Just ordered my first DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DavidSeattleWA, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Hello!

It's been quite a while since my last post. I haven't been hanging around the forum much but I recently decided to commit myself to the wet shaving thing once and for all. And this time with the proper tools! I had the shaving cream thing down pretty good but no DE or brush to make it complete. Which seems to be working out o.k. but I'm tired of supporting the Gillette empire by forking over $15 for 8 cartridge blades at a pop. Why should I?? So I phoned up Lee at Lee's Razors and he pointed me to the famous Merkur HD. This one seems to be the best choice for a beginner like myself - or really anyone for that matter. I also got myself a 10-pack of merkur blades to complete my purchase. Should have my new razor by next week!

Making this transition should be "interesting". I've never used anything except a Gillette Sensor 3. I'm really excited about this purchase. I feel like this is one of the best purchases I could've made - and long overdue! Took me forever to talk myself into it but there's really no reason not to do it! I'm saving a ton of money on worthless cartridge blades, getting closer and better shaves, and feeling a lot better about not getting ripped off by Gillette! Now all I need is a brush and lathering bowl and I'll be good to go. Yeah, I guess I'm taking baby steps :rolleyes:

I'll report back after my first shave with the Merkur HD! Hopefully I'll still be alive to talk about it :eek:

P.S. For you guys that travel and use a DE razor ..... I'm really curious as to what your experience has been (post 9/11 of course) with going through Security with your DE and blades. What's the rule, if any? I would imagine that if you're allowed to bring your cartridge razor through you'd be allowed to bring a safety as well ....? Please don't tell me I'm going to have to leave my DE at home every time I go somewhere :(

I recall reading something about the rules being different depending on what airport you're in ....?

Any and all feedback would be welcomed!

2. With a DE, a shave becomes a pleasure. Enjoy it and Welcome. I travel extensively with DE without an issue.

3. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Welcome back and good luck!

As far as traveling, safety razors are allowed for carry-on and checked, and from my experience, so are DE blades. Some people say no but this is from TSA:

I travel a lot and I've never had a problem with one pack of blades.

4. Oh, Seattle is one of my favorite destinations. I just spent two days fly fishing the Yakima River out of Ellensburg !

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    The HD is an excellent razor. I shaved with one almost exclusively last year.

6. Yeah I'm excited about this new "journey" :D

Thanks for the response, Lee!

7. Nice!

8. Until you got a Parker 89 R ;) I agree with Sparky, the HD is great and you will soon find yourself trying other razors, blades, soaps, creams, brushes, etc.. It will be fun

9. Excellent, thanks.

10. sparky5693

Administrator
    I do love my 89r, but there's no doubting the HD is a great razor.

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    xChris has some good brushes to start with in the Classifieds right now. Can't beat those prices! :happy088

Good to hear from you, David!

12. No doubt, I still enjoy my 38c barber pole, slant and ss but the 89r is dear to my heart !

13. Oh Queen, nice to see you out tonight !!!!

14. Hi JoAnna! I'll check out the Classifieds, thanks ~

Good to see you, too.

15. Yeah, something tells me that this isn't the only razor I'll end up with. The addiction has begun :eek:

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I've been hard at work all day, trying to catch up on orders.

Made all the shaving cream orders. Soaps tomorrow, and I still have 2 products to add to the store.

Plus, I have a room I need to finish painting.
    :D

17. sparky5693

Administrator
    Yup... It becomes a drive to know you have the item that works best for you. Fortunately, you can reclaim some of that lost cash in the classifieds section , so it's not all bad. :D

18. You are a good woman !

19. This is a great investment. I'm sure I will have no regrets.

20. Take care of yourself because no one else will ;)