Let’s Talk Barber Hones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Spyder, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

This is a topic, I don’t see mentioned much at TSD. As a noob in the SR world; learning the skills of honing are on my radar screen but not in the near future. I love all aspects of the straight, and honing is part of this, but shaving is my priority and frankly honing is something that I would prefer to learn later on. I actually did preemptively purchase the Norton 4/8K water stone.

I personally would rather focus my attention on improving the skills of shaving and maintaining the edges of my razors until the time that they actually need to visit the stones. This includes proper stropping and including the regular use of a (barbers) hone in the hopes of postponing a full honing session until the edge no longer performs as it should.

I would like to get your personal experiences and/or practices surrounding the use (or lack thereof) the barber hone:

• Do you think that they are practical and relevant, or just a waste of time?
    • How many of you either regularly or periodically use a barber hone to maintain your razors, and at what intervals?
    • How do you use them, with water, lather dry, etc.?
    • What kind do you have/use?

Any other bits of wisdom, tips or sarcasm is always welcomed:) Oh, and don’t forget pics.

2. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I have one and I occasionally use it. I tend to not hone very often. If regular stropping isn't doing it anymore, I use the balsa strop with paste. When that isn't enough anymore, I pull out the barbers hone. I haven't yet needed to have one of my razors be completely re-honed.

3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Lynn Abrams on Barber Hones..:)

Billy..:chores016:

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have a Frank Swatty that was my Great Great Grandfather's. I keep it in the bathroom, instead of on my work bench. If I am shaving, and an edge is tuggy, my first stop is my Chromium Oxide pasted strop, then linen and leather. If that isn't quite enough, or the edge felt pretty bad, I will use the Barber's hone first. I put a splash of lather on it, and do no more than 7 strokes on each side, with very light pressure while holding the hone. Then pasted strop, linen, and leather. I have so many razors in rotation that I can't tell you how many shaves I get before doing this, but I haven't had to take any razors back to bevel set since I started doing this.

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks Adam, that's kinda what I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone here routinely used them. I have one waiting for me in my mailbox:). Although having your gg grandpa's is really special.

6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Yes

I have a personal Long Swaty I have one razor that has never been on anything else, it with proper stropping keeps that razor giving a CCS and has since 2008

Here is an old vid with some tips and tricks and also just some fun stuff

twhite, Keithmax, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks Glenn!! I purchased a Swaty made it Austria for $18. Other than one tiny chip on the front edge, it looks brand new. It has a paper label on one edge that reads: The Pike zMfg. Co. N. H. Sole Agents for America. Any idea of what I have? Age? It's smooth as glass.
    WP_20170105_001.jpg WP_20170105_002.jpg WP_20170105_003.jpg

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Drygulch like this.
  8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Same one I have, but yours is in better shape. Haven't seen one with a label before.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

There were two pictures, but they were pretty crappy. I took a chance and got lucky. The prices are all over the map on these things. I'm gonna go give it a test drive:)

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Drygulch, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have one i use from time to time. The name on it is not readable.
    A old man that I cut grass for gave it to me. He said it was his father's only one, that it kept his father's razors, indefinitely according to him. This barber's hone, and a strop.
    I've used it pretty often before I began honing, not so much now. If i feel a razor needs work, i just re-hone it.

Drygulch, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have an Electric (in name only :p). Anyone know anything about this brand?
    1 - practical and relevant
    2 - I use mine periodically, when I feel the strop just isn't giving me the edge I want. Never kept track of how many shaves on a blade before going to the hone. I make seven laps. Works for me
    3 - I soak mine in water prior to use
    4 - see pic. An antique store find, 10-15 bucks, I think. Took it to some sandpaper to get it flat, both sides. In great shape, no chops or cracks.
    20170105_175649.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I just lathered mine up an gave my razor 10 passes, then went to the strop. If this keeps it off the hones, that would be fine by me:)

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I dunno about your hone, but I really like your Dovo. I'd like to try that half hollow.

Billyfergie and Robyflexx like this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thanks. A Christmas present from my wife a few years ago. That's my monogram on the front. "Always & Forever" is engraved on the other side of the blade. That's a song by Heatwave we had played at our wedding, 4/7/82, and a phrase I write on every card and letter I give her. "A & F" is engraved inside her wedding ring; "B -n- Me" inside mine. Still lovin' the same great woman!

That razor has always given a great shave.

17. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I have a Swatty that I use after every 12 or so shaves and I've never had to use anything else or send my razor out. I've been using the same razor for just about all of my shaves since 2011. I use a little squirt of Barbasol on it, since I've got to use that can for something right?

18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Billyfergie, Spyder and swarden43 like this.
  19. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have a barbers hone but its chipped so badly that I don't use it. I just hone up from bevel set once then when stropping and pasted strops aren't keeping it sharp enough than I go to my finest stone and give it a few strokes to refresh the edge. I have a pretty course beard so I strop every shave, pasted strop once every 7 shaves and hit a stone every 4th pasted strop use. If I used the same razor every day it would be daily weekly and monthly. I jump around a bit.

My stones are the King 1k/6k and 800/4k a natural softer purple stone and a very hard fine natural green stone. I also have a black Arkansas that needs more work before I use it. the green stone is my finisher with a diminishing slurry of the purple stone.

One day I would like to revamp my barber's hone since it belonged to my Grandfather but I'm afraid of it falling to pieces if I try.

20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Some of you guys know this some don't but I used to sell Barber's Hones, before the prices on them got "Stupid"

They can literally "Fall Apart" I have reconditioned well over 100 of them over the years, some are not even solid material just a thin "Honing" surface over a filler..
    Other have been subjected to soapy water and left in it which breaks down the material .. I have actually had a BH simply break into chunks as I tried to lap out chips

So be careful with them

Swaty is the 30-06 of the BH world it is the standard to which all others are judged against...

Just about every BH I have found (There is a difference between a BH and a honing stone of the same size) will produce a Comfortable shaving edge if the surface is in good shape..

Keithmax, Misphit, mrchick and 3 others like this.