Just got a new safety razor on ebay...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Big Dick Dubloon, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Big Dick Dubloon

Big Dick Dubloon New Member

I just won this safety razor on ebay cheap. I assume it is a pretty good deal because it was so cheap (under $10 shipped), but I was wondering if anyone knew what it's model name and years of manufacture were. Is it real gold plated, or just painted with something. It looked to me to be in decent shape and I like that it has the spare blade case, which seems to be often missing in these old auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350129407401

I am planning on being a straight razor shaver but I think that a safety razor will be good if I am in a hurry and don't have time for a straight shave. Plus, I haven't started straight shaving yet and I'll have this in case it doesn't turn out to be for me.

Thanks for any input,
    Dick

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

It looks like a NEW Debutante. They were gold plated, but the plating is notoriously thin. The NEW series ran from 1929 until the early 40's. One of my favorites and really highly rated shavers all around. You got a fantastic deal!

3. Big Dick Dubloon

Thanks for the id. I figured it was a good deal because of how cheap it was, but looking around more, I am shocked at how cheap old safety razors are going for. I'm hoping to be a straight razor shaver but with these so cheap and neat, I might do both so I can have an excuse to collect safety razors.

Dick

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

This will really depend on which razor you buy. If you get into serious collecting, dropping a C-note on a razor becomes a bizarrely easy habit -- and then you start bragging about the bargain you scored for "only" $50 or $60.

5. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Let the RAD begin!

6. Big Dick Dubloon

Damn it, does that mean I got a ladies' razor? Now everyone is going to think Big Dick Dubloon has gone swishy. I'll try it for a while till my straight razor comes, but this may turn into a good excuse for a full blown case of RAD, because I can't be expected to use a woman's (debutante=rich teen girl, right?) razor. I'll have to get another!

Dick

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Nuts to that kind of thinking!

One of my faves: Lady Blue Star. Super Speed head on an extra long aluminum handle -- and it's downright purdy! ;)

8. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Unless that girl knows her razors, I doubt anyone would notice!:laugh042

9. Big Dick Dubloon

Yeah, that blue star is cool. I am a big fan of the retro deco styles from the fifties. I might have to pick one of those up.

Dick