Lather dries out a bit too fast

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Omelmad, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Looking forward to trying this way to lather my soap and training on my shavette shave.

Doing it tomorrow, thanks for the advise everyone, I'm gonna add more water =)

2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

You just answered one of my problems. Oh the learning. :cool:

macaronus and Cool Breeze like this.
  3. Omelmad

Hey

Im wondering what the ideal size/diameter for a shaving bowl/lathering bowl? I tried to find a cheaper solution (than a real shaving bowl) at the grocery store, found various of sizes that could work. But I got a bit insecure so I didn't buy one. To bad I couldn't compare against my brushes =P

4. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Wide, fat, short cappacino mug at wal mart or dollar tree PERFECT AND CHEAP black,white,green,red or blue, pick cour color. Wide enough to get a fine swirl open, short and fat enough that you dont mash your knuckles. Dollar tree has them ror $1.00 , wally world $3.00 . walmart has better choice of colors and the white cereal bowl fits inside, PERFECT if you want a scuttle. Check out the thrad "pairings" lots of pics of the $5.00 scuttle

less than $5.00 at Wal Mart.
    Cappacino for mug OR scuttle base, white bowl for lathering, black soap dish.
    Stacked together when not in use. CAM00215.jpg CAM00216.jpg CAM00217.jpg

The mug by itself makes an awesome mug for a puck, not huge but big enough to make building lather fast and easy.

5. Omelmad

Thank you for the specific answer, it was great advise! But we don't have those stores in Sweden. I should have mentioned that in the post =P sorry.

This is a great solution! It sucks that I can't get a kit that is stackable like that =P I'm gonna find a way to do that!

Those where the best optiones

Attached Files:

Cool Breeze likes this.
  6. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

If you look where ever your wife buys her dishes, they should have coffee and cappacino mugs there. Just make sure it isnt "funnel" shaped, you wanna make sure your puck lays flat in the bottom. Too small wont work but it really cant be too big.

Most generic cedeal bowls will fit inside a cappacino mug very well, just trial fit them in the store. Also any small dish (soap dish) will fit inside that. The cereal bowls dont touch the sides f the mug, only the lip catches making a nice tight fit. The hot water is wble to circulate around the bowl as well, making it very efficient.
    But yea, any cappacino mug will work.

Sorry for my typing, I have bananna hands

7. Dapper-in-a-can-man

What happened to your hands with thumbs?! :(

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Don't over think it. Find a bowl that fits into the palm of your hand and try it. If you think it is too small, get a larger bowl; if you think it is too big, get a smaller bowl. You have to find what works for you.

Cool Breeze likes this.
  9. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Man, my hands look like baseball gloves, I can mash 4 keys at once if Im not careful.
    Years of weather, saltwater,welding, shipyard work. My skin is basically ruined. All the years of cuts and burns. Im just glad I got my wife before I looked like this!
    :)

10. Omelmad

Yeah I know I overthink stuff =P must stop that

Hehe dont worry about it =) I undrstood everything. Thanks for all the help

Cool Breeze likes this.
  11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

These 2 soaps are great soaps. I use them both. A tip. Don't worry about whipping up the perfect lather. Just try to get it creamy so it forms waves with peaks, and apply to the wet face. If it seems to get dry on the face, dip the tip of the brush in some warm water, and swirl it into the face lather until it is thick and moist. Repeat as needed. Even a dry lather can be rescued at any time.

Omelmad, dscaver and CyanideMetal like this.
  12. Omelmad

Thanks for the advise. I actually do that. But I have seen in videos that their lather does not dry out fast, I wanted some pointers on how to get a better lather =)

Hey guys, I added more water.... I think I over did it hahaha cant even call the result lather =P

13. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Just add finger droplet amounts at a time. Always start small and drip your way up.

DLreno, Omelmad and CyanideMetal like this.
  14. Omelmad

Thanks =)

I'm learning, and I'm down for trying different approaches. I might have missunderstood what a yo yo shake is =P @swarden43

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The "YO -YO" shake was from Cool Breeze:

16. Omelmad

Ohh, sorry. I mixed up the answers

@Cool Breeze

17. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

When your brush is good and wet, swirl until all the water is soaked up and yorur brush makes a smacking or sucking sound on the puck, you'll have a thick paste.
    If you have plenty of water (like you should) and dont swirl enough, you'll get a thin watery mess.
    Remember, you are trying to turn a solid puck of soap into wet lather, you need plenty of water.

A yo yo shake is where you shake your brush like youre trying to work a yoyo. Dont shake hard but gentle.
    Im going to make a video today, maybe that will help, maybe not .

macaronus and Omelmad like this.
  18. Omelmad

Please notify me when you upload the video =)

I will try it today, I think the bowl I have grated my shave stick into is a bit small. It's hard to get the soap onto the brush =p but not impossible heheh

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  19. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Sure thing, I need a camera woman and the wife will be home in an hour or so.

20. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Sorry guys, the wife got home and we HAD to go to the store. That turned into the store then dinner then a trip to the Ford lot.
    I'll get on the video tom. morning.

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.