Just curious... Why is Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum so popular?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by rockds, Jun 24, 2011.

1. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

After reading this thread, I stopped at Walgreens tonight. Wanted to check and see if they had any Clubman. I bought a bottle of Original Clubman. I think it smells good. We were on the fire truck when I stopped, so all the guys on the truck smelled it too. Reminds me of an old barber shop smell. Just like the big bottles of AS I used to see on the counter at the barber shop.

I'm going to use an Arko shave stick in the morning, followed up with some Clubman. I wonder what my wife will think when I get home tomorrow?:D

I'm really enjoying the "Old" smells that seem to go hand in hand with DE wet shaving! C@@L :cool:

EnglishChannel and Paul Turner like this.
  2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Yep, first time I smelled Clubman it instantly transported me back to my childhood, back when dad used to take me to the barbershop for a haircut once a month.

Like I've said before, my dad and the barbershop are both gone now, but the memories alone are reason enough for me to always have and use the original Clubman. :)

3. rockds

rockds New Member

Me too! I love the old scents. The really do go with the nature of the DE shaving. Maybe I should have gotten a bottle of the Clubman original too... ah well.

Going to have a shave today, my growth is slow so my shaves are every 2-3 days. Hopefully, it'll be as successful as my last shave:D

4. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Now, if it only tasted as good as it smelled.... :sick007

EnglishChannel likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

How do you know it doesn't? :rolleyes:

Nope. Can't recall ever getting any aftershave in my mouth.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  6. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

The more I smell of the original, the more it smells like Brut to me.

Anybody else think that?

[​IMG]

7. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Not to my nose. Clubman has its own, original, distinctive aroma, as does VIBR of course. I don't get any hints of Brut at all. On the other hand, Booster Mosswood does make me think of Brut a little. But we must always remember which product came first. Brut is a relative newcomer - 1964. Pinaud Clubman products predate Brut by a very long time, as do Booster aftershave products - 1920.

EnglishChannel and Paul Turner like this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

My dad and I both agree with you. To me they are nearly identical.

9. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

I used Brut years ago and always liked it. I haven't smelled it in quite a while, so the other day when I went into CVS to pick up a bottle of the regular Clubman for rockds, I noticed a bottle of Brut sitting on the shelf.

There was no plastic wrap or sealer around the bottle, so I opened it and smelled for a comparison. It definitely reminds me of the Clubman, but I could tell a little difference after having recently smelled them both.

I still agree with you, they're very similar!:D

While I was in there I bought a bottle of the Gillette Cool Wave for me. It looked like it was menthol but wasn't. Sooo I added some menthol crystals and now it's more like "Cool Iceberg" instead of Cool Wave!:D NICE!

10. GreyBeard

GreyBeard Member

I used Brute back in the day because Joe Willie Namath said it was good stuff!!:cool:

ninjack likes this.
  11. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

You know, now that you mention it, I remember him doing those commercials. I guess it was cool that he endorsed it, but if my memory serves me correct, he had some smoking women with him in those commercials!:cool:

And you know if he could get them using Brut, then so could we!

12. tristen

tristen Member

I like the original clubman for nostalgia sake. When I was five, my mom bought me an Avon kids play razor set. It came with a blue plastic toy DE, a small tube of shave foam, and a small bottle of clubman. Fast-forward almost 20 years and I randomly picked up a bottle at walgreens... only to remember the smell of the aftershave from when I was 5.
    Now I use it regularly.

13. Because clubman virgin island bay rum is as fresh as an island breeze! I really like it. Personally I don't like modern scents, but that's just me. In warm months I mix lime sec with it. Stephans and masters are nice as well.

14. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

Guess I get to be the only voice of dissent. I really dislike Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. I find the heavy cloves smell to be repulsive. I much prefer the Master Bay Rum.

I also got zero burn from the Clubman Bay Rum.

15. rockds

rockds New Member

NO BURN:eek::confused: It burns like the fires of hell!!!:D

Just had my first shave with the Clubman BR and it's beautiful, but boy, does it burn:D:D

16. GreyBeard

GreyBeard Member

I just picked up a bottle. I'm a convert. Burns a tad, but Mom use to say thats how you know its working. (Think Mercurochrome). :eek:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  17. mandoman

mandoman Member

it just smell so good ;)

18. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

When I slap on my aftershave, I like it to slap back!!

19. tristen

tristen Member

Hell hath no fury like that of a scorned woman and/or clubman aftershave

I much prefer the aftershave, the burn goes away after a while =^_^=

20. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

"Do you smell that? It's Virgin Island Bay Rum, son. Nothing else on the world smells like that. I love the smell of Virgin Island Bay Rum in the morning. It smells like victory."