Let's talk about the dark side of wet shaving

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morning Shave, Jan 8, 2016.

1. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I admire you lucky shavers, you kings of New England/shavers. I truly do, but I wonder how close you actually shave. I wonder what you are satisfied with when it comes to a shave? I wish I could go back to yesteryear and actually experience a 60 years past barber's shave with a straight razor? I don't ever remember being nicked or having any weepers when the barber cut the haircut line across the back including trimmed sideburns? Never once so many years ago. When I don't shave for anything more than a decent shave or a DFS, I have no weeper troubles, no cuts, no nothing except the result is a not a really close smooth shave. And, I do try for a really close shave. Why, I wonder myself? One where stubble doesn't bother my shirt collars and doesn't itch while scraping back and forth against a flannel shirt or T-shirt, or jacket collar. But, my chin and at the corners of my mouth, when I try for something better, something not scraping clothing--- always get weepers. Nothing alum won't work for, and never felt while shaving, like a nick. Maybe it is my skin, my old thin skin after all, or maybe it is my age and I would hope not---maybe it is my technique? But I kind of think it is my own struggle for a very smooth shave that is the cause. I wish I knew? I wish I could arrive at something better each and every day----morning, noon, or night?? Not gonna happen though!! It is what it is, and that is all that it is!

Spyder likes this.
  2. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

After over 2 years I can think of 2 times where blood flowed, not a weeper or tiny cut but a good size slice. Both were due to me shaving to fast and not paying attention. And they both were within 6 months I would guess if when I started.
    No blood in about 1 and 1/2 years since. No matter if I am using a Slim on 9 or the 6S MIM plate 6 with a feather, I have to almost try to cut myself.
    I'm only speaking for me here but technique when good provides at minimum a DFS and BBS frequently.
    Good beard prep, and good lather also helps.
    I feel for those who have issues, only thing I can recommend is a 30 days focus. Got back to basics. My .02

Spyder likes this.
  3. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

No! because I really don't want to know that Darth Vader was my father :p who trying to teach me the dark side of wet shaving ;)

Spyder likes this.
  4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree. As Vince Lombardi did with each new football season. He would on the first day of practice hold a football, with all the professional football players on the Packer's team sitting in front of him, and say "this is a football". Its all about the basics.

dbersh likes this.
  5. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I had that happen the other day. Terrifying.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Happened 20 years ago for me, and I still remember ... go figure

7. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Haha. I hate having stairs with a toddler

8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Just wait until they go into the city on their bicycle ... alone!

There will be many more moments ;)

mrchick likes this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

The most aggressive razors I've used are 39c, OCMM, r41(2011). Strangely the more aggressive I get the less trouble I have with nicks and cuts. And definitely the less irritation.

mrchick likes this.
  10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I basically share that; aggressive razors with good technique mean zero irritation for me.
    The same is true for me with a mild razor and a sharp blade (e.g. Feather).

11. Dapper-in-a-can-man

From where I live that would be quite a feat and I'd be impressed haha. Right @richgem