June 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2016.

?

What gear are you planning to use this month?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2016.
  1. Traditional Straights and/or Kamisori

21.9%
  2. DE razors

40.6%
  3. SE razors, including injectors

28.1%
  4. Pain Stick(s)

3.1%
  5. Some combination of the above

21.9%
  6. Just having cookies, thank you.

3.1%
  7. I'll mix it up and have milk with my cookies, thank you.

9.4%
  8. Rusty can lids. Oh, sorry, that was last month.

6.3%
  9. Enough with the stupid poll already, either give me a cookie or shut up.

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Congrats on your first year, Vince. It's been great having you as part of this community! I've definitely enjoyed reading all your posts.

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'll be back for this month with another two part Focus. The days I shave from home will be with wedges. I have a few, and I would like to get some time with them. Plus, they should offer some contrast to the Aust I am using as my baseline (I have a summary from last month coming shortly).

The days I am on the road or in the gym, I plan on using a Rolls Razor. I need to get it cleaned up and ready still, so this may not happen until next week. I have never used one, so it should be a good learning experience.

3. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Thanks Clint, time flies...

Did you happen to take a look at your response to me right after my first post in 2015?
    You were spot on! Just what a newbie needed!
    :happy096:

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Before responding above I did go back and look at my response to your post. I am very happy to have helped your journey in some small way.

The bigger take away is that you followed through with a 30 day rule and moved on to hone your skills. Doing it the correct way has allowed you to fully enjoy all the different razors you've acquired over the year. It's not magic but it does require the time and effort on the front end. Congrats on a successful first year. :bounce017:

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Now THAT'S what I call a show of respect, and the proper way to pay cartel dues. Ivan and Igor both screamed in terror when they saw those poor damaged bottles, but knowing it's coming in even bigger bottles put a smile back on their faces. Or a grimace, whichever.

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Nothing like a focus to fire up the old acquisition disorders!

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Well put Clint. Your are helpful for sure. I'm sure many here including me have learned much from you and Mark.

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Congrats on your year! Obviously we are thrilled you've stayed with us and here's to many more years as a part of this fine, fine group of gentlemen characters. This place wouldn't be the same without you. And isn't it amazing how well that shave went to today compared to last year.

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy102: I just thought about this in a clearer frame of mind. As a result I question why I'm laughing. :eek:

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks for the kind words Doug. I learned a lot in the 30 Day Thread. ;)

11. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I'm glad I reconnected to the forum today. Both the Russian and Kyoto Cartels will be pleased to know that 200 of these infernal blades are on the way to me for disposal.

12. DDuckyMark

I don't really have a focus in mind. I'm just going to shave once everyday with a quick one pass. Working everyday is tiring. When they get me some help and I have a few days off then I'll start shaving normally again.

This month I'm just here for the cookies.

13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

My focus will be bringing all my straights to a smooth shaving edge, and learning The Single Edge, if it ever arrives.

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well done comrade!

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

We'll keep extra cookies out for you! Chocolate chip? Macademia Nut? Snickerdoodle?

16. mezzano

mezzano Member

This is my setup for june.
    [​IMG]

poslato sa LG L65

17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

My June focus will be a continuation of the May focus. I plan to mainly use Injector and SE razors. The G1, GEM Featherweight, and GEM MMOC will all be in rotation. I'll occasionally use a DE razor, mainly to gauge whether I want to move towards more injectors and SE as daily drivers.

I'll use various after shaves and always use Nivea Sensitive balm.

I'll continue to use VDH Luxury a good bit to try and finish it off, and then start a soap rotation. Generally I like to use a menthol soap for Mondays, use the same soap for Tuesday-Thursday, Mitchell's Wool Fat on Fridays, TSD soaps on Sundays, and a wild card for Saturday. I'll be traveling for vacation some thing month and will use some soaps that will work well for that.

I look forward to the shenanigans and continuing to learn and grow here in this thread. Here's to June!

Drygulch, ob1page, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Congrats on one year and on breaking in your Omega Pro.

19. DDuckyMark

Do you have anything in Mint?

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well here is the pic of the gear for June. As I mentioned earlier, straights and pain sticks all the way. Well, ok, so I'll keep the Super Speed loaded with a Rapira as a back up to either finish a shave if necessary or for a day off. Not planning any days off though. My reason for this focus is twofold. First of all, to work my technique with both styles of razors to continue to improve. I've had good luck with both, and have improved every time I've spent time on them. Second, to see how different two razors of the same type are in technique. The Rabbit is a 5/8 carbon blade, the Gold Dollar a 6/8 stainless. And as far as the sticks go, the Feather features the lip at the edge while the Greager does not. Those little changes may make a big difference. My goal is obviously great shaves....JOLLY good shaves. The reality may be a bit of bloody pain and suffering to work them into those great shaves, and that would make @Mr. Freeze93 and a few others JOLLY if I have to suffer a bit more. :happy088:

Razors are the W.B. Speed Rabbit and Gold Dollar 800 for the TSR's, and the Feather SS and CJB Greager for the pain sticks. I'll be using a couple of different blades in the sticks, most likely a Kai Mild and/or Dorco. Maybe a Feather Pro for a trial. Soaps are my top two, Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac. Brushes, my top three. Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip, Omega 10066 Boar, and Vie-Long 12601 Horse. As far as post shave goes? What else....the Veg! And also some Tabac cologne arriving shortly for days I want a break from the Veg or don't need its magical properties in reeling in customers. Good thing I'm not superstitious. Please notice there are absolutely no products from the William Marvy Company involved in this month's shaves.

Here's to a great month of great shaves!

June 2016 Focus.jpg

Rufus T., Keithmax, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.