, PLAla, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  9. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Great to hear! Keep on checking in and if any questions occur to you, fire away. That's really the whole purpose of this thread...

10. PickledNorthern

That’s a really cool story, actually.

Drygulch, Screwtape, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

On the Mead? I'll drink to that!
    IMG_1928.JPG

12. PickledNorthern

I want to say that I would try to make it. If I had work going on around there (a real possibility, actually), I would go for it. But I also haven’t taken a day off work in nine months as of now, it isn’t looking any better soon, and if I told my wife I was gonna run to St Louis for a couple of days to see my shaving buddies, I could just as well see a lawyer on the way home.

Never say never.

13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

So, of course, I had to go and look up the difference between a syndrome and a disorder. And now I'm more confused than ever.

Congrats on the progress!

14. PickledNorthern

This is true. The stuff evaporates and disappears just sitting on your countertop.

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Dan!

16. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Great progress Steve! As others have said give a shout with any questions or issues that may arise.

17. Norcalnewb

Great report! Glad you are making good progress. :happy088:

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great progress. Way to go. Keep checking in and let us know if we can help.

19. Norcalnewb

I am pretty certain my wife would like to have a little less nerdiness, especially if it meant less $$ spent. But, she does tolerate my nerdiness fairly well (although the pictures still have her shaking her head every time).

20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I-XIII-MMXVIII

Day 1 of Arko- thanks @Screwtape
    Day 1 of CJB Pain Stick- thanks @Keithmax

Today’s picture, inspired by no one in particular:
    690E3665-3056-4D76-9A61-0C900528A8CF.jpeg
    Arko lathered as easily as advertised. First cheek was super. Switched hands, caught the heel of the blade on the edge of my mouth and am testing the limits of a styptic pencil. Worst cut ever, but I’ll live.

Will try again Monday...because GAWD.

All is quiet in the Rockies.

Carry On.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.