lathering help

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Hersh, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Hersh

Hersh Well-Known Member

When lathering on your face or in a bowl are circular motions bad for your brush? Ive read tutorials that all say swirl your brush but also a few posts that indicate circular motions can twist and break hairs in the middle of your brush. Any help to clarify this would be great thanks

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I swirl and twist. Haven't had a single issue.
    I look at the brush as a tool and use it in a manner that will produce a lather I'm happy with.
    That said, I don't abuse it, either.
    If it happens to eventually wear out, as many tools do, I'll simply buy another.

lobomalo72 and BigT like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I believe if you soak your brush before starting to lather it makes the bristles more pliable. I, too, have had no problem swirling. I will swirl both directions, and I will pump the brush occasionally. It is a tool. Cheap tools tend to break and do a poor job, but quality tools generally perform well when used as intended. The same works for brushes.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Use it. Don't abuse it.

5. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

+1

6. Hersh

Hersh Well-Known Member

Well that is generally what I do but I came across a thread that said that only paintbrush type was recomended just wanted some more professional opinions thanks guys

7. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

I think you'd struggle to find someone that doesn't use circular motions lathering. Just don't mash your brush and you'll be fine.

8. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

The instructions/warranty included with my Simpson 56 actually specify that you shouldn't use a circular motion. Apparently TSD has a whole bunch of iconoclasts.

9. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I mash, twist, circle and thrash the brush into that soap and the lather explodes. I never have issues with a Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  10. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I mostly face-lather and find I get a much richer lather if I get the brush to splay a little and use circular motions so that's what I do. I haven't noticed a problem with hairs breaking off. I do let the brush soak for a few minutes first though. I'm willing to believe my brushes will wear out a little faster using them that way but I just can't seem to get the same quality of lather without doing it so I'll live with the consequences.

12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I bowl lather and I swirl, flip, flop, you name it. Brushes are tools, use them as needed. If I bought a super expensive brush and it said "Don't swirl" I probably wouldn't. But I prefer boar over badger so I'll use and abuse my brushes as needed.

13. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I do very quick flip flops around my chin or neck or any face ridge to produce a lather but I have to swirl in the bowl to get lather