Just had the most smoothest, most non irritating shave of my life!

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by cxerphax, Aug 5, 2011.

1. cxerphax

cxerphax New Member

But it was not from my Merkur safety razor. I recently bought a Colonol Conk Trac II handle. Man oh man, it cut all my hairs, and caused no razor bumps, razor burn, no nothing. I honestly have never felt this way after shaving with anything except an electric. But to be fair im not good with my DE yet, but Ive never been good with any razor to be honest, this razor did it for me. Strangely enough even though it felt real great, and faster than a DE, I want to perfect DE shaving. Just wanted to share my experience with my Trac II though, totally reccomend it :)

I kinda felt like it was similar to DE razor shaving cause theres no loob strip and its really basic and chrome handle, anyone feel the same?

crackstar likes this.
  2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Glad to hear you found something that makes your shave enjoyable. :happy088:

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good for you.

Can't say that I feel the same about using a cartridge and being similar to a DE.

4. herzi

herzi Active Member

Congrats.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Bravo! :happy088:

6. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Congrats. I know the Merkur for me gave me irritation like no tomorrow :). Different blades, creams, soaps, balms and WH. Not matter what I did I had some irritation on my neck. But with a Slim or Gillette New that is all fixed :)

7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Isn't it great when it all comes together for a divine shaving experiance....I love it...I haven't used a Trac II in so long I can't comment although I liked them when they first made the scene...Now I'm having a torrid love affair with my Schick Injector...But the way I see it...If it knocks you out, and gives you a great shave...Thats all that matters...Stop check please...:) What kind of soap or cream were you using??

8. cxerphax

cxerphax New Member

I
    I used TOBS sandalwood, I like TOBS jermyn street sensitive skin better but I was doing an experiment too see if nonsensitive protects better cause it seems thicker to me. I'd day they are about the same protection wise.

9. cxerphax

cxerphax New Member

I'd like to get a new Edwin Jagger just to try out but I've invested too much money into this already lol. Maybe in a few months. I don't think it irritates me so much, it's more about blade choice for me. Like the other night I tried out an Israeli persona, close shave but very irritating to my skin, I had razor bumps like you wouldn't belieave and the irritation lasted till the next day. So far astras are still my favorite but I want to try everything first. Next blade i try is red personas.

10. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Yessir. its amazing how much YMMV per blade and razor. I am sure if i kept with the merkur longer i could find more blades that work better. Might have to use FEATHERS. Or something else very sharp and aggressive.... If not the Mekur is being PIFed.

11. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I like the Trac II a lot, I have my father in laws that is dated A1 (1980) and a Bump Fighter handle. My favorite Trac II blades are the Dorco made carts from Dollar General, $1.25 for a six pack. They work great for me and at that price they're as cheap as DE blades. To me the Trac II is about like a double bladed injector.

12. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, which cartridges did you use with it? It comes with its own "double track" cartridges, right? There are a lot of Trac II compatible brands out there, though. That may be why Gillette no longer sells the handles; they can't be sure that people will use Gillette cartridges with them.

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

So Tom, how does that "Bump Fighter" measure up to your 1980 Gillette ? I heard they are both all metal, does the BF feel like real metal or that trashy, weightless pot metal, that feels like painted plastic, almost like you could snap them in half ?

14. Brian

Brian Active Member

Never tried a Trac II to be able to say. I know as far as cartridge razors go, my all time favorite has to be the new Gillettes Guard. I get great shaves with it whenever I use it. But nothing for me gives that same feel or pleasure as using one of my DE. I'm sure as you keep working and getting your style down with your DE your cartridge shaves will get better and better just do to learning technique and style. Glad you had a great shave.

15. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I actually prefer the BF over the Gillette handle. It's metal, has a heavy and solid feel plus it has a grippy rubber surface. I used to use it a lot to shave my head in the shower and never had any problems with it slipping.

Some guys have reported problems with the Dollar General carts not fitting it properly but mine doesn't have that issue. I'd highly recomend that anyone wanting to try the Trac II system should give one of these a spin.

16. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yeah well done, everbody it different its great when you find what works for you. Im a racket re-stringer by trade and the same goes with rackets and strings no one right answer each to there own.