Just wow

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, Sep 15, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

So I tried an SE tonight, and I must say they are not for me. Please do not tell me to try it again or try others as I have never ever had razor burn this bad in years. This things just plain out sucked, at least for me. No closer for me than any of my DEs and it gave me razor burn. I am glad it was only 13 bucks. Sorry but I had to rant. Yeah I know, YMMV and mine definitely did.

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What blade was it?

3. BigMark

GEM.

4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Should have tried it on your Wookie first.

BigMark likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it gave you such a terrible shave Mark..:( Could you tell us which type it was(1912, Damaskeen, 1924shovelhead, G bar etc.? And as gorgo2 asked what blade did you use?

6. 178-bplatoon

I usually get good results with a Gem SS.

7. BigMark

MicroMatic Bullet Tip.

8. BigMark

Just for future reference I shave my head and chose the MMBT because it was noted to be a mild razor.

9. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Sorry it didn't work out for you but you're not alone, I've tried a couple different SE razors & blades and really don't like any as much as my DE's either.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    BigMark likes this.
  10. BigMark

I am not really that upset anymore because it is a lesson learned. I would not have known any other way than to have tried an SE. You live and learn. The good thing is my wallet will not suffer as much as all I can use is DEs, well at least until next years income tax return ;).

11. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

That's because you got the worst possible SE... Even I don't like that one. But really you've only given it one shot. Do you remember your first DE shave? I do, and it wasn't nice :p. Even moving from the SS, which I shaved with exclusively for 2 years, to the EJ gave me the worst razor burn imaginable. Of course once I tried again and learned no pressure with this very heavy razor the EJ gave ok shaves with no irritation.

I know, YMMV but I will never go back to a DE. SEs and injectors all the way for me. The ER 1924 opened up a whole nother world for me. After my third shave I decided to sell all my DEs. I've tried a couple more DEs since then to try to give them another shot but they're not for me. I even like twin blade cartridges better...

Boojum1 likes this.
  12. BigMark

However our experiences are reversed. DEs gave you bad shaves and give me good shaves. ;)

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is interesting. The MMBT is my favorite GEM. I make sure that I use GEM PTFE coated SS blades. They are the best. For me anyhow. Sorry it did not work out for you.

Boojum1 likes this.
  14. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I was perfectly content with my DEs until I tried something else. Same as I was with my Fusion. Now, if I had tried the EJ before I had tried the Super Speed as a newb I would have gone back to the Gillette Fusion after one try and having experienced only the EJ, I would wash my hands and say it was only "$30. Lesson learned. I would have never used the SS or anything else. Yep trusty old Fusion.

15. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

16. BigMark

I see the point but I don't want to walk around looking like a radish because my head is totally red.

maltedmilk likes this.
  17. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm selling off all of my SE razors. I was going to start a collection but talked myself out of another acquisition disorder. I just don't use them and when I do, meh. I have tried all of the blades I can get my hands on, I have tried the Gem Featherweight, MMOC, Pushbutton, Bullet Tip and a Schick G (?). I'm sure it has something to do with the rigidity of the blades or perhaps the thickness, but SE razors just don't stand up to DE for me.

Shotwell, Boojum1 and BigMark like this.
  18. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Same here. No SE for me.

19. BigMark

I thought that perhaps the rigidity of the blades was an issue as well.

20. 178-bplatoon

I have to say "that for me" the worst of the SE's(in terms of discomfort and irritation) I've ever used are the MM type. While I found the G-bar, Pushbutton and Feather weight types comfortable to use, but not close shaving. The 1912, Damaskeen, Gem jr, 1924 and ER Streamline are "for me" all top performers, giving me close and irritation free shaves, with the 1924"shovelhead" and ER Streamline leading the pack..:)