Kai vs. Feather

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Allen_B, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

Have noted a personal preference for Feather blades especially in my Merkur Futur razor.

Curious about the Kai blades based on a number of posts as describing them as comparable to Feather but a bit smoother and longer lasting. Only downside I've seen to the Kai blades is they seem to be pricy by comparison...

Anyone able to compare the two or substantiate the impressions above??

Much appreciated,

Allen

2. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

Have found Kai blades, to be a fraction sharper and definitely more expensive than Feathers. Use what works.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Kai is a tad smoother, at least on the first couple of shaves, but I'll stick with Feather or Astra, with Astra being the best blade for the money, they last a long time and they're cheap to begin with.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

In my shaving experience and in my yarn cutting blade tests, KAI is quite far from the sharpness of Feather. I would place them in the middle range of sharpness. I suspect this is the main reason they are smoother than Feather.

They are also wider (not thicker) than Feather and most other brands, giving more blade exposure in any razor. Because of the extra blade exposure, they feel a bit more aggressive than other blades in the same sharpness class. So, if a razor feels just a tad too mild, load it with KAI and the extra exposure might be just what you want.

I am able to get more shaves out of KAI than out of other blades in the same sharpness class, so I suspect they are better hardened.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I much prefer the Feather DE blade.

I have used a bunch of both and can get a good shave from either blade. I just prefer the face feel of the feather as compared to the KAI.

6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Kais arent quite as sharp but last a bit longer. Cost is pretty much the same between the two of them, Feathers are about $1 cheaper per 100 pack on Amazon.

7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've tried both, and find both to be harsh. I'll stick with Voskhod.

8. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've been shaving with Kai blades since the start of this year. I've also used a few Feathers. They are both the sharpest blades that I've used. I find Kai blades to be the longest lasting blades for me. I'll also agree that Kai blades are smoother. At 30 cents per blade, they are a bit more expensive than Feathers but they are worth every penny.

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have tried both and the Feathers defiantly fe;lt sharper to me. No comment on longevity, I am a 4 pass shaver and toss all blades after 2 shaves.

10. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

You mention the width of the KAI blade, I often thought that might change the feel of some blades over others. How much difference in width?

11. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I recently used both for the first time. I used the same razor, brush and soap for both blades. Merkure 33c, Omega S-Brush and VDH Luxury. The feather blade annihilated the Kai in every category. The Feather felt sharp, smooth and it was a pleasure to shave with it. The Kai did a solid job but nothing about it stood out to me.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Allen_B likes this.