Let's Talk Arkansas Stones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I don't know, once I saw the package, everything else was a blur:)

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I was sitting and Veging in front of the TV. I was thinking of what to shave with. I decided to try my Black Diamond again. I figured I would give it a go on the Arkie. It is a great way to pass time.

Will be shaving later tonight with it. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

[​IMG]

4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Tom: looks like you need the hurry up and get that razor in action :happy102:

5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I used it last night. The Arkie finish did not disappoint.

7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Billy where do you find these things. I like her gyrations a LOT

8. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I do not recognize that Scotch? I bet it was yummy.

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Both of these razors needed a touch up. I honed on the Norton 4/8k, skipped the usual 1 micron lapping film and went straight to the Arkie. I did a side-by-side comparison. The Challenge Cutlery (U.S.) vs. G. Johnson,Sheffield (U.K). Three passes the U.S. on the right side and the U.K, on the left.
    The Challenge Cutlery seemed a little sharper, perhaps more of a "crisp" feel, whereas the Sheffield felt more smooth. Bottom line: results were bbs and identical face feel. Both ended up with excellent edges coming off the 8k directly to the Arkie. Actually this is the best edge I have been able to get on the Sheffield razor. He's been a problem child to hone; till now :D

IMG_0893.JPG

11. Billyfergie

Sheffield Hollow Grinds Need Some Care on an Arkie..They Don't Like High Grit Finishers in General..12/16 K is Optimal for Hollow Grind Sheffield's..A Well Lapped Arkie Can Take them Out to 20 K..Depending on the Amount of Sets Used..So Less Sets & Keeping Tabs on the Feel or Sharpness of the Edge is Key When Honing Sheffield Hollow Grinds on an Arkie...:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

12. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I started Shaving this morning and it wasn't great.
    I knew that it should be better than this.
    I had a thought...
    And so I stopped and stropped my razor.
    It went butter smooth after that.

Obviously I had forgotten to strop my razor after all that honing.

It was one of those "DOH!" moments.
    I felt like such an idiot.

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've had those moments, when I have to hone several razors. When in doubt, just hone it again, or strop it again.

14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

If any of you guys are on the fence about acquiring an Arkie; check the BST for a great deal on a new one.

15. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Lovely stone, Keith.

16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I just picked up two new Arkansas stones. A gentleman on facebook purchased a lot of seconds from Dan's Whetstones. These are stones that had cosmetic flaws once cut, so the final lapping was never done on them. I need to order some more SIC powder, because I don't want to spend the next three years getting the saw marks out. Once I have these lapped, my full Arkansas progression will include Washita, Soft, Hard, Surgical Black, Translucent. As long as the lapping comes out good, the 8x2 translucent will replace my current 4x2 translucent. The Washita should allow me to go from my 3k or 5k stones to the Arks pretty easily, but I might play with it and see if it will set a bevel.
    IMG_7114.jpg

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I take it that the Washita is on the top, and that's a Translucent on the bottom? What are their sizes??

Billyfergie likes this.
  18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Yes. The Washita is 2x6, and the Translucent is 2x8. both are about 3/4 of an inch thick.

19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My wife gave me a 2X6 surgical black last night for an anniversary gift. Now I have to start doing some reading to figure out how to use it. [​IMG]

20. Billyfergie

[​IMG]