Lime Away - Very be careful!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by marbert, Oct 15, 2014.

1. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

Just got my hands on a 1972 Gillette Super Adjustable short handle (my birth year) with a TTO mechanism that wasn't turning that last 1/4 turn to lock. Read people suggesting a soak in CLR or Lime Away to break down the build up of gunk in the mechanism.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Left the thing sitting partially submerged for half an hour or so and the stuff began eating away the nickel plating on the adjustment ring, the ring at the top of the TTO knob and the cap at the bottom of the TTO knob.

She was pretty while she lasted, a really clean example of a great razor, but now she's got plenty of copper showing through in a few places. Damn thing probably just needed some WD-40. Bummer.

Locks up fine now, though. Live and learn.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your tragedy.:( Live and learn and then teach others I suppose. Well at least the lockup is working well now. :happy088: Did the soaking affect the handle coating in anyway? A Super Adjustable with no plating(all brass except for the handle) would look nice I'm thinking. Thanks for passing on such valuable info!!

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Lime Away is very caustic. Sorry to hear about the razor.

4. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I'd consider replating it then. If you love the razor, it's worth the minor cost to replate.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Time to replate.

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Where did you read to soak in CLR or Lime Away? I've soaked my adjustable in dish soap water for 24 hours, and if need be 48. Usually does the trick to get the 1/4 turn. Yup. Live and learn.