Kokak's Straight Razor journey...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Kokak, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

No stitches... nothing a compression dressing couldn't handle.

Karl G likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Pics???? :D
    Oh, how's the razor??

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Karl G and Kokak like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Now that is how you know your razor is sharp and shave ready. I'm glad your finger is still attached and congrats on your honing skills.

Karl G and Kokak like this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Nope no pics... But the razor needs to go back to the hones in order to fix a dinged up toe.

Thanks.

Karl G, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  5. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171013 Fri@0615

Prep: Stirling Bergamot Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Black Sails"
    Shaving Bowl: Captain's Choice Lather Bowl
    Brush: Omega 81052 Boar Brush (23 mm x 54 mm)
    Straight Razor: Wilbert Cutlery Co. "High Art" 5/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (40x Linen and 60x Leather)
    Splash: Humphreys Witch Hazel
    Splash: none
    Balm: none

Since my mishap Tuesday evening, I have used my neglected DE razors these past couple of days. This morning I was up at 4am with nowhere to be so... I decided to hone one of the razors I acquired last week. The razor was a Wilbert Cutlery Co. "High Art" 5/8" square point. After trying to set the bevel twice (with tape), bit not having any great success. I performed a tap test and determined that the geometry was a little off. So I taped the edge and used my "coarse" DMT and worked on the spine till things straightened out. I know this is very contravention with a lot of people but for a few of the eBay rescues I have gotten, this was a needed evil (for me at least). After the DMT I went through my "normal" progression, some stropping and then had a shave with my results.
    The blade was very comfortable and the shave was great. These lower end eBay "rescues" are a great value, with a little work.

[​IMG]

6. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171014 Sat@0815

Prep: Stirling Barbershop Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Outlaw"
    Brush: RazoRock Chubby Extra Silvertip Badger Brush (27.5 mm x 51 mm)
    Straight Razor: J.A. Henckel "1070" 5/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (40x Linen and 60x Leather)
    Splash: Citrus & Sandalwood "Blend"

A great Saturday morning shave with a great soap and a fantastic razor. The Henckel was very easy to hone and took an awesome edge. It delivered BBS results after 3 passes. The "Outlaw" scent from WWSC is great. The scent of leather is not overwhelming and the added smokey note of burnt honey adds a great secondary scent. Post shave feel is the best.
    I have a couple of other Henckel razors that I need to hone so I can compare them to the "1070".

[​IMG]

Drygulch and Keithmax like this.
  7. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171015 Sun@0845

Prep: Stirling Lime Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Bonnie & Clyde"
    Brush: Omega 81052 Badger Brush (23 mm x 54 mm)
    Straight Razor: Dubl Duck "Special No 1" 5/8" (2) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 30x Leather)

I took the Duck out for a walk this morning. It was a great shave! My shaves are getting better and better. I think my techniques, both shaving and honing, are getting better and better. This all came together for an incredible shave.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Drygulch and Keithmax like this.
  8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171016 Mon@0630

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Lewis & Clark"
    Brush: Omega 81052 Badger Brush (23 mm x 54 mm)
    Straight Razor: George Wostenholm I-XL 5/8" (3) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (20x Linen and 40x Leather)

This was the 3rd shave with this razor. I honed it back on the 1st of October; which makes this one of the 1st blades honed to "shave ready". The toe end (1/3rd towards the tip) of the razor was a bit tuggy when I was shaving under my nose. After looking at the edge under the my loupe, I can see that the area of the blade near the toe, is not very good. I will work on its edge this weekend. Otherwise the shave was awesome. It was an okay shave, but not one of my better ones. Being it was one of my 1st razors I honed and I know my honing technique has improved, I can make this edge much better now.

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171017 Tue@2115

Prep: Stirling Bergamot Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Sundance Kid"
    Brush: Semogue 1305 Badger Brush (22 mm x 55 mm)
    Straight Razor: J.A. Henckels "1070" 5/8" (2) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (20x Linen and 40x Leather)

So this blade was part of the 6th batch of razors I honed (my latest efforts) and I can feel the difference in the edge. Nice, smooth and very comfortable. My edges are definitely improving every time. It's funny how on the 1st pass, the hollow grind razor will give lots of audible feedback. But by the 3rd pass, it is almost completely silent. I have noticed that I am no longer trying to clear all my growth on the 1st pass, rather, reducing my stubble with each subsequent pass. This is especially important when working around the lower lip and chin. I have also begun going slightly diagonal on my neck during my second pass. Not truly XTG, but at a slight angle and this is improving the reduction on my neck.
    I am really enjoying all the scents and performance of the soaps from Wild West Shaving Co. I was a little concerned that the "Sundance Kid" would be too much like the "Teddy" scent, since both have a lime and coconut scent profile. But the peppermint in the "Sundance Kid" scent really changes the entire scent profile. It was AWESOME!

Keithmax likes this.
  10. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171020 Fri@1130

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Billy the Kid"
    Straight Razor: ZY 430 "Black" 6/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)

So I picked up a couple really cheap ZY razors from the "Bay". I spent less than $20 for both and they actually are quite nice razors. The scales, acrylic black and white, are average (decent). I went through a modest progression: 1k bezel set, 4k/8k Norton, 20k and Arkansas Black finisher. It took a really nice edge. I will be keeping track of the number of shaves I get with only stropping as a touch up between shaves.
    After 3 passes I had DFS results. For anyone looking to get into straight razor shaving/honing, these make a great inexpensive way to get into this hobby. Not to mention these will make a great travel razor.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Keithmax, M14Shooter and DaltonGang like this.
  11. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171021 Sat@0730

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Anne Oakley"
    Straight Razor: ZY 430 "White" 6/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)

Another ZY off the hones, last night. Both the ZY and Gold Dollar razors have "Round Points" with points (LOL) and the heels also have a bit of a point on them. So... armed with my trusty Dremel, I set out to fix these and round out the razors a bit more. 3 out of the 4 razors came out really nice. 1 was not so fortunate. I slipped and so, ended up taking a bit more metal off the toe than I was planning. This razor will become a project razor. I plan on changing the blade shape on this one; grinding out the area where the mistake is. We will see.
    As for my shave with the now modified ZY; it was excellent. The point that was on toe has gone and it was as if it was never there. The shave was a comfortable 3 pass shave. It has been a while now since I have cut myself. My technique is sound, but there is still room for improvement.
    Have a great weekend everyone!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    DaltonGang likes this.
  12. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171022 Sun@0830

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Remnants"
    Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar Brush (22 mm x 55 mm)
    Straight Razor: Dovo "Bismark 2" 6/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Stropping: none
    Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Yesterday was my wife and I 24 year anniversary (it also happens to be my B-Day as well). So while walking around Old Town Pasadena, we managed to walk into "The Old Town Shaving Company". It was her 1st time there and she actually liked it. As we were looking around I saw a Dovo "Bismark 2" in a case. I have been thinking about getting something a little flashy and new for myself for a while now and a B-Day is a good enough excuse. I like the weight and how the blade feels in my hand. When I asked the price... lets just say; it was less than anything I have been able to find on the net, new. My wife came over to see what I was looking at and she fell in love with the gold on the blade (she likes shiny things). Needless to say, it came home with us. BTW... a big thanks for The Old Town Shaving Company, you made my wife feel very welcomed.
    The shave this morning was nice. I was told the blade was "shave ready" and it was. No stropping needed. The width of the blade is nice and the weight is also very nice. I am finding; I like wider, heavier blades now. I can also feel the difference between my edge and that of another honer. I do like how may edges feel coming off the Arkansas "Black" natural. I do not plan on doing anything to this edge (honing) until it is needed.
    Have a Blessed Sunday everyone.

[​IMG]

Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

You made a fine choice for your first new blade. The Bismarck #2 is one of my personal favorites. Not only are they good looking, but they hold a wonderful edge. Happy anniversary!

Kokak likes this.
  14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Thanks

mrchick likes this.
  15. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171023 Mon@0745

Shaving Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Straight Razor: Gold Dollar "Ebony" 6/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Splash: Long Rifle "Bay Rhum"

Decided to give WWSC a day off and use one of my "other" favorites... MWF. The lather is much denser for MWF and the cushion is superb. Post shave feel is a tie between the 2. No need for a moisturizer today. BTW, MWF pairs AWESOME with Long Rifle "Bay Rhum". The GD "Ebony" razor took a very, very nice edge and left me BBS at 2 passes, I had a 3rd just because of all the lather I still had left over.
    This GD was 1 of the 4 razors I work on Friday, modified the heel and toe and then re-honed. It is not one of the cheaper GD I have seen ($19.99 on Amazon). But it does have the nicer (though a little bulky) wood scales. All in all, I am very impressed.
    Have a great day!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Keithmax likes this.
  16. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171024 Tue@0745

Brush: Stirling Boar Brush (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Straight Razor: ZY 430 "Black" 6/8" (1) WTG - XTG - WTG (face) WTG - WTG -WTG (neck)
    Splash: PAA "Good Vibrations"

This is the razor where I took too much off of the toe. The bevel stops about 1/4" from the toe. But the edge that is on it, is very good. I shaved with it this morning and had a great 3 pass, comfortable shave.
    I will eventually modify the blade shape, but have a lot of easier project razors to work on right now.

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  17. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171025 Wed@0730

Straight Razor: Gold Dollar "RED" 6/8" (1) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - XTG (neck)
    Splash: Stirling "Piacenza" (Menthol added)

Another of the Gold Dollar razors I modified last Friday. The edge was very good. I am thinking the Gold Dollar razors seem to take a better edge than the ZY razors do. I can see myself making a "Seven Day Gold Dollar Set" from these razors. At $16 each, with a nice acrylic scale, they are a GREAT shaver (with a little work) and a great value. I am honestly considering getting rid of all my "project razors" and just picking up a few more of these; for my regular rotation.
    I have also incorporated a Cross the Grain/Diagonal to the Grain direction as my second pass on my neck. This has left me with a much better shave on my neck without a drop of blood.
    Stay tuned... I may have about 30+ razors up for sale.

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  18. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171026 Thu@0700

Straight Razor: Gold Dollar "W59" 6/8" (5) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - XTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 25x Leather)
    Splash: none

Another Gold Dollar day. Comfortable and smooth 2 pass shave with DFS+ results. This has been the 5th shave with this blade, since I last honed it and it is still going strong. Maybe even a bit better than when I 1st shaved with it, fresh off the hone. I have only been stropping it before each shave to maintain the edge.

[​IMG]

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  19. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20171027 Fri@2045

Shaving Soap: Wild West Shaving Co "Peace Pipe"
    Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar Brush (22 mm x 55 mm)
    Straight Razor: Dovo "Bismark 2" 6/8" (2) WTG - XTG (face) WTG - XTG (neck)
    Stropping: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 25x Leather)

This was my second time with the Dovo Bismark 2. It was a great shave. MUCH better than the 1st one. Very, very smooth. BBS results after 2 passes and no sting from the Aftershave. For anyone who enjoys a Tobacco scented shave soap; Peace Pipe is awesome and combined with the performance of WWSC, it is the a great way to relax after a hectic day.
    Have a great weekend everyone!

[​IMG]

DaltonGang and Keithmax like this.
  20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

A belated Happy Anniversary.

I think you will enjoy this razor. I have one and it is a joy to hone and maintain. Plus it shaves and looks great.

Kokak likes this.