Just when you think you've seen it all...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Simply un-frickin'-real.

Doors don't close all the way, knurling is damaged at the top near the neck, plating looks worn and thin in some places and it's not the one in the gold plated metal case.

Market value as is: $140.00 shipped tops

Emotional bidding value as is: $500.20 shipped apparently

2. newb

newb Resident Newb

I do no understand how this guy consistently gets the prices that he does and keeps good feedback? Nice pictures ? Good use of a zoom lens ? His razors always seem to go for insane prices ? I :ashamed001 once won a SS from them (when I first started), it wasn't as nice in person as it appeared in the pictures. :ashamed001 Live and learn. I though did try to apply his zoom lens technique to a couple of mint techs I had and I got over 40 bucks for each tech. I haven't done that since as I felt guilty selling a tech for so much.

3. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

Maybe its because this item had the word "barberpole"...:happy102

There are some sellers that have friends help them drive the price up..and then the friends dont pay a penny if someone else bids..:confused:

ST

4. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Oh the cut-throat, take no prisoners, sellers paradise that is ebay.

Anyone remember when ebay was a place to find deals and goods cheaply?!? In most cases now, ebay is more expensive than Amazon.

5. KiltedShaver

KiltedShaver Member

Ouch. I would consider returning it, or a dispute. Because according to the pictures it looks like the doors close fine, and I see no damage to the knurling. Might be worth it, you might be able to at least get some of the money back.

Description quotes:
    "The Head of this Razor is Bright & Shiny! The Butterfly Doors open Super Smoothly & Close Tightly! The Handle is bright & shiny! This Aristocrat's Gold Plating has withstood the Test of Time Amazingly~!! This Aristocrat looks Absolutely Gorgeous~!!!!"

"The most evident signs of age or wear even worthy of mention are some faint surface scratching to the head & a small blemish around the handle just under the upper ring~As shown in the photos~ "

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah, I remember those days. Sometimes you can find good deals on Etsy, but for the most part the shave stuff is pretty high dollar.

7. IAmTheJody

I didn't buy it. I would never pay that much for a 1935-1940 Aristocrat unless it was brand new old stock with shipper box having not seen the light of day since it left the Gillette factory. I was just pointing it out to others...

And yes, you can plainly see the gap in between the doors when it's closed which means the doors are out of alignment/bent especially in picture 11 where you can see one door corner is a little higher than the other door corner. And the damage on the knurling at the neck is very pronounced and seen in pictures 6, 9 and 10.

8. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I dunno, but looking had his completed auctions makes me sick at the prices. Again, not his fault that people go bid crazy. Unless he really has those subliminal images in the pictures to trigger the "noobie gene"

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I don't know many newbies who are looking to drop the kind of cash these shillers are willing to (not) drop.

11. IAmTheJody

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Self-delusion , ignorance, greed. I never knew Buddhism's triple fire could apply to razor buying but apparently it does.:)

13. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Hi JoAnna. I frequently watch the auctions at this seller. More often then not the feedback scores from many of the bidders are under 10. So they may be noobies to ebay and not necessarily youngsters. I have bought quite a few razors from this seller when they only sold BIN. I have not bought from them in quite some time because of the insane auctions. But I have corresponded with them a few times and inquired about the high prices. I was told it generally is a couple of young guys who go crazy bidding against each other. I don't understand it.

Len

14. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Yes, shill bidding is always a possibility to consider. Easy to suspect, hard to prove; one shouldn't make accusations based on one fishy auction. The best evidence would be to watch a suspected seller's auctions over a long period of time. If he frequently uses shills, there would be patterns of bidding, and you might also see some items re-listed that had apparently already been sold. Some might also go to the second place bidder on "second chance offers", although I don't know if people other than the buyer and seller can see that.

The thing is, if I've decided that I'll go as high as say $20 for an item, a shill is not going to get me up above that. Yet another reason for always putting in last second bids.

Quite a while ago. I did turn down one second chance offer which set off alarm bells. A last second bid beat mine, but revealed what it was, about ten or fifteen dollars more than what had been showing before. Then the seller told me that the winner had backed out, and offered to sell at my maximum. I declined. This was before I started last second sniping myself. I think I need to add, though, that this was not the seller discussed in this thread.

15. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That makes things even more suspicious to me.
    I was not making accusations. This topic is tiring. Ebay is full of scammers, and no auction surprises me, unless it were to be my own being bid to the sky, which has never happened btw. Also, I rarely sell on Ebay anymore.

If we're going to beat this dead horse, let's make it clear; things are not always what they seem on Ebay. Yes, some folks do get carried away, but this carried away? Come on.

If we want to discuss some super rare razor that someone won or even paid some crazy price for; Great! But these threads are just looking to re-hash the same thing; either the seller is some super genius Ebay lister or they're a thief or some newb got carried away. :rolleyes:

Enough's enough. No more of these threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.