Live Shave Demo...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by CJames, Dec 30, 2013.

1. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Ok guys (and gals), somehow I got roped into doing a live shave demo that was supposed to be for a couple of interested friends, but the thing keeps growing! I guess the venue has been moved to the garage now which is set up with a bunch of couches surrounding a carpeted area. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Like what to emphasize and focus on. What to include, not include? How to set up since it's in a garage without running water or mirror. These guys have never tried it! Worst thing is some wives may be coming, hopefully they will stay I the house! Please Help!

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  2. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

Cool idea! I would suggest maybe a tea kettle or electric kettle depending on how hot you want your water. If you're not too worried about it then just some hot water in a bowl should do it. The mirror thing could be a problem though. I typically only shave with one hand so i'd just have a hand mirror that I would use and glance at while I was shaving since you won't want to block your face from the other people watching.

CJames likes this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

This is sounding like fight club, but in a garage. Do people have to know the password and promise not to talk about it? :rofl:

I'd emphasize the YMMV mantra and the fact that DE shaving is totally different that cart shaving and they will not adapt to it immediately. I'd also set up some cigars and scotch for the after party.... give them the whole man cave / shave den experience.

Daytonkb, Tdmsu, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  4. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Good point...I'm staying at grandmas house in San Diego right now...sure I can find a small mirror there!

Agreed...Yep, we already talked about the whole man cave thing...I don't smoke, but they might be available for others!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Drinks and snacks.

6. richgem

I'd also be sure to mention that DEs don't pivot, which might seem obvious except if you're used to pivoting carts. Therefore, you cannot do the ear to chin swipe and you will have to adjust your angle as you go along while shaving in smaller/shorter strokes.

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Emphasize the whole no pressure spiel.

richgem likes this.
  8. richgem

Of course, if the women are going to be there, Chris, you should probably do a leg shaving demo too. I mean, fair is fair, right? :p

JRod22 and Ryan B like this.
  9. Ryan B

Equal treatment at its finest.

10. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Yeah....No! Well, the wife may be there...but, no...not doing that either! :)

11. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I think you should video this and post it so we can all see. What do the other members think? Yes / No?

12. Ryan B

Yes!

13. richgem

Hear hear!

14. richgem

Chicken! <runs away>

15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

How about something the attendees could take away from the demo as a follow up?

For example, a pamphlet outlining traditional wetshaving basics, along with resources (forum links, Mantic's videos on YouTube, Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving, a few online and locacl brick=and-mortar vendors, recommended starter kit options and where to buy, etc.). It will help the guys continue with what you teach them and reinforce what is learned in the demo. A few pages of summary info should do, outlining things like a three-pass shave, don't use too much pressure, soaps vs. creams and shaving brush bristle types and characteristics. A leaflet of a few pages with the same information as in this video from The Gentlemen's Shop, just the very basics to keep it simple and easy to understand. If you print up extra leaflets, interested folks could pass them along to their friends. A QR bar code linking to http://theshaveden.com/forums/ would make it extra easy for those with smartphones to have an initial starting point online.

Tdmsu and BigT like this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

A door prize?

17. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

You left out the pole dancers......lol

Shaver X and JRod22 like this.
  18. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Great input guys thanks! A friend of mine just decided to put this together last minute. If I do this again, I'll plan it right! We'll see if we can tape any of it. I'll probably cut myself if we tape it. :)

19. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Tape it. I'll PIF you some BandAids.....lol

JRod22 and richgem like this.
  20. richgem

Yeah, we're in it for the blood and gore.

Off screen narration: DON"T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!!!! <evil laugh>

^ Just a suggestion.

BigT likes this.