LF help identifying a Gillette razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 15, 2015.

1. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Hi, Darkbulb. Glad you were the one to respond, I have seen several of your "layouts" and they are top notch in my opinion. I`m sorry, sir but I haven`t the equipment or the the know how to do that but, ebay has the EXACT razor for sale under Gilette copper top razors that you can look at. Really, the only thing I would like to know is approx. what year(s) this particular razor was made. To be serious, it isn`t that important. I`m just curious.

Thank you Darkbulb in advance for your help, God Bless, Bill

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Is there a serial number on the razor's baseplate? It might be faint to see but unless it's from the NDC era it should be there

3. billdog2

There is no serial #, it has regus, pat.off, Gillette inside diamond scribe and made in u.s.a on bottom plate. I looked again on ebay and it is described as gold plated with copper top for 34.95 in case.I don`t think mine is gold plated but they both look EXACTLY alike.

Bill

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Sorry, couldn't find the auction listing with that description and price and without a photo it's near impossible to date it :)

billdog2 likes this.
  5. billdog2

Well no wonder..... because I gave you some wrong info. But it doesn`t matter. I really don`t need to know. As long as it shaves the way I like. I guess my next project will be to learn how to upload pictures to TSD. I`ll have to find my usb cord to my phone. It is unbelievable how nice AND helpful the members of TSD are. Please believe when I say THANK you for giving your time to me.

God Bless you and the TSD members, Bill

Darkbulb and twhite like this.
  6. billdog2

Hi Darkbulb, thanks again for your time. I finally found what I was looking for. it is a Gillette tech., with brass handle and plate and a copper top, circa
    `40s - `50s I think (not sure of the dates). It sure shaves nice.

Thanks and God speed, Bill

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

...aaand...got a second one...that of course also doesn't screw apart.... I think I'm done with Gillette traveler razors :)

[​IMG]

billdog2 likes this.
  8. billdog2

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The Mongoose is an odd duck...or goose...as it's not really an aggressive or mild razor - it seems to get a lot of that from which blade is being used.
    I love the Proguard in mine as it gives a very efficient - but also effortless (in that I don't have to really worry about nicking myself) shave.
    It is a beast of a razor though :)

That razor in your picture seems to be a gold, Gillette Fat Handle Tech. A rather mild razor and loved by most anyone who have used one.

billdog2 likes this.
  10. billdog2

Yes, I think your right. I thought the handle and base plate was brass but a closer look it just might be gold plating. Yes it is a real sweetheart, smooooth.
    Somewhat like my Gillette ss, only shaves a little closer. Love it.

With best regards and God`s speed, Bill