June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very nice!!! I have the JR#176. They are great!! I will be watching to see what you think of the knot.

2. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

So far so good of course I was using the Razorock Bruce plissoft prior to this brush very similar performance this feels a little softer and is a little smaller but that's all I can notice on the knot for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you for tip! I'll look him up.

4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Very, very cool. Family heirlooms are awesome. Congrats on a very special gift!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

June 2017!!!

Trials and Tribulations

June 19

Razor - 1959 Super Speed
    Blade - sharp-star.jpg (2)
    Soap - Fatbac
    Brush - BoS Omega 10066
    Post - Alum

First day of vacation and it was a glorious day of doing absolutely nothing. Well, a few things. Such as taking this.......
    Fatbac before.jpg
    and turning it into this.........

Fatbac after.jpg

Remnants of a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat and a puck of Tabac, grated together and mixed with a little water to be pressed down into the bowl, producing that gold standard of soaps (so I've heard), that I call Fatbac for lack of a better term.

I also grated the remnants of two Arko sticks and added them to my mug of Arko just to clear out some space in my cabinet.

Since I now have the Mitchell's/Tabac hybrid in house I decided to give it a go. I will say the scent is quite interesting. I love the scent of each of the soaps individually and when you blend them it produces a very nice aroma if a bit indescribable. A "clean Tabac" scent? If that makes sense.

Anyway, grabbed the Super Speed and Sharp Star I keep ready for rescue shaves and had a very nice and enjoyable three pass shave. I did the full third pass mostly because the brush was so heavy with lather after two passes I hated to waste it. Fatbac lathers up extremely easily and produces a rich, slick, thick lather. I love both of these soaps individually. Together they bring out the best in each.

No blood, nicks, cuts, irritation as the alum was quiet....just a great relaxing vacation shave. I think tomorrow is a day dedicated to cleaning razors, reorganizing blades and having some more productive fun. SWMBO hurt her knee yesterday so is partially immobile until it heals a bit. Not to wish bad things but another day with her on the couch with her leg elevated wouldn't break my heart. I'll make it up to her later in the week when we can do some running around together while I'm off.

6. SharptoothC

Tonight's shave:
    Feather Artist Club SS Kamisori-style
    Maggard Plissoft 26mm
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill (thanks @BaylorGator!)
    Florida Water

Boy, what a shave! I finally have this razor figured out, and it provides great shaves now. I no longer fear it. Respect? Yes. Bit if I take my time the confidence is now there. And that Glacial Lemon Chill? What a soap! I'm a menthol junky, and this delivers. At first it smelled of lemon gum drops to me, bit it opened up into a nice lemon zest when lathered. The lather was on point, and the Florida Water was the perfect follow up. Fantastic summer shave, and a wonderful pick me up to end a hot and overcast day.

7. SharptoothC

This makes me want to give it a try. I may have to buy some of the fat just to make me some Fatbac.

Drygulch, wristwatchb, RyX and 4 others like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

That is a beautiful pocket watch Jim. What a great gift.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

9. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Chris!

10. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Knowing you were a self proclaimed menthol junkie, I knew you'd like the lemon chill. Glad you are enjoying it, Chris! It's good stuff!

11. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

Did a quick WTG pass today with some touch up on my chin. My face is loving the Gillette/Astra after the Piccolo. Just a tinge from the alum on my chin yesterday after a 2 pass and felt nothing today after one pass. Still a very nice SAS.

Have a great Tuesday everyone and happy shaving!

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

What a great gift and the watch looks fantastic. It is nice to have things that are passed down through the generations. I have my grandfather's Hamilton pocket watch which is very similar to yours. Unfortunately he was not as careful and had cracked the face. I was able to get the face repaired and the watch cleaned up and working. For years in hung inside a glass globe on the mantle. With the last move it ended up in the safety deposit box.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

June 20, 2017
    Damaskeene Open Comb
    Gem PTFE
    “Amgios” Simpson CH2 Synthetic
    AOS Ocean Kelp Shaving Cream
    Floid Blue

[​IMG]

Even though I asked for no shaving related Father's Day gifts, I did end up with 1 soap and 1 cream from my wife. My wife loves the AOS stores so it was no surprise on the brand of the soap and creams. Up today is the AOS Ocean Kelp shaving cream. I get a very light pleasant aquatic type scent with a hint of citrus which I find very pleasing. The cream was very easy to whip into a very good slick lather. Another uneventful automatic 3 pass near BBS shave followed by a splash of Floid Blue and I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

Keithmax, Fup, Linuxguile and 12 others like this.
  14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

June 20th
    Gillette Aristocrat Jr. w Polsilver (4)
    TGN Synthetic
    B&M Seville
    Thayers
    Stirling Barbershop AS
    image.jpg
    Day 4 of the Jr. focus, day four with this blade. Another pleasant shave this morning. An excellent lather and 3 passes later am near BBS. One tiny weeper that didn't survive the alcohol. Will switch out the Polsilver for a Voskhod tomorrow to keep the focus going.
    Have a great day all!

Keithmax, Fup, Linuxguile and 12 others like this.
  15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm traveling this week and loving the 30 plus temperature drop from home
    Travel SOTD
    Travel SOTD
    Arko Shave Stick
    AoS Pure Badger Brush
    Tuckmar Razor
    Mennen Skin Bracer After Shave
    Have fun![​IMG]

Keithmax, Fup, Linuxguile and 11 others like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

This came out of my dad's safety deposit box as well. I have it my safe at home until I figure out what to do with it. We don't have a lot of heirlooms from our family, so this one has some extra meaning to our family.

17. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Clint!

18. Norcalnewb

IMG_0340.JPG

Jun 20 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    La Toja Shave Stick
    Gillette Flair Tip Rocket
    Voskhod (13)
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Proraso Red AS

Shave 13 on the Voskhod, and after a few days of no shaves, it did an admirable job of cutting everything down. I ended with a DFS, which felt really good as things were starting to get itchy. I hope everyone has a great day!

Keithmax, Fup, Linuxguile and 13 others like this.
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0578.JPG
    20 June 2017 Blade Focus Shave

This morning's shave is brought to you by the Cella, Crema Da Barba.
    Using JR#161, a slick, creamy, protective lather was accomplished.
    The Krona/Shark duo made short work of my workday stubble. 2.5 passes with one little "oops" on my lower neck that the hot/cold rinse and alum block took care of. My lower neck is always a problem, as the hair seems to grow in several different directions in the space of approximately 2 inches. Any old whoo, I splashed on some Cella Lozione Dopobarba and smelling like a proper Italian gentleman, headed off to work. Luckily it isn't going to be as humid as it was yesterday.
    Have a fantastic Tuesday my fellow Denizens!

Keithmax, Fup, Linuxguile and 13 others like this.
  20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Great shot, Jim!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.