June 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2016.

?

What gear are you planning to use this month?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2016.
  1. Traditional Straights and/or Kamisori

21.9%
  2. DE razors

40.6%
  3. SE razors, including injectors

28.1%
  4. Pain Stick(s)

3.1%
  5. Some combination of the above

21.9%
  6. Just having cookies, thank you.

3.1%
  7. I'll mix it up and have milk with my cookies, thank you.

9.4%
  8. Rusty can lids. Oh, sorry, that was last month.

6.3%
  9. Enough with the stupid poll already, either give me a cookie or shut up.

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Tuesday Focus Shave and June focus reflections:

This month I wanted to get the same quality shave and consistency with straights as I get from top DE razors. I accomplished this but I am still not at the level of shaves I get from 2011 R41. That razor still out shaves all other DE, SE and straights for me... the good news is that I am getting closer and closer to that type of shave. All but 2 straight shaves this month were As across the board.

I refreshed this razor on the finishing stones Sunday, PRC kamisori. The edge was wonderful and the shave was easy going. No irritation and BBS.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A Sharpness A

max - 1.jpg

NCoxSTL, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Jolly Good June!

June 27

A week of just plain good shaves

Razor - '59 Super Speed
    Blade - ladas-super-stainless.jpg (1)
    Soap - Proraso
    Brush - BoS Omega 10066
    Post - Alum/Proraso

Saturday in my world and a relaxing and different day. That explains waiting until now to post. We had friends over to watch the Game of Thrones finale last night, slept in a bit this morning, and after I shaved and had coffee we headed to Cuivre River State Park near here to spend the day sitting in the creek and doing a lot of nothing. Had a Pork Tenderloin sandwich and onion rings from a small out of the way store near the park and finally home to do a lot of nothing.

As for the shave this morning, it started with my usual head shave with one small difference. Merkur 23c was normal, Astra SP was normal, Proraso was not. I forgot to buy more VDH Deluxe this past week so just used the Proraso. I will say....VDH provides a bit more slickness for the head shave. I was a bit surprised at that. Not that it was horrible, just not as slick as the VDH usually is. Finished with no issues and moved on to the regular shave. Changed brushes and razors and the blade and got a great lather again with the Proraso, two passes to a nice DFS and all was well with the world. Since it was a day off and I was headed to the trees I chose Proraso A/S as a nice change. SWMBO approved.

Hope you all had a fantastic day, even if you had to call it Monday! Tomorrow I'm going to throw a special event in for you.......because I have this blade that I haven't yet tried.......

Chinese Tiger.jpg
    I'll use what should be a good razor (still deciding) and see if these are as bad as the "real thing" that is horrid. Should be fun! For someone anyway.

3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

What's the worst that could happen?
    image.gif

4. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Hey Mr. Ambassador, I use your photo on my Facebook page today!

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Happy Birthday to @BearCWY! Hope you've had a great day.

7. Bama Samurai

First Ericsson on the thread! Cool...

8. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

9. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

It was quiet around here today mostly, with a call from a friend and my brother this morning, and visit with my Parents and sister this afternoon. I got the razor I mentioned in the mail today and a couple of gifts that are on there way. I had a really good Birthday today and thank you all on here for your Birthday wishes!

10. Bama Samurai

Jolly June!!!

[​IMG]

Menthol style, but you know me... I don't get nuts with it! Today was truly a great shave. Two easy passes for near BBS and zero irritation. Voskhod works very well in a salon razor! I am looking this thing so much that I am considering just doing DE blade trials in this Leopard for July. To use DE blades in this thing, they must be snapped in half. So far 2 shaves in on blade one of two. I have a feeling a hundred DE blades would last about two years in this razor. Long day today in the full sun, wind and near 100 temps. Menthol felt nice after all that. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a terrific Tuesday!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Drygulch, Linuxguile, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  11. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

Slap that bad boy into a Old Type or Duct Tape it to a popsicle stick.... eliminate all variables as well.... no press shave oil, no water, no nothing... just dry shave therefore you can really focus on the blade and wont have anything else offering some relief distracting your overall thoughts on the blade.

do it too it girl.gif

mrchick, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Super Glue
    Flexible straw

Disco!

Drygulch, Linuxguile, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Lets not over-engineer this.
    image.jpeg

Keithmax, mrchick, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm not so sure that might improve the shave. If it's as bad as we expect maybe the wrong things to do would be the right things?

15. Bama Samurai

My bad.

Duct tape
    Flexible straw

Pliers are too much like a real razor.

Hey y'all....watch this!

RyX, Keithmax, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Needle nose would provide more maneuverability.

Keithmax, Drygulch, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Seek not the perfection of purity,
    Rather,
    Seek the purity of perfection.

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Should I drink a six pack before, during, or after to make sure that quote works?

19. Bama Samurai

Liquor before beer and you'll have nothing to fear.

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I like the idea for a focus with this thing. Of course I'm sure nothing would beat the Voskhod. Until it does. I haven't yet tried a shavette. Trying to resist the temptation now. Fortunately I have some shinies in front of me to distract me from jumping on the bay.

Drygulch, Linuxguile, ob1page and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.