LF: Someone mechanically clever that can fix this

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Got this old Clauss razor that I would love to have repaired if possible.

It's a SE razor with a rather neat mechanism where you twist - and push/pull - the handle to open, close and lock it in place.

The mechanism seems really strong and works for opening the razor - but when trying to close it down, as I hope you can see in this video, it doesn't want to close. At the 30 sec mark you can see the head 'hopping out' out of the little notch on one side of the razor which then allows it to kind of close down.

Anyone feeling mechanically confident enough that they think they can take on this, paid, repair work?

Link here If the video below doesn't show for you in tapatalk hopefully the one above will now show...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Peter Skovgaard likes this.
  2. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

You might want to check with Razor Emporium and see if they can do it. I believe they only charge $20 for repair service.

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, good suggestion. Just sent them the video - we'll see what they say

4. The cap is not riding on the hinge post of the left side, facing the razor, you can see the stirrup flopping around. Not sure there is a direct relation to your problem but it would let the cap pull out of alignment.

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah - problem is when I attach it to the hinge it doesn't want to get even close to closing down...when I unhinge one side (like happened at the 30 sec mark) it gets 'close' to closing down. Sigh..I've tried unhinging and hinging them left and right but there is something that is preventing it from working as intended. Maybe a bent piece somewhere that I am not spotting.

Love the mechanism..would love it more if it would work :)

Maybe it's something DeltaEcho razors could fix :D

6. Well, if you want to send it to me, I'd be happy to look at it. No idea if I could figure it out but usually I'm somewhat charmed with the mechanical.

I'd be happy to see what I could figure out.

7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'll bet if you stare at that awhile, you'll figure it out.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

PM sent :)

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Tired of staring at it and I'm rather surprised myself as I was pretty convinced that would fix it.
    Gonna let a pro stare it now :)

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  11. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

:innocent Duct tape. Come on man, it's Father's Day. LOL

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I will be honest...duct tape and a hammer were the first two things that came to mind...but...I opted against it in the end :D

13. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Wisdom prevails!!

Darkbulb likes this.