Let's talk about the dark side of wet shaving

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morning Shave, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Morning Shave

Morning Shave Well-Known Member

I'm trying to understand if aggressive razor users have more nicks and bleeders than non-aggressive razors.
    I'm asking experienced wet shavers:
    In a one month period of time about how many times do you see blood.
    Please also state aggressive or mild (non-aggressive) type of razor.
    I'm asking experienced users because the level of skills of experienced users should all be in the same ballpark.

2. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

My favorite razor is the Ikon Shavecraft Tech, considered to be an aggressive razor, and I rarely get bit by it, possibly because I'm very used to it, I did a 30 focus with it. I actually see more nicks when I use a less aggressive razor because I am trying too hard to get the smoothness of the Ikon.

Herm2502 and Red Rider like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've cut myself twice in the last two or three years. Both times was fairly recent. Second outing with the IBC shavette, and first outing with the Blackbird.

I don't expect to cut myself with either razor anytime soon, and they are both high on my aggressive list. (Edit: though I've tamed the Blackbird.)

I've never ever cut myself with a Gillette Super Speed. Been using a variety of those for a number of years now.

Are aggressive razors more prone to bite you? Sure. If you've mastered a light touch, they aren't any more dangerous than a mild razor.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    RaZorBurn123 and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Rarely do I see blood.
    Everything from a Blue Tip to the Old Type.

Just gotta learn how to use the tools ya got.

RaZorBurn123, PLANofMAN and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I consider safety razors more 'aggressive' if they are more efficient than those 'less aggressive.' To me, this means a razor that requires less passes to achieve the same level of closeness as one considered 'mild' or 'less aggressive.'
    Not all 'aggressive' razors, in my experience, are 'blood-letters.'

The most aggressive DE razors I've used are, in descending order of aggressiveness:
    1. Mühle r41 (2011 version)
    2. Mühle r41 (2013 version)
    3. Barbasol Floating Head
    4. Merkur Futur (dialed open)
    5. FaTip
    6. Merkur 39c slantbar

The biggest 'blood or weeper maker' in my experience from the above list was the FaTip (sold it!).
    My favorite on the list is the one listed at the top (2011 R41). Many don't care for it and consider it a harsh shaver.
    In my opinion, that razor is the closest to a straight razor shave one can get with a DE razor.

6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I find new wet DE or SE shavers will have issues like weepers or redness with more aggressive razors. Once experienced I find more aggressive razors (up to a point) less aggravating on the skin since I have to do less passes or no buffing.

Only time I find I cut now is if I have a "blemish" on my skin prior to shaving but even then can float over most. My 39c can cause redness around Adam's apple if not careful.
    My OCMM can cause weepers around chin if anything but lightest touch used.

Last cut I got was with a shavette. Needless to say I don't use one on a regular basis either.

Spyder, Tdmsu and AGHisBBS like this.
  7. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

My issue with aggressive is not blood it's irritation I like to keep my shave down to two passes or one pass and a touch up still have the same results that I get with three passes on a mild razor. If I'm too tired to concentrate and I grab the Gillette NEW And the number of passes doesn't really matter it's smooth

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My most aggressive razor is the 2013 R41. I agree with Kevin, who correctly states that aggressiveness and efficiency are different. But the question from the OP is about blood. I haven't cut myself in over 18 months in my 2 year return to wet shaving. Interestingly, it was with my Feather AS-D2! Don't let anybody tell you that a mild razor can't bite you.
    If I get greedy and try an ATG on my upper lip with the R41, I'll almost always get a weeper, so I avoid that, even with my most slick soaps. With my vintage Gillettes, I would have to blind-fold myself and use my left hand to draw blood. ;)

Red Rider, RyX, Boojum1 and 2 others like this.
  9. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

My most aggressive razor I've had was a 39c and I could never get used to it so I sold it. It would give me weepers if I tried ATG passes but I think it was trying to find the right blade combined with just not liking the feel of the razor.

Right now I'm enjoying my Red Tip which is considered aggressive. Light touch and sound technique and you'll have no blood. Last night I caught a bump on my neck that usually isn't there, I don't know what it is, maybe an ingrown hair or something, and it bled. But that's the first real blood I've had in some time.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I am to the point that no safety razor makes me bleed anymore. Seven months of focus threads have helped me understand how much pressure to use and what angle is needed to get a nice two pass shave. I am graduating to straights which will have their own learning curve and may see a little blood again

11. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

When i use a merkur 180 or edwin jagger 89 i rarely rarely see blood. When i use my mhule r41 it lops of a small mole (bump) i have everytime!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

The only blood I'll let is if I get a weeper from shaving a bump or something similar (read zit). Or sometimes if I get a little complacent around the adams apple. Otherwise no cuts.

13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

AGHisBBS and CyanideMetal like this.
  14. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

My worst combo is my Red Tip and any blade. I have not mastered the skills to shave with this razor without getting a nick of two. The best is my Black Tip received in a gracious trade with @Jayaruh .

AGHisBBS, mrchick and Jayaruh like this.
  15. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I have very sensitive skin. I shave with several types of razors, including some considered aggressive...Red Tip, The Hammer, Floating Head. No matter what I use, I see blood. Period. But I get weepers, not nicks. I never feel a "bite", I never have an "Ow! I got myself!" moment. But my cold towel always looks like a map of the stars.

AGHisBBS, David Green and mrchick like this.
  16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I use anywhere from a 40s SS to a 2011 R41 and haven't seen blood in a long time. I will get some irritation every once in a while, mainly when I'm switching from one razor to a different one and usually only on the first shave on that razor. No blood in a long time though.

Haven't had a weeper in a long time. Good. I hated getting them.

AGHisBBS and mrchick like this.
  17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I rarely get bit and I have a 39c which I actually like and a raft of other razors that I get along with. I spent a short time with an R41 but we just couldn't get along so I sold it. My most recent bleeder came from my Blackbird and it was a good one. I bought my first stiptic pencil today after 2 plus years of not needing one...

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I would start thinking about a different blade. What your mainstay soap?

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That Black Tip was a sweet razor. I'm glad I was finally able to replace it. zthumbsup.png

AGHisBBS likes this.
  20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I rarely get a real cut and can't remember the last time. I still get an occasional weeper but only if I'm using my most aggressive: R41 or 1918 single ring. I just go slow and deliberate, especially around the chin area.