Lathering technique

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by PatrickA51, Jul 1, 2014.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Good Morning, I found this on another forum. Thought it might be of some use to folks so I posted it.
    PatrickA51

My lathering technique with Italian soft soaps

Lately I’ve seen that some B&B members are having issues regarding “how to create a good lather” with Italian soft soaps. And I have personally received several PM’s regarding this subject, with many asking me what kind of lathering technique I actually use. Here is a simple tutorial for new wet shavers or for those who just are unable to get satisfying results with soft soaps.

1. Italian soft soaps like brushes with soft tips and great backbone. You can use a quality boar or badger brush of your choice with the above specs. I prefer boars, as in the old Italian barbershop tradition.

2. Run your brush under hot water (or simply soak it) for at least 30 seconds.

3. Turn your brush upside-down WITHOUT shaking it. Allow only the gravity water to fall down and move your brush carefully, since it has to be kept full of water.

4. Start making swirls on the surface of the soap. You have to proceed slowly, without pressure on the brush. Remember that it’s very wet.

5. Heavily load your brush for about 45/60 seconds making around 100/120 swirls. Please keep in mind that the loading time and number of swirls also depend on how big your brush is and how much water it can retain.

6. Move the brush onto your face and face lather. Again, be careful, you’ll have a LOT of lather to handle.

7. While face lathering add, slowly and progressively, a few drops of water per time to your brush. Or, alternatively, lightly wet the tips of the brush. I personally prefer to add drops of water to the brush because I have a better control of the soap/water ratio.

8. You bring the lather to the right consistency.

*** The main concept to always keep in mind is simple: a lot of water + a lot of swirls + a lot of soap = a lot of great, thick, slick and effective lather. ***

I learned this technique from an old Italian Master Barber with over 40 years of experience and I’ve been using it with great results for almost 16 years.

P.S. This lathering technique works very well even with hard, triple milled soaps. Exactly as described above, with the sole exception that I soften the surface of hard soaps with a dozen drops of water before starting to make swirls.

Bristle Me, ObiDon, Slow Joe and 5 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Good advice! Thanks for posting Patrick! :)

3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

This is the method I use for soft soaps.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I recognize Marcos Method! It was great advice for many people that's for sure, and works VERY well with boar brushes.

5. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

I'll have to give this a whirl soon w/ some of my more stubborn soaps - thanks for the post.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Thanks for posting this Patrick, haven't face lathered for a while, might give this a try :)

lilbones99 likes this.
  7. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I recently started face lathering [always used a bowl in the past] and had to stop due to my face breaking out. Right after I started face lathering my chin area developed a bad rash and cleared right up after I stopped, so unfortunately it doesn't agree with my skin.