LF help identifying a Gillette razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Picked up this one today from France for $10 but I haven't been able to fully identify it.

Photos of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I checked with Joachim and he mentioned that it looks a lot like these traveler razors from the 1920's but there are some minor difference and the box is not a match.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone would happen to know/have one of these I'd be happy to learn more.

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I am extremely confident in saying the case is a Gillette...:lyrtuy5:

chrisbd, Douglas Carey and Darkbulb like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

[​IMG]Find out what Gillette model/year the razor is

[​IMG] Find out if it's a Gillette box

pvtbanks, jmaier, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Ah, yes the Gillette French travel razor. The case is larger because it held a small white surrender flag that could be attached to the handle.

gorgo2, chrisbd, jmaier and 14 others like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Not unexpectedly, Joachim (@mr-razor) came through and cleared up the mystery :)

a) The razor is a traveler/pocket vest Gillette from the 1920's, but
    b) The case is actually a French "Voyage No 104" from 1924 that is intended to house a British, old style, ball-end handled razor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So...now I'm off to track down a nice British razor from as close to 1924 as possible to complete the cased set.
    Rather happy about the 4-piece Traveler as these are not very common.

So, "mystery" solved

[​IMG]Find out what Gillette model/year the razor is

[​IMG] Find out if it's a Gillette box

Jim99, 24Fanatic365, mr-razor and 6 others like this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:happy097:

Dzia Dzia and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The razor arrived - and with it, unfortunately, more questions.

I already know that the case is a mismatch but I thought the razor itself was a four-piece Gillette journey/travel razor from the 1920's.
    Well...turns out that the handle doesn't seem to want to come apart at all and there are some other small differences that have me curious about what it is.
    The head is stamped Gillette but I wonder if he handle is Gillette original or a no-name knock off made around that time.

[​IMG]
    The circle around the hole in the baseplate is twice the size of the handle that it came with;
    [​IMG]
    Even though the handle looks very much like the Traveler 2369 pictured further up the thread from @mr-razor I think I see some minor difference - well, apart from that I can't seem to get mine to come apart. Maybe it's just really, really stuck?
    [​IMG]
    I've asked Joachim for his expert opinion but at this point I'm somewhat leaning toward a third-party handle...unless I'm just so weak that I can't screw the thing apart...
    [​IMG]

Jim99 likes this.
  9. Morman Bridge

I have one of those handles too, Darkbulb. Apply a small drop or two of penetrating oil in the seam that is at the bottom of the upper knurled portion of the handle. You can see the seam where they seperate right at the bottom of the upper knurling. Let the oil soak in for a while. You could even set the handle next to your coffee pot so the warmth will allow the oil to seep in. You can also wrap the halves on a rag and grasp the rag wrapped ends with a pair of pliers on each end, and twist them apart. They will seperate. Give these suggestions a try. Good luck.

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks I'll be trying those out tomorrow :)

11. Morman Bridge

The bottom half of those handles are hollow, you could even drop a little oil into the bottom while holding it upside down. When these handles are seperated, the upper portion slides into the hollow part of the lower portion. That is how they fit in the tin they come in. I had to work on mine for an hour to get the two pieces apart when I got mine. Just use the penetrating oil, and let that soak in for a while, then use the pliers. Just wrap the handle real good with a rag before you grip it with the pliers. Then just unscrew the two halves from each other. You can do it.

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

this handle looks a little bit different to the handle of my 4-piece razors. Maybe it´s not a Gillette handle and maybe it´s not a 2-piece handle. Here is a look inside my handle:

upload_2015-10-27_8-27-49.jpeg

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Morman Bridge

Hello Achim, you may be correct about that sir. Now that you mention it is different, I see it is different than mine too. Here are a couple of photos, the first the two halves are screwed together-

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445931836.137605.jpg

And this photo they are partially unscrewed. -

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445931898.085896.jpg

I'm unable to photo the inside with my camera phone. I know you are rarely wrong, so I am wondering if his handle comes apart too. Thank you Achim!

Jim99 and Darkbulb like this.
  14. Morman Bridge

Darkbulb, did your handle ever seperate? Inquiring minds want to know???

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Got home late today so didn't get to play with the razor :(
    The more I look at just the pictures even the knurling looks 'off' so I'm quite a bit in the 'no-four-piece-razor-camp' but I'll use some gentle, brute force later this week to see for sure :D

Jim99 likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011:

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Bought a second looks-like-a-Gillette-four-piece razor for yet another $10.
    We'll see if this one comes apart when it gets here next week...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie and Jayaruh like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  19. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

For anyone who might have info about a small Gillette razor with brass handle and bottom plate and a copper top piece. Shaves real similar to my Gillette ss, only a wee bit closer, nice and smooth. The more I use it , the better I like it. I`m just wondering about what year (circa), I don`t need explicit details. It looks like a vintage item, with a nice patina on the copper top which takes me back in time(I`m 80), so there`s a lot nostalgia attached.
    Thanks in advance.... Best wishes to all, Bill

Darkbulb likes this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Bill. would you be able to post a photo of it?