Jaw line lays flat.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by twhite, Sep 19, 2015.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

So I have just recently started taking my shave seriously. Meaning I am looking for DGS the vast majority of the time. The problem I am having is my jaw line. My whiskers grow in the direction from my chin to ears on and right under my jaw. They lay really flat. I am having a really hard time getting that area cleaned up. I do not have a heavy beard. I would say on the lighter side.
    Going WTG does not do a thing it seems. Going XTG will get it some ATG really tugs my whiskers. Right now I am using a Ball Tech with an Astra Superior Platinum. I have some sharper samples arriving in the next few days.
    I will be trying a sharper blade to see if that helps. I would really like to get some input on techniques that can help in this area.

Thanks
    Tom

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  2. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

You may take this all with a grain of salt. I have the same problem plus just under my chin along the throat. My last 2 shaves I have been just doing an ATG pass with a little light buffing. This has given me a closer, more comfortable shave. Not are they only hard to get areas but this is where my whiskers are the toughest. On the somewhat flatter portions of my face, lather, WTG, rinse, lather, ATG. They are less coarse whiskers, and BBS always. The trick for me for the buffing is pay attention to the angle, a firm but light feel on the razor and let IT do the work. I learned this from the first try. I like the alum block afterward. It provides great feedback for your next shave. As always, YMMV.
    It's your shave. Find the angles of attack that work for you. That's part of the fun rediscovering this method of shaving.

Billyfergie and Slipperyjoe like this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Dzia
    Thank you for the input. I was thinking about buffing that area. I think I will try that tonight.
    I was also wondering if it is better to let my whiskers grow for a few days or shave every day. Do not know if either of those options can help at all.
    Again any and all input is greatly appreciated. I will try all suggestions. That is part of the fun isn't it.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Buffing is maybe the most common way to get at the confounded jawline. You might also add either a bullfrog or it's opposite, the skin stretch to see if those approaches will help any...

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Slippery Joe
    What is the bullfrog?

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I got to thinking. Right after posting that must be puffing out my neck and cheeks. Note to self think before posting

PLANofMAN and Dzia Dzia like this.
  7. Slipperyjoe

Well tilt the head kinda forward so the neck skin kinda puffs out like a frog. This technique allows hairs to stand up to be more easily cut down..
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Ok so I just finished showering and shaving. I used an old Gillette Ball Tech with an Astra SP blade. Haslinger Sandlewood soap. Pure Badger brush and I face lather. First pass with WTG everywhere except my jaw XTG. Fairly normal removal. Second pass all XTG with buffing and Bullfrog.( I love that phrase) on jaw line. This worked much better than how I have done before. My face felt fine so I did a third pass all ATG following same buffing and Bullfrog on jaw line. This turned out very good. only had 3 places to cleanup after that. 3 or 4 weepers Not too bad. Used Dominica BayRum AS virtually no burn.Just a nice tingle. I think I will keep this as part of my shave. With a few weeks more of practice I hope it will start to become second nature.

Thanks Dzia and Slipperyjoe for the advise.

Any and all input will be gladly accepted.

Tom

Slipperyjoe and Dzia Dzia like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you end up with irritation and ingrowns from the blade buffing, you might want to give skin stretching a try. You should be able to pull the jawline skin up towards your cheeks or down to you neck. This will (should) reduce the number of nicks you get on the jawline.

Billyfergie and Dzia Dzia like this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks for the tip. I will try that next. I take it that just moves the skin down or up to a flatter area to shave? or does it help lift the whiskers?

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  11. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

for me personally it doesn't lift the whiskers but it does firm and tighten the skin and makes the whiskers easier for the blade to catch.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I just finished shaving and tried the pulling of my cheeks up. I was able to make a cleaner first and second pass. This is heading in the right direction. This will take some practice. I bid not try buffing as pulling my face all over the place does not feel natural yet.
    Once I get used to this technique I will try the buffing to get those stubborn little rascals

One step at a time.
    Side note tried the med blues blade. Not bad. I got nice audible feedback from them.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

Which ever set of techniques you settle on down the road, you'll find that you'll develop a light touch muscle memory which will help in reducing or eliminating the irritation from the buffing process etc. Just a little mindfulness seems to go a long way towards facilitating that muscle memory...

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

PoM said

15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

twhite. I used the Black Beauty and Slim for many years, great razors, so is the FB for almost any beard. I've found the Ball Techs to be a bit too mild, ergo the Adjustables @6. Good luck with the BB with the right blade it will give you many years of great shaving.
    Denis

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  16. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

my ball end tech has the triangle guard holes and I don't feel like its very mild. It's the harshest razor I own after the Gillette Sterling and its mostly plastic with some very thin stamped mystery metal. I like my Fat Boy but my favorite Gillette head so far is the old type. It's buttery smooth and provides an almost automatic DFS. With a little attention its an easy BBS. As much as the Gem scare me the ball end tech and its modern cousin the sterling scare me more. I'm going to confront those fears next month and use nothing but the tech type razors I have.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I just got done with with my second shave with the BB I used a Vokxhod Teflon coated. Had my setting on 6. This time I really concentrated on going slow and NO pressure on my pass WTG, really trying to follow my whisker Pattern which seems to be 6 distinct directions. Second pass XTG same following my pattern. Third and final pass ATG. Wet hands between each shave to see where I needed to pay more attention to. After my final pass I felt around and was very pleased to find that under the jaw and along was pretty darned good. I did no cleanup pass just so not to irritate my face. 1 weeper on the end of my chin that was it. No perceivable irritation. I only had balm to put on:( would have liked to use AS to see where it stung at. I used the last of my Bay Rum last time.

I believe the sharper blade made a nice difference.

That is my ramble for the night.

Tom

Dzia Dzia likes this.