Longer growth, better shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by ordinaryshaver, Jan 14, 2018.

1. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

It has been my experience, and perhaps I am just a bit crazy, the longer my stubble gets the better shave I get.
    Im talking about 5 days growth max. After that there is just a chore,and other things must be done.

But I find right about day 3 or 4, the shave is quick, efficient, no weepers, no irritation and lasts longer than normal.
    Not sure if there is any correlation here, or if my mind is playing tricks on me.

Any of you guys notice this same thing?

2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

You got it right. That’s how I do it. I Shave every 3rd day. BBS EVERY Shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico and ordinaryshaver like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The simple answer is yes. I am the same way.

Enrico, cliffb599 and ordinaryshaver like this.
  4. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I’m the same! I usually shave every second day, but on the odd holiday weekend I’ll go 3-4 days. Those are brilliant BBS Grail shaves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico, ordinaryshaver and cliffb599 like this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've noticed the same result. I normally shave 7 days, but occasionally I'll skip. The next shave, with the 1 or 2 days extra growth are always perfect.

Herm

Enrico likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, pretty much the same here. I usually get BBS shaves all the time, but I have less effort with more than a day's growth.

Enrico likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I disagree, I think your mind is playing tricks on you. I agree there is a big difference, and I think the difference makes you feel better. But I shave daily, I'm always clean shaven. I like getting the crispness of close to, if not, bbs daily. I definitely dislike the itchy and scratchy of missing days.
    I will contend that over aggression can lead to irritation, but riding the blade daily is how I roll.

Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  8. ordinaryshaver

Perhaps it is a mind game after all. I'm not sure of a scientific way to test the hypothesis, but even if it is, ill still take the results. I guess correlation actually does not mean causation in this case.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I think you are right, but I choose to shave every day. I just do a two-pass shave and that's it. Love it.

Herm2502 likes this.
  10. ordinaryshaver

When I have that many days growth, I find that the 2 pass is sufficient, but on a less growth shave, the 3 pass achieves the same result. Perhaps it is all in my mind since I am going from one extreme to the other.
    Either way, ill happily take the results that may come from it.

178-bplatoon and Keithmax like this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011:

ordinaryshaver likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The daily shave is more enjoyable when I ignore the BBS issue. However, to answer the OP's question, I think that when the hair is longer, it is easier for the blade to cut.

178-bplatoon and COMPNOR like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Why bother with BBS. Only last a few hours with my beard anyway.

Primotenore likes this.
  14. swarden43

I guess it's why I make three passes when just one would, maybe, be acceptable.
    "If you're going to do something half-___ed, you might as well not do it at all."

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do 2 and a touch up. With everything but open blades. I never chase the baby as they say. I get really hi grade shaves with that routine. Watch a few of my videos. I do not half ass anything I do.

Primotenore likes this.
  16. swarden43

:happy088:
    Sorry. I took the, "Why bother...," for what it sounded like--an,"I really don't care," statement.
    No disrespect intended, Fuzzy. :)

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nahhh none taken. Hard to read tone online. I always say bbs is a myth. My point being most people just kill their face hunting that bbs they always hear about. Why bother? Get a good hi class DFS and roll along.
    It is easier to get closer to bbs after a few days off from shaving I think. Like the OP said. But solid technique gets that no matter the growth.

Spyder and swarden43 like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I shave every day, if I skip a day my face is itchy and I look 10 years older. I find that on weekends when I go 30 hours between shaves I do get a better shave.

I am 4 pass shaver and chase what I call epic shaves, BBS and no irritation. My shaves are not always epic but usually without irritation despite 4 passes.

Spyder and jtspartan like this.
  19. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I usually have better shaves if I give a day or two in between. Using a single edge razor, I'm usually smooth for 24 hours and a very light stubble at 48 hours. Less skin irritation and overall a more enjoyable experience this way for me.

Keithmax, 178-bplatoon and wchnu like this.
  20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

As long as my shave is irritation free, either way(everyday or skipping a day) will suffice. Although if I skip a day I find the shave a bit closer feeling. I usually shave 3-4 time a week. :)

Spyder, Keithmax and wchnu like this.