Look what I found

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by EagleRon, Oct 27, 2013.

1. EagleRon

EagleRon Member

Look what I found Friday. Looks like a red and black. Not sure if I am ready to shave with it yet. But I will research on how to clean it up. Maybe I will be ready for it. CAM00124_edit0.jpg

PLANofMAN, BamaT, TSimons and 5 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great find of a great shaver. You'll like it.
    To clean it, take it apart and place the pieces in a bowl, cover with a coating of Scrubbing Bubbles and let the bubbles fade away. Use a soft toothbrush to get any stubborn stuff, rinse off with hot water, dry, and there ya go. The Scrubbing Bubbles eats soap scum, disinfects, and leaves the razor nice and shiny.

DO NOT BOIL GOLD RAZORS, it will take off the finish.

BamaT and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That looks pretty clean. Nice find.

Give it a shot. You shave with it like any other razor. The short comb New isn't overly aggressive.

4. EagleRon

EagleRon Member

Looks like a Norfolk.

Attached Files:

5. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Very nice find. I've had one for a while but have not used it yet.

6. EagleRon

EagleRon Member

I know it looks a little scary. Compared to my Tech and SS

BamaT likes this.
  7. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Awesome razor, nice find!

I have a 1934 Red & Black, and it's one of my favorites. (Fairly aggressive shaver)

Just take your time the first time you use it and you won't have any problems.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You'll find it shaves very similar to the Tech and SS.
    Don't let the open comb intimidate you.
    Seriously, if you were to close your eyes and make one swipe with the Tech, one with the SS and one with the open comb, you would not be able to tell which was which. The open comb makes no difference what so ever with the shave.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. EagleRon

EagleRon Member

OK got this razor cleaned up and used it tonight.

Astra
    VDH brush
    VDH soap
    This was a pretty good shave. I still need to work on technique. But I think it was better than the SS or tech.

BamaT likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Active Member

LOVE this razor I have both rea and blacks ..short and long combs .. thanks to a very nice guy on this site

Great shave give it a go M8

11. EagleRon

EagleRon Member

I would not mind to find on like this in nickel in great shape for every day use and put this on aside.

12. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

I have 3 Long Combed New's. One that is a beat up user, one I "believe" to be NOS but can't quite tell. One that is NOS with a cardboard shipper even. I only say this to ask how in the heck did you date your's? I wasn't aware that they could be dated. Is there a resource for the Pat number that you used? I knew they were from the 1930's but had no idea that you could get a specific year.
    Thanks for your direction.

To the OP, great razor score and as you already know a great shaver!

13. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I don't think you will find one in nickel. Pretty sure they only came gold plated.

14. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

I guess I should have stated that 1934 was an "educated guess"; mine looks identical to this on on mr. razor's site:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1934 Red and Black.JPG

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice find. One of my favorite shavers. I had mine nickel plated. Yours look great the way it is.
    new_plated2.jpg

BamaT likes this.
  16. EagleRon

EagleRon Member

Jayaruh
    That looks nice.

17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks. I came out better than I would have expected. I love shaving with the classics.

18. EagleRon

EagleRon Member

The Gillette Senator may be what I will look for next. It looks sweet.

19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I understand they made that one only in one year, 1938. It is a beautiful long comb razor. Good luck.

20. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. Like I said I knew it was from the '30s but I didn't know specifically.

It was only made in 1938. Mine is pretty beat up but it sees use once or twice a year. A very aggressive shave indeed.
    [​IMG]