July 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2016.

?

How do you plan to beat the heat with your shaves this summer?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2016.
  1. Menthol. Menthol and more menthol!

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Cold water shaves.

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  3. The DryGulch method....menthol.......just lower.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Eating ice cream and cookies before every shave.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Who needs cookies.....I'll just take the ice cream.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Cookies and cream flavor ice cream. With cookies.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Oh come on....pass the cookies and let's just get going.

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. Hey y'all, watch this...Popsicle Shavettes!

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

In the Good Old Shavertime!

July 31

Grand Blade Trial - DAY OFF SHAVE

Razor - '46-'47 Aristocrat
    Blade - rapira-super-stainless.jpg (2)
    Soap - Tabac
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum, Nivea, The Veg

Final shave for July and it falls on a GBT Day Off. Decided to just keep it simple as I sat pondering my setup over coffee. Still had the Rapira in the Aristocrat. Tabac was calling my name, though the Fat was trying to get in there too. And there sat my vintage Seaforth mug still unused by me. Yeah, let's have some fun.

Decided to try a mug lather with the Tabac in the Seaforth mug. Gave the brush an extra long soak then loaded off the Tabac puck. Mmmmm that smell. Grabbed the Seaforth mug and started working it up. The mug is not as large as an Old Spice mug so a bit of a learning curve to avoid just bashing it with the brush handle. And, as I worked it and added a little wather the lather started up. After some extra time I wet my face and applied the lather just as it was. Hmmmmm. I have face lathered so long I may need some work on the mug side. Not bad but I did some more work on the face lather to get it where I wanted it. Then, first pass WTG and I just enjoyed the smooth feel of the Rapira and basked in the perfect symmetry of American brass and Russian steel.

Checked the brush and it was still loaded with lather. Went for the mug again and whipped a bit more. Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Nice peaked lather started making itself known and soon the brush was suffocated in it. Lathered up again and loved the feel. XTG pass was perfection. Enough lather to go for the ATG pass and I did, along with some Gillette Slide and a bit of reverse Gillette Slide. Landed the baby with ease and basked in the glow of such fine gear and result.

Rinsed, hit the alum up and had just a bit of irritation on my neck from two Slides, but otherwise all good. Patted down and used Nivea Original just to soften things up a bit, then the Veg as a body splash. Had another cup of coffee then headed to get ready for work.

Great way to finish the month. I ended up taking a lot more time with this shave but it was well worth it. Even kind of invigorated me to return to the trials tomorrow. Royal Red it is! See you on the August thread and a huge THANK YOU for all of your participation in July. You guys are what makes this thread work!

thank_you_air-580x399.jpg

Drygulch, BearCWY, wmbjr and 5 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Might be Jedi time. Yep.

Drygulch, BearCWY, wmbjr and 3 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I could.

Drygulch, BearCWY, wmbjr and 2 others like this.
  4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

How do you like the Haslinger soap my friend? :)

Drygulch and BearCWY like this.
  5. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

I like it, it has good cushion and slickness! Wish I had more of it.

Drygulch, ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I like it as well. I'll be trying the sage next. I read good things. :happy088:

Drygulch and ob1page like this.
  7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

With all the travel I ended up doing in July, there really wasn't a focus. I enjoyed using a variety of razors, including DE and Straights. I used two amazing straights from @Norcalnewb, and even tuned the edge of one of them up a bit. I my follow @mrchick's lead and do a no focus focus next for August.

ob1page and Norcalnewb like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Call it AADD

Drygulch, ob1page and Norcalnewb like this.
  9. baldone

baldone Member

Hi Troy, thanks for the mention and thanks for trying our product, and pardon me while I geek out a bit with a reply (that’s a huge part of what I love about this forum, being able to geek out about shaving!). I really appreciate the feedback on the scents and the post-shave feel, that’s wonderful, we spent a long time with the scents in particular and I think it was because of the scents that we worked hard to create a cream that you could use post-shave as well. Your feedback is great, we have another thread going where we challenged folks to try our Head Shave cream daily for 14 days, we’ve found that you don’t get the razor burn or the drag typically associated with shaving the scalp on a daily basis, maybe a bit too much info but we created the Head Shave because I shared with my partner early on that in a perfect world I wished that I could shave my head every day, that I felt a bit more professional, confident, etc., etc., the day (or two) a week that I shaved my head, so he set off to make a formula that would allow for a daily noggin shaving! And admittedly we’ve also tried to make sure folks knew we didn’t design the product for use with a brush, we were going for something that could be spread lightly across the mellon and still allow for a comfortable, daily shave, although some people have made the brush work. The essential oils that we use for the scents do a nice job coating the head, but true, they don’t lather like a soap does. All feedback is good feedback, we’re a new, small company and we absolutely love our product, so again, a huge THANK YOU!

Troy M likes this.
  10. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

You are welcome. I have the challenge set, so will continue to use them with my Trac II. I may do a PIF with an unopened container or two in order to spread the love.

ob1page likes this.