Local Drug Stores

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Steve C, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Do most local drug stores sell shaving creams? Is there one drug store chain that tends to have more variety than another?

Or am I better off to do my local Walmart or some other box store?

I'm sure you could all direct me to places online, and I already have sources online, but I'm just trying to support my local businesses whenever I can.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Every store is different. Stores are going to stock based a lot on demographics. I know I've heard of guys geting stuff in their local CVS that isn't carried on my area stores. Best I can say is take field trips to the stores in your area.

Tdmsu, RetLEO-07, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  3. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

There are several Rite Aid and CVS drug stores near me, and the only things they have in common is the canned stuff. One RA has a decent selection of stuff, but it's not high end. Williams, Cremo and VDH, plus some different aftershaves and some blades. Another RA has nothing. I think it's a case by case... I've seen some different supplies at various grocery stores, too, but nothing to say a certain chain will definitely have what you want.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

As has been said you just have to go look. Different stores in the same chain carry different stuff here in Baton Rouge.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Yes I would agree that the local demographics would dictate what was available where, but I thought it a worthy question because many in here, I'm sure, have gone on this quest already, and could save me a few footsteps.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Only if they lived where you do.

dbersh and dustmite like this.
  7. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

OK so let's narrow it down a bit, since we're talking about local demographics.

I live in Connecticut.

If any of you who live in Connecticut could advise me on this, I would appreciate it.

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It might be worth a note that you can order online from walgreens and they will ship it to the store. There are items you can get that are not usually in the store. You get a good selection and still support your local store.

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have never found a shave soap, razor blade or fragrance that interests me in a drug store, Wal*Mart or grocery store. I have found Nivea aftershave Balm. That's about it.

10. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

No doubt there will be a limited selection in the local box stores, unless one of them happens to be a shaving store specialty shop.

I just don't relish the idea of going to that shaving store that's in the mall and paying $60 for a can of cream .

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You don't HAVE to. If you choose to support your brick and mortar shave stores, that's great, but be prepared to pay the premium. Otherwise, enjoy the modern Williams or Cremo, or VDH (many do) that are available at your local Walgreens, etc. There are many on-line stores that have excellent products and customer service as alternatives to amazon and their ilk. Alternatively, you can visit the BST threads. Shavers are selling their products all the time.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

In the mall there may be sevetal stores that have stuff. The Body Shop has a nice cream. There is another shop that sells C.O.Bigalow....can not think of the name. CVS may have cremo. Target is selling VDH stuff. Health food stores sometimes have Kiss My Face creams.

13. swarden43

That ain't gonna help. I have two CVS stores within 10 minutes from me. Each carries a bit of a different assortment.
    You're just gonna hafta check 'em out.

dbersh, RyX, Jayaruh and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    CO Bigelow is sold by Bath and Body Works.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks.

16. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Additionally, in my area there's only two drug stores that are independently owned. I'd rather support a Mom & Pop like Stirling over the internet than have my money going to a huge corporation.

17. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

I wondered the other day, when I was at the mall, if the "Bath and Body" might have something for men.

Although as most of you would agree, the prices in the mall are generally higher than anywhere else anyway, no matter what the store is!

"Shave Nation" is, although an online entity, (I wonder if I lived in his neighborhood, if I could show up at his front door and buy stuff right directly from him. Probably can) more or less a mom-and-pop operation, so I don't mind supporting him.

18. swarden43

I actually find the drug store prices higher than other stores, even the malls.

19. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Really?! That hasn't been "my" experience. Interesting!

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

That is why most of us shop online. My local stores carry a few basics that I either have more than enough of, or am not really interested in. It is just a preference thing.

RetLEO-07, jtspartan and Primotenore like this.