Lather problems

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Alex7, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Hello. I can't create any decent lather. I have a whipped dog badger silvertip 22 mm knot. I tried soaking the brush for 5 minutes before shaving. I also tried to wet it really well. I have acceptable amount of lather for the first pass but not for my second. I used Proraso green soap but I found it difficult to create lather. Now I use Palmolice cream. It's a little better but nowhere near as it should be.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Can you write what your process is? We will be able to seem the problem better.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I see you've been a member quite a while. What were you using or doing before this?

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

How long are you loading the brush? I used Proraso Green this morning and had lather for probably 4 or 5 passes. I load for a good long time. You have to experiment with water amounts. I also used to practice lathering on my hand as a simulated face lather.

I would encourage you to watch some lathering videos online and see their processes. I learned a lot from videos when I was starting out.

5. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

I wet the brush well and then squeeze until it's not dripping. Then I apply cream on the face. I then proveed yo face lather.

6. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

F
    I've started wet shaving 2 years ago. For a while I stopped though. Got discouraged because I didn't get decent results.

7. swarden43

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Badger brushes don't need the soaking that a boar requires. It's hair versus bristles. My suggestion would be to wet your brush, but shake out the water. Choke up on the brush by getting a finger and thumb around the bristles. This will stiffen those soft badger hairs enough to load more soap. Then go to your bowl or face to make lather. You can add more water if it seems too dry. Don't be concerned to waste a bit of soap. Worse that will happen is you get better lather that goes down the drain. And you get to try more soaps sooner.

9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Shake the brush out, don't squeeze. Put about a almond size of cream on the brush don't put it on your face. The start face lathering. See if that works better

barbersurgeon likes this.
  10. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Not enough water!
    Dip or dunk your brush in a glass of water. Lift it out till it stops dripping. Add an almond size dollop of proraso to the bristles and scrub your face for 60 seconds adding water if needed at the 30 second mark. Just make a hollow place in the bristles and trickle more water into the knot. Watch the later explode!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. swarden43

12. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Here's how I do all my soaps...

Soak brush for at least a few minutes. Give it about three good shakes to get some water out. But not all. Take brush straight to soap and load it for at least 15 seconds. Depends on the soap. If using a cream, put an almond size dollop in a lather bowl. With soap I face lather. Take the brush to the face and start vigourously whipping the brush on the face. Add a few drops of water at a time to the bristles of brush and continue. Repeat until you have thick lather with peaks like meringue pie. If bowl lathering, start swirling brush in bowl. Add a couple drops of water at a time until the lather becomes thicker and yogurty. No large bubbles should be seen anymore. The longer you whip it up the smaller the bubbles will become. Do not mash brush.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bussemand likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't soak my brushes. I just wet them and squeeze gently. If it is a hard soap, I load for about 20 seconds or so and then go to the face. If it is a cream, I do about three swirls and go to the face. If it is a stick, I rub it all over my wet face and then lather. But, I don't soak any of my brushes.

I do two passes usually, but I end up sending some decent lather down the drain.

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

If your having issues face lathering a cream, use a bowl. Start with little water (as you have) dip the tips, swirl some more, still no joy. Dip the tips again, swirl dome more.

15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Both cream and soap are cheap. Start with a dry brush, and make some practice lathers. Keep working on it until you can consistently get a good lather.

Bama Samurai likes this.