June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

June 1
    Schick E w Personna (3)
    TGN Boar
    Jeeves Apothecary SS
    Thayers Unscented
    Barrister's Reserve Cool
    image.jpg
    Continuing with the Injector focus. Day 3 with this combo. Got a 3 pass near BBS shave again this morning. I have gotten a few really nice, close shaves with this razor and blade the past couple of mornings. Did give myself two sizable weepers that needed the styptic. Looks like I still need a few more days with this combo.
    Finished off with the fantastic Cool...it is only 9 days until the soap version is released!
    Have a great day all!

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I will be in again for June. Don't think I'll have much of a focus other than going back to some injectors after a month of SE razors. I do plan to take a page from @Drygulch and try to use up some samples that have accumulated in my den. That will work well because I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks this month and don't need to take a lot of gear. The soap pass-around box will be returning to me as well and that will help since there will be some good sampling from it.

Have a great month!

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Andrew!

4. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Mark. I really like the brush.

5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Yes!

Screwtape, SharptoothC, RyX and 4 others like this.
  6. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I'm loving it so far one of my favorite blades.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

7. Norcalnewb

I think I have a focus for June, but I am already a day behind. I going to pick a DE blade and use it until I can't use it anymore. Everyday for every shave. I will vary the razors and soaps, but the blade will stay the same until it won't shave anymore. I have never really pushed a DE blade to see how long I can shave with it before, so I am going to now. I think I got 21 shaves out of a SE once (and I had only thrown it out because I dropped the blade and rolled the edge), so it will be interesting to see how long a DE holds out. When I decide it can't shave anymore, then I will toss it and pick another to repeat. I will probably take the opportunity to break out a SE or straight, but then back to the DE.

NCoxSTL, Screwtape, wchnu and 11 others like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Any thoughts on the first brand to try ? I've had my best longevity out of GSB's, Rapira PL, and Bic Chrome Platinum

9. PLAla

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD June 1, 2017

Blade: GEM carbon
    Razor: Ever Ready 1924 SE
    Brush: Surrey badger
    Lather: Stirling Dunshire
    WTG, touch up

Today was off focus due to continuing a razor pass-around from Tom. Tried the 1924 today. I may try a shim with it tomorrow as today's shave was a little uncomfortable. Smooth results in the end and no irritation, but it wasn't as comfortable as the 1912 and 1914. No fault from the lather. Stirling is great stuff.

Enjoy your day!

SOTD 6-1-17.JPG

MR41, NCoxSTL, Screwtape and 11 others like this.
  10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I haven't a clue yet what my June focus will be. I'm still thinking about it.
    Today's shave.
    TSD Iced Pink Grapefruit Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Portland Razor Company Siren
    Lucky Tiger
    Ogallala Bay Rum After Shave
    Have fun!

(Forgot to take a pic)

11. Linuxguile

The 1924 shovelhead is one of the more aggressive ER/Gem type razors, at least to me. Much more bite to it then the 1912.

12. Linuxguile

The lather pic you posted yesterday was great, Brian!

13. PLAla

I agree! I didn't know that and just went to town like normal. Figured it out in about two strokes!

14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. This TSD soap lathers well!

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. I tried the H1 SS on loan from Wade a couple of years ago. It's on the aggressive side.

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shot Mark. I need to give the Flat Top a go with shave sticks next time. Maybe it won't eat as much soap.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You'll get the razor figured out. At least you are getting good results but just need to eliminate the weepers. I take it you're getting the Cool Soap.

18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm absolutely getting the soap, Clint. Am somewhat disappointed to hear it won't be mentholated like the AS though.

19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

My focus this month will be on getting close comfortable shaves, working through my soap rotation, and breaking in a new to me boar brush. I can't get my left hand wet right now, so the beginning of the month will be one handed safety razors. I hope to be back on straights by the end of the month.

Keithmax, MR41, NCoxSTL and 11 others like this.
  20. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Razor: Portland Razor Co Chimera
    Strop: Drygulch 45
    Brush Handle: B-400 The Brush by Tom
    Knot: APShaveCo Tuxedo
    Soap: Talbot Shaving Holland Glen
    Post Care: Thayers Witch Hazel
    Alum
    Osage Rub
    Aftershave: Chatillon Lux La Forest de Liguest

Wonderful early morning shave today. Lathering up and letting it sit for a while really helps soften the beard. Three passes today; no blood , silent alum and a DFS. The Talbot is a fantastic soap; great scent, easy to lather and very slick. I can see why it's sells out so fast. This Chatillon Lux scent is also fantastic. It starts off green with a slight citrus but now that it has dried down I'm getting vanilla and musk. As usual the performance is top notch. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

wristwatchb, Keithmax, MR41 and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.