Just got my New Weber DLC WOW!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bdlehr, May 17, 2012.

1. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

I had read a lot of good stuff about the Weber Razor and wanted to get one. It took a while to find one as Weber was out of them. I had to wait about a month. Here are my first impressions... Quality, Quality, Quality. The Black DLC head is very smooth and the razor seems well balanced. The fit and finish is first rate. I detected no problems of any sort. The Bulldog handle is thicker and heavier than I expected. I found the razor to feel extremely precise- neither weighted to the bottom nor the top. The handle is thicker than I expected and feels good in the hand. The handle has deeper knurling than most razors I've used. It will not be easy to drop this razor. I did my usual prep, gave the razor a quick wash and loaded it with one of the included Astra Superior Platinum Blades. The resultant shave was very close and completely irritation free. I had no nicks or weepers. It seemed to shave as close as my Merkur Slant with far less irritation. I have a new favorite!!

Barry

Attached Files:

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Congrads on the new razor. So far I've only been hearing good things about the Weber and you seem to have added yet one more to the mix...

3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

:signs011:

Enjoy!

4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Sweet looking razor, Great news that it shaves so good.

5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I have had the Weber long handle with ARC head and the short heavy handle with DLC head for about a month and they are my favorite razors. Nothing else comes close. The Futur is excellent and I haven't tried the Tradere yet, but Weber so far is superior to the rest of the field vintage and modern and for a very reasonable price and Made in America. I can get a BBS shave in 2 passes with the Weber.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  6. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

The Weber DLC found it's way into my razor rotation. Great Razor.

7. ZackPomerleau

ZackPomerleau Active Member

Looked at some pictures of it. It's a super nice looking razor for sure!

8. denfelo

denfelo New Member

I have had the Weber long handled DLC for several months and like it a lot. Is the bulldog handled ARC that much different? I am trying to decide between that and the Muhle R41. Different beasts I know.

9. lindyhopper66

The bulldog handle with DLC head makes the whole razor heavier and thus gets a closer shave a little faster on the first pass than the longer lighter handle. I haven't tried the long handle with the DLC or the bulldog with the ARC yet, but the other way around. Both are very good choices. I have been afraid to try the much touted Muhle R41 and feel I get a plenty close, safe shave with the Webers.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  10. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

It just isn't fair! I was all done buying razors for a while, and now comes this thread... So... DLC on the way! Now, how aggressive is this razor? I usually set my Fatboy on 4, sometimes 5. How will the Weber compare?

11. lindyhopper66

Hard to compare a Weber to a particular adjustment on the Fatboy or any adjustable. All I can say is that with the DLC head and bulldog handle, I get the closest first pass shave I've ever gotten compared to any adjustment with a slim adjustable or fatboy or GEM SE with no roughness or tugging or fear of nicks or weepers. So if you want that type of aggressive, it's got it, but not the dangerous kind of aggressive. More of the forgiving kind of aggressive.

178-bplatoon and GDCarrington like this.
  12. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nice razor, congrats.

13. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Oh, I'm looking forward to this...! :happy108:

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:whacky024:
    I just ordered the Weber BullDog handle today to use with my EJ 89 and vintage Gillettes although I hear it won't fit some of the Gillettes. I got on the list to be informed when the ACR heads come back in stock. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to the EJ and the Gillette NEW.

15. lindyhopper66

Well, I finally did get that Tradere and used the Weber Bulldog to try and tame it. I later traded it for a straight. I still have the Webers. They are the best.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Am I the only one who automatically thinks "Weber Downloadable Content" every time the DLC is mentioned?

17. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

I own a Weber ARC and I still think...

weber-one-touch-gold-kettle-large.jpg

...every single time.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I got my Weber BullDog SS handle today. Ordered it from Weber on friday afternoon through Amazon and got it today Monday. I think thats the FASTEST I've ever received an online order from anyone! The handle itself is impressive, nice weight and demensions, also the best knurling I've ever felt. If you like a razor handle with grip you'll like the Weber BullDog. I got it in fact to replace the handle on my main razor an EJ89, nice razor head but WAY too smooth of a handle. Always felt like it was going to slip out of my hands when I'd shave with it. Which brings up a small worry I had about the handle over the weekend. I emailed a friend to tell him I was getting it (he has the DLC version with the standard handle) and he told me his handle wouldn't fit his EJ89. I WAS NOT happy with that bit of news. So first thing as soon as I got it out of the box was to check it for fit. Well it does fit the EJ89 perfectly also the Gillette Old Style US & UK version, the Gillette NEW, the Gillette Tech US/UK, Star and the Parker 97R HD. Two words of caution on the Gillette Old Style and Star, the cap will rattle slightly without a blade inserted or the handle screwed in real tight, also don't drop this thing on your barefoot it will hurt"lol"! I can't wait till the ARC razors come back in stock so I can get a complete razor. AHHHHH the joys of R.A.D. Thanks for letting me share.