Let's talk about the dark side of wet shaving

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morning Shave, Jan 8, 2016.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

When I got started wet shaving I was trying three pass with buffing, j-hooking, shaving on an angle, etc. I was getting lots of weepers and irritation to get those early BBS shaves. When I got into the focus groups, I started listening to the more experienced guys and simplified my shaves. I worked on angles and pressure to try and reduce the irritation. I got a lot of DFS while working on this but that was ok. I now very rarely lather a third time and get consistent BBS two pass shaves WTG and ATG. Some times I have to do a little touch up XTG just below the jaw line. I believe that the reason I no longer get weepers and irritation is that I am not dragging a sharp blade three or four or more times across my face. I do not have leather skin, I have just found a shaving routine that works well for me. I also have found that mild razors, like the Tech, can require too many passes for me to get good results without irritation. I tend to like more aggressive setups. I realize that what works for me might not work for others, but I get consistent results this way. Have fun!

2. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

It might be your skin, i rarely cut myself save for a mole and i almost never never saw blood with a cart. I was using mach 3 then the hydro5 and i really cant remember a time a cut myself with a cart

AGHisBBS, RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Morning Shave

Morning Shave Well-Known Member

I truly admire all of you who have skills with SE and really aggressive DE razors. I also truly admire the mild non-aggressive razors users who have the skills to achieve a great comfortable shave. If you wish you can substitute the word "technique" for "skill".
    For me, I've been enjoying my mild, non-aggressive Feather AS D2 and my mild, non-aggressive ikon OSS. I also enjoy my Progress razor but I've been using it less than the my other two.
    I can look forward to an enjoyable experience without fear of the razor. I can concentrate on improving my skills (technique) without fear of blood letting.
    I'm not saying aggressive shaver are in error; I understand through your post that aggressive users are getting every bit the enjoyment that I am.
    The combination of razors, blades and soap offer a palette of experiences that allow us all to choose our favorite combination of tools.
    As I said before; this is an interesting thread that allowed me a glimpse into some wet shavers thinking. I believe that the revelations we share help us all become better wet shavers.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  4. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

when I get a shave its typically been a blade issue, lather issue, or trying to rush through the shave.

Shaver X and Keithmax like this.
  5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Please don't tell me that Lord Vader is my father :p
    [​IMG]

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Dark Side is really more about the cookies, and of course straights. Ultimate pact with evil and destruction of Rebel Alliance optional. You can still carry a light Sabre that's not red. ☺

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I rarely see blood and if I do it is usually operator error. If I hurry or if the blade is not up to snuff or the lather is lacking I should know better now than to just keep on with the shave.

I use straights and aggressive DE and SEs.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any blood (from shaving) for almost a year. I only use DEs, from very mild to moderately aggressive.

The last time I nicked myself was with a cartridge razor ;) A Trac II which drew blood from my chin area.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Ahh yes, the chin. One of my trouble areas before I grew my goatee.

Shaver X and Karl G like this.
  10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, the two blades of the Trac II make it a bit more risky to navigate bumps, in my experience.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

It's rare that I get a nick or a weeper, usually when I use my Micromatic OC and not paying attention. I've also learned to stop shaving when the wife is trying to get something near the sink

12. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Every now and then when I'm not careful enough on my long angular giraffe-like neck. Almost never on the face.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Unless I have knocked the top off of a bump (pimple, mosquito bite), I consider it to have been a poor shave if there is blood involved. I shave with razors ranging in efficiency from Superspeeds to the R41 (2013).

Demidog likes this.
  14. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I only see blood if I let my facial hair grow more than 2 full days. And even then I don't always bleed. I use a very mild Merkur 33C as my main razor at the moment. This razor doesn't handle 2+ days of growth very well and I really should go with a more aggressive razor if I wait this long. Luckily I have 2 RazoRocks on the way !!!

Demidog likes this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I got a nice gash on my face and a hole in my chin early last week with what is deemed an aggressive razor; that being a straight razor:) BUT I cannot remember the last cut or weeper I got with a de, se or injector. I have sensitive skin and a tough beard and prefer an aggressive razor, hence the move to the "dark side". Don't worry the blood and pain will force you to hone (pun intended) your skills:)

Karl G, Bama Samurai and Demidog like this.
  16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I've returned to wet shaving with a DE blade about 4 months ago. Although I am still going through a large sample pack of blades - I have had just one "cut" and two small "bleeders". As my technique has improved greatly - no cuts or nicks for the last month - even with a variety of blades. I use a Merkur 34c which I understand is a mild/less aggressive razor. Now irritation is a different story. Some of these blades I'm am trying have a fair amount of irritation - especially on my neck. Amazing how some blades just glide along giving an excellent smooth shave with no irritation and other seem to "scrape" along causing all sorts of discomfort.

17. StephenC

StephenC New Member

I shave with the ATT Colossus SE1 have found a light touch basically no pressing into the skin. Seems to work for me as I've learned to slow down take my time and enjoy the shaving experience. I shave in the shower. The steam prep works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

With about 35 years of wetshaving, I think I am at least somewhat experienced.

I would say that a shave with an aggressive razor does not lead to more nicks or irritation, unless you treat it like a mild razor. It might even be advantageous for a newcomer to start with a medium aggressive razor, because it probably gives more useful feedback than a mild one.

What a (medium) aggressive razor teaches you is how much difference the shaving angle really makes. It allows you to fine-tune your shave, so to speak.

Edit: can't remember the last time I nicked myself.

19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

LOL! Shaving with small kids was an experience

I still can remember my daughter tumbling down the stairs while I was shaving, when she was a toddler ... fortunately she wasn't hurt!

20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If you are talking about how many time I cut myself with DE Razors, then the answer is rarely. I shaved with a Gillette Fatboy, on settling #5. I did this for for about 2 1/2 years. It was easy and I could just about do it blindfolded.
    Now, for about 6 months, I've been using straight razors. About once every other week I will get a tiny sweeper, but usually nothing bad, anymore.

Spyder and mrchick like this.