July 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Which of the following will you use during July?

1. Traditional Straight Razor

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. DE Safety razor

37 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. SE razor

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Popsicle Stick Razor

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Sharpened Ax

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Katana sword

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Slightly sharpened butter knife

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cookies. I'm here for the cookies. Why, oh why do you torment us this way?

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  9. Pain Stick

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Shavette

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Isn't it great that today is June 30th, the end of the month :)

2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Scratch that on the injector, I forgot I have a new Single Ring to use.

3. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I Iike how you think!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, Douglas Carey, MR41 and 4 others like this.
  4. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

No popsicle sticks for me. I feel I have my 1965 Gillette Flare Tip dowd but still have the Fatip to perfect. I'm also getting my hands on a GEM 1912 courtesy of @clint64. Can't wait to give that a run. That's about all that's on the radar for this month.

5. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

6. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

My focus is gonna be...hey look! Squirrel!!:)

7. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Well, wonders never cease! The mail this afternoon included a small box from Maggards containing my two-band badger knot and my 10 B+M soap samples (5 Latha, 5 the other base). It was mailed June 2, so it only took 28 days to get here without being opened and inspected at all by Customs. But at least it got here in time for me to include the contents in my July Focus after all...

Drygulch, mrchick, Norcalnewb and 9 others like this.
  8. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I love a good B &M. They are definitely top shelf soaps. You will have an enjoyable month using those. What scents did you get?

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

July 1 shave

Up today is my Takehana Feon 172, a fine example of Japanese steel. In addition to focusing on finishing stones I will see how long some razors can go without getting touched up on a stone. This razor is now 7 shaves in, the longest for me.

The edge is still ubër smooth and sharp. I lost focus a got a small cut under my nose and then later a nick on my chin. Despite the nick and cut the alum was just a tingle, still the blood brings this shave down to A-. Four passes and very smoooooth.

Irritation A- Closeness A+ Smoothness A+ Sharpness A
    ID - 1.jpg

Drygulch, mrchick, jtspartan and 13 others like this.
  10. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Well, I have decided that, following today's mail and knowing that my 30DC is en route, I am going to spend this month focusing on being thankful for and enjoying what I have. I have been caught up so much in the thrill of the hunt and trying new things that I haven't really sat back and appreciated what I DO have.

Last night:
    Sudsy Soapery Lavender and Peppermint shave soap
    Maggard Plissoft
    Schick Krona
    Fine American Blend

Sudsy Soapery has been getting some buzz and I was excited to try it. It's labeled as Super-creamed, and it is more cream in texture. The scent is peppermint forward with light hints of lavender. The scent is in the middle range strength-wise. It lathered quickly and was quite protective. Slight tingle from the peppermint. The label itself is not waterproof so I feel I will need to be careful with it.

Today's shave:
    The Body Shop Maca Root shave cream.
    Maggard Plissoft
    RazoRock German 37 slant
    Fine Platinum
    Armaf Club De Nuit Intense

I had no idea what to expect with the Maca Root. I bought it because it was marked way down. And man, I REALLY was pleasantly surprised. The scent comes off to me as nice, clean, barbershop-ish, and just a dab made a super nice lather. It had been a while since I used the slant, and I had no idea what blade was in it or what shave it was on. Just rolled with it. I had forgotten how heavy that razor is. I got an excellent shave with it. I checked afterwards and it was a Voskhod blade. That soap will be staying in the den. Fine Platinum with Club De Nuit Intense has become a favorite pairing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Maggards offers 2 pre-selected sets of five scents:

Latha: Limon (lemon, orange, rose), Lavanda, Oceana, Sandalwood (currant, sandalwood, amber), and Taiga (balsam, pine, cedar)

Other: Bay Rum, Cheshire, Cologne Russe, Lavanille and Seville.

It's tough to get a good sense just from sniffing the little 1" sample tubs, but my first impression is that the Latha scents are a bit lighter and more straightforward. The other ones are "richer" with more complex layers to the scent. Of course, it's what they smell like when whipped into a lather that really counts.

Drygulch, mrchick, jtspartan and 10 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

New phone? Super crisp image!

Drygulch, mrchick, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  13. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'm going to continue to focus on lathering, using the same VDH brush. I have a variety of other brushes I can try now, but until I can get back to daily shaves, I'm going to simply use the same VDH boar for each shave. Once the VDH Deluxe is gone, I'll switch to either Williams or Arko until that's used up. (I'm nowhere near as parsimonious about my soap usage as @Bama Samurai, but then, that's what he's been focusing on. I'll use mine up faster - I have more.)

As for blades, I expect I'll be using each blade for a minimum of 4 shaves, and I'll use LORD until I run out, then try the Gillette 7'0'clock yellows until they run out.

I _may_ use another razor in there, but for the most part, I believe I'll continue to use my 1940's SuperSpeed.

On the non-shaving side, I am going to try to build a clamp mount for one of my hand drills, and use it as a easy to swap buffer, to finish cleaning up some of the "run through the fire, then put out with urine, buried for a year, dug up with a front end loader, and then run over" razors.

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sounds like you've adjusted your focus to make sure that both present and future receive the proper focus.

15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna get back to enjoying my DEs and SEs and work in my new shavettes along the way. :)

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Parsimonious?

I try never to use a big word when a diminutive one would surely suffice.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That's an interesting range of razors. Love the Fatip and I also really like the 1912. It's a different experience using that one and I need to use it more often. Always a fun shave. I'd say you have a good month ahead!

Drygulch, mrchick, Norcalnewb and 8 others like this.
  18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy097:

19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I figured people would be insulted if I said "A Scot".

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

July Focus - Time to straighten up!

I've often been told that I need to straighten up. My mother used that phrase more than once, my dad was familiar with it and my ex's all seemed to think I needed some help in that area. Of course, my wife now sees no need for me to change anything. I'm perfect just the way I am. :angelic007:

While I plan to do a couple more trials this month on Indian blades my main focus is going to be straights! I'm including the Magic shavette in that along with my Rabbit, Gold Dollar, and the Kai and Feather SS pain sticks. As part of that focus I plan on achieving at least one successful head shave using the Rabbit. By successful I mean completing my head shave fully with no major injuries to my scalp, neck, or ears. I've done that with the pain stick a couple of times. Time to move to the TSR to master it there as well.

Blades for the pain sticks will probably be Kai Captain. Perhaps Feather Pro. And I plan on using Sharp Star blades in the Magic. I'll rotate soaps and probably stick mainly with the synthetics that I swore I would never be that interested in. Enablers, I tell you - you have to watch out for those guys!

Oh, and of course, I'll be here on Cinco de Julio with my popsicle stick razor!!

July Focus 2017.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.