Let's Talk Arkansas Stones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Mar 17, 2017.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Et tu, Tom?

Bjoerge Brathagen, Karl G and twhite like this.
  2. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

A dan's comes completly lapped.i've honed several razors on the factory finish and got superbe edges on it.doing about 100 laps after the shapton 12k.

Karl G, Spyder, twhite and 2 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

From what I've Sen and experienced, these Armies are worth the time to put an extra sharp edge on your razors. I've used the Arkie on some of my blades that were lacking that extra sharp edge, and this stone brought it out. Other razors I own don't need the Arkie, and I didn't use it on them. It's just an extra tool in the honing arsenal. @HolyRollah , these stones aren't for the person trying to make a living sharpening stones, or someone who doesn't have the time or patience to do around 100 laps minimum.
    If I had to do it over, I would pay the extra money for a Dan's stone. The workout I got lapping my stone wasn't worth the time, effort, and frustration.

4. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Dan's aren't just $50 more...
    They are $200 more for the same stone that I purchased.

You would have to look back through the whole thread to see.

I paid $66 for an 8x3x1 stone complete. I spent $20 on silicone carbide powders.

And as far as time?
    Sure, sometimes you just want a quick fix. And there are products for that.
    But sometimes you just want better. Better sometimes isn't the hard and difficult route.
    Sometimes it's picking up a cheap disposable razor.
    But that's not why we are here. This is a hobby and like any good hobby some parts just take some time.

I can build an rc aircraft and fly it or I can just buy one assembled and then fly it. Huge price difference...Huge difference to me in the enjoyment. Everyone's mileage varies.

But I got a stone that will be better than a $260 stone very soon and paid less than half that for it. I'm having a good time.

And @HolyRollah . If someone is using that many strokes on an Arkansas stone they have skipped a progression step somewhere along the way for that to be necessary. The whole progression with 4 stones might take 200-250 strokes...But not just one stone.

I take a few extra laps on my arkies...But I have small pocket sized arkies except for the black one I just got. I'll probably get the other ones larger and bench sized eventually due to them being easier to work with.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Karl G, Spyder, HolyRollah and 3 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Everyone has good points, according to their own needs. For me, I paid $39 for mine, vs $67 at Dan's, for the 6x2 stone. Not including shipping. It wasn't the money, but the time and effort involved in lapping.

Karl G, Spyder and Bjoerge Brathagen like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

My apologies, while I have been following the thread, I did not notice the size of the stone you had purchased. I had been looking at a 6x3x1/2 which is $120, and I assumed more than enough rock to use as a finisher for an individuals razors.

I would still likely go that route over a one inch stone, all things considered. If I don't have to lap a quarter inch off each side to make it flat, I should be set for the rest of my days.

Karl G, Spyder, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  7. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

But you actually have a 2 grit finishing stone. Dan's aren't lapped that way. I think that you have something better than what you could buy.

Uhhh. You are not going to be able to lap that much stone off an arkie. They are too hard. It took 35 years of abuse for my soft and hard arkies to need lapping. The black are considerably harder and finer than those two. Probably won't ever need to do this again.

8. PickledNorthern

Right..... You make my point. That's why I figure a half inch stone is plenty for what I need. I am one guy, looking to finish a few full hollow razors.

I was not casting aspersions at your rock, or your efforts. I simply asked if I could avoid the step you are going through if I spent more money on it.

Karl G, Spyder, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Kevin

There is a Lot of Crud gets Written about Arkies in Forums & Gets Carried Over..I have Never Seen So Much Crap in Forums Regarding this Stone..They Can be a Challenge to Lap if they are Not Flat..Yes..But..These Days they Come Flat & Smooth from Reputable Sources..It Only Takes 10 Min or So to Take them to Say 1000 Grit or So...Job Done..;)

There is No Need to Burnish them in My Opinion..Mine had at Least a 20 K Finishing Capacity from the Start..Also..All this 2000/3000 Laps on a Single Razor is Amateur Talk to be Honest..I Would Suggest Most of the Stuff I have Seen in Forums about these Stones is a Load Awe Guff..Some Folks Clearly Cant Use them is All..:D

All the Stuff You are Reffering to Put Me Off them Until I Contacted Someone whom Knew what he was Talkin about..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

10. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

Think i paid 86$ for my 6x3 dan's from an e-bay store.it was a new un used stone.

11. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I've heard that Dan's are lapped and if this is true then it might be worth it for you. I'd be getting a true translucent stone for the look. Lapp it to two different grits and go with that.

DaltonGang, Spyder, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

Thank you. That is what I have read. If I decide to buy one, I think I will go that route.

Karl G, Spyder, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Dans Stones are a Safe Bet..Some Folks Make a Lot of Grief for themselves by Trying to Save a Few Bucks..The Beauty about Dans Stones is that Mine was Hone Ready in Jig Time from the Box with a Light Higher Grit Lapping..No Grief..Easy Peasy..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, Spyder, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  14. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

You can call it greif if you want. I call it just part of the hunt.

Besides, one day possibly in 20 years I might need to do this again. Having the experience might come in handy.

15. PickledNorthern

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not denying this, John. When extra time or effort is required for a hobby we love, we accommodate it with little or no complaint.

I'd also be inclined to buy a pre-finished stone as well and avoid the extra work.
    Out-of-pocket cost upfront vs the cost of one's time and effort.

Karl G, Spyder, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

I completely agree, and think the
    same way. Heck, as hard as these stones are, 1/2 inch thick is plenty to last a couple of lifetimes.

I look at my negative experiences with my Arkie a lesson for myself and others. It teaches others who not to buy from, if you have the money to buy a more expensive, and better lapped stone.. I'm the type that takes the Road Less Traveled. Unless it takes a couple of hours to lap flat. Live and learn.

18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I will agree with you, Kevin. You don't need one. You need at least three: Soft, Hard, Black, and/or Translucent.

19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I purchased the Norton trans Arkie, 1" X 4". It's small, it came flat and only needed a little work on the wet dry sandpaper to smooth it out: done deal. It's small but but affordable and it does what I need to do. The full sized Norton trans arkie is pushing $200, which is more than I'm willing to lay out form my small collection.

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Don't think I haven't considered at least ONE of these stones at some time or another, Adam. ;)
    I received an email from Michael at Zulu Grey that my December order is scheduled to ship next week. This means I'll soon have two new hard stones to keep me busy for a while & keep me sufficiently distracted from the Arkies. :happy088: