Kokak's Safety Razor journey...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kokak, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Tabac is awesome stuff. The lather is just superb. Not everyone gets along with the scent; for some it is a bit powdery. Reminds me a little bit of Grandma's perfume. :)

Tdmsu and Kokak like this.
  2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I think you can't go wrong with either, but I like the TOBS scents just a little better. But, soap scent only matters to me while I'm shaving. Any aftershave that I put on masks the scent for the most part. TOBS is a cream, so, it doesn't last quite as long as Tabac pucks or sticks.

Tdmsu and Kokak like this.
  3. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Not sure about the grandma's perfume scent. Gonna have to think about that, lol. I'm more of a citrusy, woodsy, men's cologne scents kinda guy. Don't care much for sweet either. I've got a sample puck of Iced Pineapple I just can't seem to wanna try yet. May have to PIF that little dude one day.

Kokak and Tdmsu like this.
  4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Tabac is a mens product. I'd have a talk with grandma if she used Tabac :D

I have seen the reference often though. I'm beginning to believe it's a US thing, perhaps a popular ladies scent is close to Tabac over there?

Kokak and Tdmsu like this.
  5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where the Grandma idea comes from. Perhaps the powdery note?

I find Tabac very masculine and classy. My Dad used it for as long as I can remember.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Kokak likes this.
  6. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I definitely would not call Tabac a "Grandma" scent. My wife said it smells like "Soap" and yah it does, because it is soap... lol.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Tdmsu likes this.
  7. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 14: Thu @1045PM
    Evening shave...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender Bath Soap
    Shaving Soap: Catie's Bubbles Tonsorial Parlour
    Shaving Bowl: Fine Lather Bowl
    Brush: RazorRock Chubby #506 Handle Extra Silvertip Badger (27.5 mm x 51 mm)
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#3)
    Blade: Gillette SB (2)
    Direction: WTG - XTG - WTG
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender (+Menthol)

Another great shave. The Rockwell is really a great razor. I am having irritation free shaves consistently without any effort. As you can see I did try another new soap, Catie's Bubbles in the Tonsorial Parlour scent.
    I am thinking I may have gotten an old tub that had been sitting in some warehouse somewhere. Here is why... When I opened the tub, their was a distinct "plastic" smell. Sort of like what you would expect from an empty tub that had been sitting in the sun for a time. The soap inside the container would slide around and "rattle" when I shook the tub. Sort of like it had dried out a bit and pulled away from the walls and bottom of the tub. This was purchased from a vendor on Amazon and not from Catie's site. After I let the tub air out a bit, the "plastic" smell dissipated and I could smell the soap. Very lite smell, with a hint of menthol, I think. The scent didn't wow me, but personal scents are just that, personal and what I may find as WOW someone else may just find as ehh.
    So... performance of Catie's Bubbles. Here comes the WOW! I produced a really dense and velvety lather in my lather bowl and when I applied the lather to my face... WOW. This soap performs like a champ. Thick and very slick lather. The after shave feel was very nice as well. Because the after shave feel was so good, I did not apply my usual evening balm, there was no need. When I did apply my Aftershave Splash; I had no burn and could only really feel the affects of the menthol.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 15: Fri @700am
    Morning cleanup...

Prep: Warm Water Rinse
    Shaving Soap: RazoRock Double XX
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#3)
    Blade: Gillette SB (3)
    Direction: WTG - XTG
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender

Just wanted to have a quick cleanup before going to the office. Nice, easy and clean. Not trying to be too efficient.

Tdmsu likes this.
  9. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 15: Fri @830PM
    Evening shave...

Shaving Soap: Stirling Piacenza
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#4)
    Blade: Gillette SB (4)
    Splash: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Noticed; that while it was a good shave with Plate #3, no nicks, cuts or weepers. It was not a very efficient shave. So I decided to go up one plate #. I swapped out the #3 plate for the #4 and proceeded to shave slowly and deliberately. The shave went without incident and was very smooth and practically perfect. My lather was a little thin (used too much water), but otherwise was a great evening shave.
    While at Target this evening, I walked through the shave section and saw a couple of boxes of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm and picked up 1 for testing. It's pretty thin and runny, compared to something like Stirling's Balms, but felt good and was not greasy.
    All in all a nice relaxing Friday night shave.

Tdmsu and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  10. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 16: Sat 845AM
    Note*

It's now been 15 days and I have a couple of observations:

1. I really enjoy shaving now! Before wet shaving I would use an Electric Razor and would only shave about once to twice a week, max. It was just to uncomfortable and would only provide mediocre results. I enjoy the entire process now. I enjoy applying the lather, the shave, the aftershaves and all the scents involved. Where once shaving was sort of stressful, now I find it soothing, relaxing.
    2. Not every shave needs to be a BBS or DFS. I have found that since I am not focusing on getting the closest shave possible, with out filleting my face, I am having more comfortable and better quality shaves. If I am going to have a morning shave and I am being a little more rushed in my routine, then the #3 plate is perfect for me. It provides a great shave that I can almost mindlessly execute. If I am going out with my wife and I want the smoothest face possible (for me) then the #4 plate with care provides me with an amazing result.
    3. I find myself planning my shaves now. I will pick out a scent for the next shave along with which aftershave I will use (I only have 4 aftershaves for now). I will also decide if I plan to shave once or twice in a day. If I decide it will be a twice a day shave, I will use the less efficient #3 plate, in the morning, so I will have some growth by my evening shower.
    4. ATG is not for everyone, at least not for me (right now). While the results of a 3 pass WTG - XTG - ATG shave will give me a very close 3 pass shave, my face will be irritated. If I just change the last pass to another WTG, I have good results and my face has no irritation. I will happily sacrifice efficiency for comfort.

In backpacking I have heard a saying; Hike your own hike. This saying applies in just about every undertaking in life. Shave your own shave. Thanks for listening to the ramblings of an old man...

Tdmsu and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  11. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 16: Sat @1030PM
    Evening shave...

Shaving Soap: Cella
    Blade: Gillette SB (5)

The #4 plate is working well for me. I think this will definitely be the plate I use for the majority of my shaves. Very efficient and my technique must be getting better as this has become a completely irritation free shave for me now.
    While I am not in love with Cella's scent, there is no denying how great a lather and post shave feel this soap has.

Tiredricefarmer and Tdmsu like this.
  12. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 17: Sun @930AM
    Morning cleanup...

Prep: Cool Water Rinse
    Shaving Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Blade: Gillette SB (6)
    Direction: WTG

A quick single pass cleanup shave, before heading off to church. Man does the Glacial Lemon Chill duo really wake you up!

Rhody, Tiredricefarmer and Tdmsu like this.
  13. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping the journal going. Lemon chill is a wake up.
    Very pleasantly surprised that the 6s ss is not susceptible to tea stains or rust like I found inside my ATT.
    I skipped a day shaving. First time in about 3 months and went from 1 to 3. Enjoyed it. Will give it a go today.
    Cheers.

Tiredricefarmer and Kokak like this.
  14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 18: Mon @645AM
    Morning cleanup...

Shaving Soap: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender
    Blade: Gillette SB (7)
    Splash: Stirling Piacenza (+Menthol)

The #4 plate is great in a 3 pass shave and even the single pass yesterday morning was great. The Gillette SB blade is no where near ready to be tossed. Just another clean, smooth, irritation free shave.

Rhody, Tdmsu and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  15. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

How do you like the Piacenza aftershave? Thinking bout getting some.

Kokak likes this.
  16. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I like it a lot. I did have Stirling add Menthol to it. Very subtle and performs great.

17. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 18: Mon @830PM
    Evening shave...

Shaving Soap: Catie's Bubbles Sunset
    Blade: Gillette SB (8)

Since I knew I was not going to have the time I needed for a relaxing shave in the morning, I decided to have one tonight. Not to mention, I really wanted to give Catie's Bubbles a try (received 2 tubs today).
    The Shave Soap was awesome. I enjoyed the slickness and fragrance of the lather. The after shave feel is very, very nice.
    My face was a little irritated after the shave this evening. I think it was because I used the #4 for a 3 pass shave this morning and then again for a 3 pass shave tonight. Going forward; if I plan on shaving twice in 1 day. One shave will be a 3 pass with an aggressive plate (#4 for me) and then the "cleanup" shave will be a 2 pass, with a less aggressive plate (#3 or #2).
    Even though the Gillette SB blade seems to be doing well, I will retire it tonight and use a fresh blade tomorrow.

Tdmsu likes this.
  18. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 19: Tue @830PM
    Evening shave...

Shaving Soap: Catie's Bubbles Tonsorial Parlour
    Blade: Astra SP (1)
    Splash: Stirling Piacenza (+Menthol)

Nice, Calm and Relaxing. Just the way it is meant to be. The new Tub of Catie's Bubbles Tonsorial Parlour arrived and was much better than what I returned to Amazon. The scent is mild but very pleasant. The Menthol only really becomes noticeable on the second pass. Really enjoyed this evenings shave.
    My RazoRock Silvertip Badger Brush is breaking in very well. The density is very nice and provides an incredible firm, yet gentle lather application. While I have seen debates as to what some people think RazoRock means by calling the brush "Extra Silvertip". I believe the word "Extra" is referring to the amount of Silvertip bristles (density of the brush) not the bristle rating.

Tiredricefarmer and Tdmsu like this.
  19. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 20: Wed @700AM
    Morning wake up...

Shaving Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#2)
    Blade: Astra SP (2)
    Direction: WTG - ATG - WTG

Now I'm awake! There was just a tiny bit of stubble and I have a client meeting this morning, so it was a great excuse for a "clean up" shave. Because I shaved with the #4 last night (less than 12 hours ago) I used the #2 plate. This plate was so mild, but provided some really nice audio feedback that I attempted an ATG pass (which I have given up on). The #2 plate was perfect for me for an ATG pass. No irritation, cuts, weepers and my face feels incredible.
    While the Glacial Lemon Chill provided an incredible Menthol blast, there was no stinging. Perfect start to a good day.

Rhody and Tdmsu like this.
  20. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 20: Wed @1000PM
    Evening soap test...

Shaving Soap: Sapone Di Paolo Albera (Blue Spruce)
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#2)
    Blade: Astra SP (3)
    Direction: WTG - ATG - WTG
    Splash: none

New soap test from the new shop I found near work. The soap had a very woodsy scent. Not Evergreen and not Juniper, but definitely woodsy. The lather and slickness were outstanding. Post shave slickness was very nice. About 30 minutes after the shave, my face felt irritated. Not from the shave (I think) but maybe the soap. Not sure. I will try it again this weekend and see.
    I used the #2 this evening just because I had such a good shave last night, not to mention the lite cleanup this morning, that there wasn't a lot to shave. But I really wanted to try this new soap, so short of just doing a test lather (which maybe I should have done), I used a very mild plate this evening.

Rhody likes this.