June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Fatip is one fine razor once you tame it.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

June 2017!!!

Trials and Tribulations

June 24

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Well I'm happy to say that the Topaz responded well to the new setting on the Slim. Unlike the SM Blue Diamond, there was definitely an improvement in performance tonight. I got some nice audible feedback from the blade as well as a nice smooth feel and two passes and touchup got a very nice DFS. This blade won't be a baby machine but it apparently can deliver a very nice and effective shave in the right razor. It didn't have any hint of getting harsh but we'll see if more aggression brings that out tomorrow.

Interesting note - with the discussion of sputtered and sputtering and all that, I was looking at some data on blades today and ran onto some quite technical pictures and discussion of blades prior to and after sputtering. I suddenly feel quite intellectual and thought about putting on a smoking jacket and swirling some brandy while typing this. However, the closest thing I have to a smoking jacket is a beat up old sweater and the closest thing to brandy is iced tea. Didn't seem worth the effort. So I thought I'd leave diagram showing how it all works that I know is as clear to you as it is to me. Have a great weekend!

Sputter_Deposition.jpg

3. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Thanks Charlie. That helped a ton! Mostly by showing that some things I was trying to do (for example go sideways under my lower lip or on my neck) were either not possible or not advisable, even for the guys who are seasoned. Much simpler than I was making it.

Drygulch, MR41, wristwatchb and 5 others like this.
  4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Sunday June 25 -
    Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 1 )
    30DC LE Cashmere Maple brush
    Stirling Naked and Smooth shaving soap
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Astringent Aftershave

Today was my introduction to Stirling soaps. Naked and Smooth is one of Stirling's unscented versions. Unlike some unscented soaps, it does seem genuinely unscented, not smelling of tallow or any other soap ingredients. It easily worked up into a slick, protective lather. At the end, it left my face feeling clean, soft and well-hydrated. I used the witch hazel aftershave mainly because using WH at the end is my normal routine rather than from any strongly felt need.

Two passes brought me to a near BBS with no irritation or complaints from the alum or the alcohol in the aftershave. I feel clean and refreshed and ready to face the day...

Drygulch, MR41, wristwatchb and 10 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

June 25, 2017
    OneBlade Core
    Feather
    Romera Olive Wood Synthetic
    Fine L’Orange Noir

[​IMG]

On a road trip with my daughter in Morgantown, WV. I love the L'Orange Noir soap in shave stick form. The Romera whipped up a great lather despite me not using enough product. A smooth effortless 3 pass shave followed my minimal touch ups came close to the baby. A splash of the matching aftershave and we are off to hike this morning. I hope everyone has a great Saturday

Drygulch, MR41, NCoxSTL and 11 others like this.
  6. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

Stirling Gentleman is the first one I want to try from them. But I'm watching my spending now. Still haven't got a full paycheck from my new job and I have an already planned vacation that will be unpaid because of the new job. Gotta save those pennies.

I really want to get it down. But I'm thinking of trying the Astra SP in it. When I started using the Gillette flairtip with a Gillette Silver Blue and then switched to the Astra it was night and day. The Astra was sooo much better on my face. So maybe it will be the same with the Fatip.

Drygulch, wristwatchb, RyX and 7 others like this.
  7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sunday, June 25, 2017

El Druida D-7 Manchurian
    CRSW Juniper
    Colonial Razors 'The General"
    Feather Pro Super
    CRSW Juniper AS
    ADP Blu Mediterraneo Ginepro

[​IMG]

Drygulch, MR41, Linuxguile and 10 others like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

An excellent strategy.

Always works for me.

I started with just 1/2 a pass then slowly worked my way up to 4. WTG, XTG, XTG opposite direction then ATG. ATG on my neck was the hardest to figure out, it goes from ear to chin.

Learning to use both hands made it possible to get the angles I need. I used a CJB shavette without a blade to figure out the grip, angles and build muscle memory.

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Nice travel set up, Clint! I am a bit behind, but it looks like you are having fun with your daughter! Enjoy the trip and have safe travels.

Drygulch, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture, Mark!

Drygulch, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It's always a great day when I get a nice shave with a razor I honed. I cleaned and honed this baby yesterday for this morning and just had a very nice shave
    Mama Bear Earl Grey Tea Soap
    Wolf Whiskers Brush
    H & J.W. King 8/8 Razor
    Thayers WH
    St. John's Bay Rum
    Have a blessed Sunday!
    [​IMG]

Drygulch, MR41, Linuxguile and 11 others like this.
  12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Astra SP is usually a great choice for learning with any razor. It seems to be the most forgiving of all the blades I've tried. I started with it and still keep a couple hundred around to make sure I always have one when I need it.

Drygulch, Fup, wristwatchb and 8 others like this.
  13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Chiming in with my daily set-up. Blackland Blackbird with the original closed comb plate, Rapira, RazoRock Plissoft brush, homemade (by someone else) shaving soap, Ogallala Bay Rum or Limes & Peppercorns. Easy peasy.

14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Nah! Not the smoking jacket and brandy. Wrong stereotype. Try Lab Coat and a slightly clueless adolescent to explain it all to.
    [​IMG]

Although, I was really thinking so more like this:
    [​IMG]

Drygulch, MR41, wristwatchb and 9 others like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That's how we welcome newbies to the 30DC

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. We are having a great time. She and I got in a great hike this morning. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Hey Troy! Homemade soap? I'm curious, tell more!

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

It says H&J, but it looks W&B. There's a little bit of shoulder. Is it a wedge?

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  19. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I bought it back in 2014 from IanS aka SliceOfLife on B&B. I think I bought 7 pucks for about $20. I don't think Ian makes soap any longer.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.