Lets talk ATG

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JayKay, Apr 10, 2008.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I've been shaving for about a year now and I think my technique is rather good. I get no irritation, no blemishes, no razor burn. Life is good, I cant complain. I usually do 2 n-s passes and 1 e-w and 1 w-e pass. Any time i ever go ATG my face hurts like hell. Theres no irritation or anything, my skin is just unbelievably raw. No matter what cream, what razor, what blade, or what asb I use, it hurts for at least 24 hours. This happened to me when I used an m3, even when I used the cheap single blade Bics. Is my skin just sensitive? Do I just have to start shaving atg frequently until my skin builds up a tolerance for this or is it hopeless? Depending on my razor/blade combo I can get a bbs smooth shave without going atg but its probably done much easier by just doing atg passes. Whats the deal guys?

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

It is just a simple fact some people's faces cannot take ATG. Really that is what it boils down to. It might be a case of not QUITE enough prep or maybe an disagreeable component but if the results are there without ATG then I wouldn't personally concern myself with it.

If you have been shaving a long time, tech is good and equipment is good and ATG still makes you raw then you might be one of those people who simply cannot tolerate it.

3. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

JayKay,

Same boat most of the time for me (using a straight but really any type of blade). WTG and XTG passes are great and then I get irritated going ATG.

The only thing I've found is that this happens when I shave daily. If I leave a day or two in between shaves, it doesn't happen as much.

Does your whole face feel this way? Mine only does it under the chin and one 1 spot just under the right corner of the mouth down to the jawline.

4. JayKay

My whole face feels like it took an acid bath after shaving ATG. When I wear a jacket in the winter and the collar brushes up against my neck/cheek I just feel the burn. I'm thinking that ATG just isnt for me. Your right. I get good results from the other passes, why bother with atg.

5. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

If it is that bad Jay, I'd say that ATG is not possible for you and with that kind of irritation.. I wouldn't even bother! :eek:

6. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

+1!

7. JayKay

Agreed. I guess this would be problem solved than. Thanks guys!

8. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

It's very common that many guys can't handle ATG. Most barbers that do shaves don't bother either, unless you specifically request it.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, I've finished all my shaves ATG from day 1. Or maybe I'm not so lucky as my shaves take longer with the extra pass :rolleyes:

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

As said before some people can't ATG. You might be one of those people. Don't fret it. I can ATG everything but my lower neck. It's just too sensitive an area.

10. JayKay

I do 2 wtg passes and 2 xtg passes. From everything I've been reading and watched I could in theory cut out that 2nd wtg pass couldnt I? There isnt much point in adding the extra pass.

11. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I almost always do ATG too, at least with a DE. And I like the extra time it takes... For me the shave isn't really about getting a BBS, but "me time"; So a longer shave is preferred :D

12. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

My first pass is almost always ATG. If I recall correctly, I did this when I shaved with a Mach3 as well. I now have zero issues with ingrowns which was not the case previously. My second pass is with the grain and I'm usually done. Very rarely do I make a third pass. Do you relather in between passes? I usually get some soap lather on my fingers and water it down just a bot and use that for the second pass. When i first started with the DE I just kept scrapping away and that was not pleasant.

13. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I try to squeeze a third pass in, just for pleasure, and I relather between passes.

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

WTG with a str8 or Feather ACD-N followed by a 45 degree XTG pass with a DE and finally, an ATG/cleanup pass with a DE about halfway down the neck up to just above the jawline and chin. Call it 2 1/2 passes.

15. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

I'm going to try that- I really don't get much results wise with the WTG and XTG passes. But the final ATG makes the difference. Might as well at least try it first...

16. JayKay

It must be my 20yr old skin :D

17. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

JK:

took me almost 2 years to accept the fact my face hates ATG passes.
    I can do it on my cheeks and upper neck for special occassions ;) .....but ATG on the lower neck means nothing but pain and suffering.
    If you can get BBS with your current technique, stick with it.

18. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

WOW

I'm not the only one:D

19. fn2shave

fn2shave New Member

As much reduction passes as possible before attempting ATG.

20. JayKay

fn2shave, read the first post. 2wtg &2xtg before even attempting it. The skins just to sensitive. Add another person to the anti-atg club.