Let's See Your Blade Stash...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PanChango, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I have three packs of Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum black label, a couple of packs of Derbys and two packs of Personnas.

I don't get the whole blade stash thing. In most places one can walk down to the corner drugstore and get double edge blades, so there is no reason to keep thousands on hand. In remote places, blades can be mail ordered. Even if a favorite blade is discontinued, a large stash only postpones the inevitable.

Even if gorgo's doomsday shavepocalypse scenario comes true, safety razors and blades will still be made overseas. The price may increase when they are smuggled into the US, but they would still be available if is a demand present. The reason incandescent light bulbs will eventually disappear is lack of demand, not restrictive laws. Since the demand for traditional wetshaving gear is increasing sharply, it stands to reason that it will be available in the future. Profits trump politics most of the time, something that ends up benefiting us shavers in the end.

2. Mark

Mark New Member

Here's my first sampler pack that I bought. I think I'm set for a while!

[​IMG]

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Here's my massive stash LOL

Attached Files:

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Most of us do it because we come across good deals on the blades. For example, the group buy we did on Voskhod blades this year. 10 cents each shipped while the vendors were selling them for 25 cents each shipped. Same thing for me with the Feathers I just ordered. Normally they are 35 to 50 cents each. I was able to get them for 27 cents each, cheapest I've seen them, so I bought 100. Most of us don't do it for shaving-doomsday scenarios. :)

5. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

One thing about economics. Prices tend to go up every year. The Derby blades that I bought last year for $10/100 are now $12-$13/100

6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I've got more on my counter, but I'm not gonna bother taking a picture as they're all mixed.

IMGP0639.JPG

Recklesstr, wristwatchb and DLreno like this.
  7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

That's the injector blades I got, from Amazon. Good blades.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  8. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I miss hopping in my truck and driving to the next light and walking into CVS to get Personna's, but the Chinese Schick's work the best.

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

They sell those Chinese Shicks at a grocery store nearby for $5/pack. Found them about a month ago. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we all stalk the shave aisles at every store we enter :D

Sodapopjones and GDCarrington like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Please allow me to clarify: my main reason is the same as yours - if you can get them cheap, you don't have to get them pricey; store them right and they'll last literally forever (or until you're dead, at which point someone else can deal with them). I do believe someday the move I described will be made, on some scale, but that's only the 2ndary reason I have as many as I do.

Shaver X: I don't see demand for Edison-style lightbulbs ever falling off, especially not in favor of perpetually more expensive, more dangerous, questionably efficient compact fluorescents. I'll freely admit it if I turn out wrong, but I just don't see that happening.

Shutting up now.

battle.munky likes this.
  11. Shaver X

Ah, ok now I see. That makes a lot of sense.

12. Shaver X

It seems you are right, there is still demand for incandescent lightbulbs. I saw this clip on DW-TV's Arts21 show shortly after I made that post.

Fluorescents are more efficient than incandescent bulbs, as fluorescents generate only a fraction of the heat. Heat is wasted energy. My parents replaced all their incandescent bulbs with flourescents and saw a substantial savings on their monthly electric bill. I also have some fluorescent lights, and have found they last much longer than older style bulbs. There is a delay for the fluorescent lights to come to full brightness after they are switched on, though. LED lights, increasingly common, and should soon replace fluorescent lighting.

I just don't see the government legislating against wetshaving though. There must be more than a few long-serving officials who still partake of traditional wetshaving pleasures. You can bet they will fight tooth and nail for those things important to them. In any event, all we can do is the best we can with what we have. For what it is worth, I still shave by the light of good ol' Edison light bulbs.

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I don't remember! Ack!

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Whoa. Vintage thread.

Unfortunately, my blades are out of control right now. The Rapira Swedes that I paid $21 per 100 a few years ago can now be had for a fraction of the price. I also picked up 200 Super Iridiums a few months ago with them going out production. If I had to guess, I probably have about 1200 blades right now. Im too lazy to count, but I know I won't need any for the next couple of decades.

15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Daleski! I have been out of touch for too long... Any idea if the Super Irridium came back as the Polsilver??? I seem to recall that that was a possibility...

PanChango likes this.
  16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Yes. There were a few iterations(blue, brown, whatever :)), but I didn't keep track. I had a few tucks of these and knew I liked them so I grabbed some from Veli ( @dcc ). His price on 200 is what bullgoose is charging for 100. http://www.polsilver-blades.com/

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My stash is only a few hundred.
    [​IMG]

Recklesstr, wristwatchb and PanChango like this.
  18. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I was feeling like I had a problem since I have ordered quite a number of blades. Then I saw the above posting. I feel much better now. In fact I may even order some more.

19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy097:

20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Just(over the weekend) ordered 100 Voskhods for use in my SA-109. And maybe my NEW SC depending on the outcome of my latest Focus. Have 50 Shark and 50 GSB's. Along with other odds and sods from samplers. Small stuff when compared to some, but hey gimmie some time!

Bama Samurai, wristwatchb and Col C like this.