Lathering Techniques & Shave Soap Or Cream Alternatives

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jimjo1031, Nov 23, 2016.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Haven't used a shave stick yet, but I will be trying it out in the near future

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Which one?

Carbide Mike, jimjo1031 and Dzia Dzia like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

You can rub any puck on your face, fyi. Works well.

4. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I have one from Joe Louis Arena when the Red Wings played the AVS before they put the nets behind the goal line. You're welcome to try that one. It might leave a scar though it was after Claude Lemieux boarded Chris Draper. :angry019::duel:

Come to think of it I might try that after I use the Goop with pumice.:happy102:

... to be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

5. Bama Samurai

That sequence of events resulted in Darren McCarty becoming a game 7 legend. KOd LeMieux and scored the game winner...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Carbide Mike and Dzia Dzia like this.
  6. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I've seen a lot of hockey games in my day going back to the Wings with Gordy Howe and Ted Lindsay but that was the worst penalty and biggest fight EVER. We're you in Denver at the time?

Don

Carbide Mike and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 15.58.12.png

8. jimjo1031

sure...........

Carbide Mike and Dzia Dzia like this.
  9. jimjo1031

not sure yet. still have some orange menthol soap I made that I could use in a small travel sized deodorant tube. the kind they sell for $1.00

Carbide Mike and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

No. Those Detroit teams of the Yzerman/Federov 90s era were loaded with talent.

Carbide Mike and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. jimjo1031

I gotta be honest, I knew this mechanic that did use a hand cleaner, maybe this kind, when he had to shave at his shop because of a court appearance and couldn't get home in time. Might have been a one time deal cause he usually kept shave soaps at his shop, but he did say the cleaner worked pretty good.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

Ok, another question. Has anyone tried or thought about using any of these products for shaving..........
    Baby Oil
    Body Lotion
    Shampoo
    Coconut Oil
    Shea Butter
    In my older disposable days, I mounted a mirror on my shower wall and did use shampoo at times. It worked out great, especially when using a Bic Hybrid.

PickledNorthern and Carbide Mike like this.
  13. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Yes, while on a long date, I had to shave and tried the baby oil gel. It worked ok , but it was a one time only thing.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

In my shaving days prior to soap and brush, I would run out of my canned whatever, and use anything in the bathroom. I have tried plain water, shampoo, conditioner, hand soap, lotion, baby oil, you name it. I hated shaving, and most of them were performed painfully with a duller than optimal cart, so I didn't much care. If I had to go back I would grow a beard.

Carbide Mike, jimjo1031 and RyX like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've never lathered up to shave with anything but products specifically made for lathering up to shave.
    Tried face lathering - don't care for it.
    Tried sticks - prefer pucks. I grated my sticks and pressed 'em into a bowl.
    Creams are okay - prefer pucks.
    Load the brush, take it to the mug or scuttle to whip up a creamy lather - happy camper.

16. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I use Mystic Water shave-sticks 99% of the time and one of my many brushes. I find this the best way to spend the most time massaging my skin/whiskers in preparation for the shave.
    I add water, little by little, to hydrate the lather.
    Of course, YMMV, as everyone has their own personal preference. :)

17. jimjo1031

Heard of people using baby oil with good results, but not gel. Maybe it was too thick for shaving.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Nah, not too thick, but I was using a Sensor 2. It was a o.k. shave. ( not good , just ok )but it was a one time thing. .

jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Well, this seems to have turned into a debate about alternative creams. :)
    But, to answer the original question of "how do you lather?" I build my lather in a bowl first. Then, swirl it on or scrub it up a bit on my face to build the lather a little more if necessary. I do it that way to try to imitate the old guy on the brick of Cella (which doesn't work every time, but we all have goals). Building the lather in the bowl helps me get it to the consistency that I want first (like yogurt) and helps me figure out some of the details about product, like scent, lubricity, water absorption, etc. I apply it by painting and/or swirling it on and then smoothing it out to create even coating on my face and neck. I've only been doing this for about 10 months, but this is the process that I've made a habit and it seems to work well for me.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I just lather on my face, and I add water as needed.

Matt0210 and jimjo1031 like this.