Let’s Talk Barber Hones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Spyder, Jan 4, 2017.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

That is why it's still chipped and rough. I'm afraid of losing it more than I am afraid I'll never get to use it. I think we talked about it once and I decided I'd rather have a keepsake than a tool.

Billyfergie, gssixgun and Spyder like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. The Swaty that I obtained is super smooth and flat and (IMO) doesn't require any lapping. I'm gonna leave it alone and use it.

Billyfergie and gssixgun like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Smart way to go,, BH's were actually finished aka Lapped and Polished at the factory, then only reason to mess that up and Re-finish is if they are unusable they way they sit

mrchick and Billyfergie like this.
  4. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I have a lot of barbers hones. They vary quite a bit as far as shaving edge goes. As it is I fell down the barbers hone rabbit hole and before I really got a great grasp on everything I have, I fell down the rabbit hole of rockhounding. I did for a while use a barbers hone as my finish hone. I have a few that do a very nice job. Frictionite 00, Zenith, Panama,are few of the names that I really liked the shave off of. They did a stellar job, and I was happy with the shave, but not all rabbit holes are in pursuit of a better edge, many of them are about checking stuff out and having fun.

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

After reading this thread I pulled out my Vintage Norton BH this morning. I touched up this razor using a little lather and some added water. I then did CrOx on felt followed by my normal stropping routine. There was a noticeable improvement to the shave. I think I'll play with this stone some more.
    [​IMG]

6. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Okay now after reading this thread, I realize I should add a BH to my honing collection. Are there any tips on finding a decent one?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  7. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

As with most things related to vintage shaving stuff, condition condition condition. The brands I mentioned are my favorites in my box of barber hones but there are so very very many. There is a thread over at the Razor and Stone where some work has been done in an attempt to classify the unclassified barbers hones. It is a good source of information about barbers hones. It ranks them in relation to a grit rating by viewing the scratch pattern. It is certainly not exacting science however it is the only work like it that I have ever heard of. It is not perfect but it is something, and he has certainly put a lot of work into it. You cannot go wrong with a Swaty in good shape either. They still pop up every now and then in absolute perfect condition. If you can find them at a reasonable price they are worth having. Careful how deep you want to go into the rabbit hole.

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

EBay is where I found mine. I've watching for a while now. Some, you can tell on the pictures that they're chipped and damaged. The prices are all over the place. I saw one that I wanted, because it had a nice box and the stone was nice, go for $60 and change. Way to high for a tightwad like me:). I did finally come across the one I bought for bin of 14.99 +6 for shipping. The pictures were fuzzy and ou we of focus, but nothing bad jumped out, so we offered $12 and they took it. So for $18 I took a chance and scored one that looks new with the exception of one tiny chip. Mine is a Swaty from Austria.
    You could also put something wtb in the classifieds here. Check out the bay, you'll get a flavor, but be patient deals do come up. I just missed a nice one that went for 12 bucks total.
    Edit: I hate typing on my phone......

DaltonGang, TheFiveO, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  9. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Anyone try a barbers pet? I've come across one that looks like a black thuringian but can't confirm. Don't really want one that's not a natural.
    Not a delight but looks similar cut and colour wise.

DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I am under the impression that all barber hones are synthetic.

Kizurra, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Most, not all. Barbers delight as well as droescher hones were by escher as well as a few others, just don't remember all the labels. I don't think the pet is an escher but maybe another thuringian label.

DaltonGang, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

I have never used a barbers hone. If I need a refresh it now goes to the LV coticule on water only or the Artaunon with thuri slurry. Both are about barbers hone size.