June 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2018.

?

What was your first razor when you saw the light?

1. Weishi/Van der Hagen/ Microtouch

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Gillette TTO (Super Speed, Aristocrat)

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. Gillette Adjustable

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Cheap 3 piece or TTO found online or in a store

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  5. SE of some kind

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Straight razor - because I was manly like that

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, and was given a razor.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, woke up with no memory of the first shave.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Awesome, Perry! Love the setting as well.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Fun surprise!

3. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Thanks Clint....I think so too. Her faces are priceless when one of the pets tries to jump on her lap. Glad you & the family made it home safe & sound. Happy Father's Day!

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 5 others like this.
  4. FaceScraper

First off, Happy Father’s Day to all the 30DC Dads!

Secondly, great photos and reports today guys! No way am I going to even try to comment on all of them, and I’m awful at multi-quoting.

This shave happened this morning, but I’m just now getting around to posting…

I’d say that great minds think alike using the Sheep with a side of Sheep, Jared @PickledNorthern , but my mind isn’t all that great.

Three passes using plate 3 (aggressive) in the Supply. Generous splash of AS. Smooth. Me likey.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. PickledNorthern

Yeah, I don’t know about great on either end, but we seem to have a matching set up there.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 7 others like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

Another Sheep with a side of Sheep.

[​IMG]

-Fessum 6/8
    -Yaqi 30mm Barberpole
    -Stirling Scot’s Pine Sheep Soap
    -Stirling Scot’s Pine AS

34x51

The conversation with @clint64 earlier piqued my interest about the 30 mm Yaqi, so it got handed the ball tonight. What has me really curious is Clint saying the 30mm reminds him of his Chubby 2, but I think it was closer to the Muhle STF. For me it’s the splay. And the Chubby has more scrub. So Clint, assuming the effective loft to the glue bump is the same, (50mm) what is the actual loft, and the diameter at the opening on yours? I have 34 x 60. I know I am really geeking out here, but I’m super curious to know how much of this is YMMV, and how much is difference in knot set.

This is my first straight shave in a couple of weeks at least. I haven’t had time to go anywhere near a hone in months, and my razors are pretty much all red-tagged. I counted on the Fessum being salvageable with a little CrOx, and a good stropping, and I was right. It was really nice to take my time and enjoy a straight shave. Three passes and some touch up left me just missing a BBS by a hair. The bottom of the tub poked its face out today, so there’s at least a third full tub of Stirling that’s going to die this year.

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads, and happy Financial Freedom Day to all who aren’t. Have a great next week.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you Clint! Happy Father’s Day to you.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 4 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave and picture Bruce. I really like the antique look of the photo.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 4 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Another great photo Jared. My 30mm Tuxedo measures out at 31 x 60 with a effective loft of 50mm accounting for the glue bump. I do agree it is much easier to splay than the CH2 but does give a similar face feel due to its size and density. Overall, the 30mm Tuxedo follows my CH2 as my favorite synthetic knot.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 8 others like this.
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thanks, Bruce and Jason!

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 6 others like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thanks Jim and Charlie.

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks Clint. MW is a wonderful product made by a wonderful person, Michelle.

Norcalnewb, RyX, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  13. FaceScraper

Thank you Clint! Back to the ol’ grind again tomorrow?

Drygulch, 9nein9, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

It does have a really full feel to it. Big knot. With yours being a few mm tighter at the handle, that could also firm it up some too.

I haven’t used either the Tuxedo or the STF enough to really form an opinion, but it would be hard to see the Chubby not ending up on top. I could see the STF, and maybe the Tuxedo beating out the Duke synth, just because of the size.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Unfortunately, I am back to the old grind full force tomorrow. The next several months are going to be fairly hectic and stressful but at least I will be busy.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 6 others like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My 1908 does not look that good. I do agree on how nice the shave is. Might be my favorite DE.....until I find a double ring!!

I have a couple of mystery soaps as well. I keep saying I am going to get a lable maker.

Great Sunday shave. I do not have kids but I have helped raise a few from time to time. Always the Uncle I guess....
    The F shaves as good as it looks. The big ole JR 176 boar did a great job on the Boots as usual#

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  17. FaceScraper

Ugh. Coming home from vacation on Sunday and back to work the very next day. That’s a real kick in the teeth...

Drygulch, clint64, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  18. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks Fuzzy. Hope you find your double ring!

Drygulch, FaceScraper, jluc and 6 others like this.
  19. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thanks guys . Hope you all enjoyed your day as well!

Drygulch, FaceScraper, jluc and 4 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I am up to 70% Kung Fu power. At least sneezing didn't make my eyes water today.

My agent hasn't released the images yet, but I used my Father's Schick today. I also spoke with him for like an hour by telephone. My status as family black sheep was secured long ago, but I've always really respected my father for the man he is, and still look up to him.

Shave was good. Day was too.

Final score for the last week:

Earth 3, Samurai 0

Next round starts tomorrow! Other than that, all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a groovy Monday!
    ;)

Drygulch, FaceScraper, jluc and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.