Looking for a change

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Turk, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I've been using a 34c Merkur for the last few years and think its time for a change. Not that I have issues with my Merkur as I think its a workhorse, I'm just thinking that something new would be nice. Has anyone ever ran across a razor that just impresses you right out of the gate? Looking for suggestions. Thanks

2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Yep, the GEM 1912. I was totally hooked after one use about six years ago and still consider it the best razor design ever forged by mortals.

fram773 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Schick Injectors. All of them.

4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

......or a Gillette NEW Short Comb.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Slant bar razor; Merkur 37c or 39c—a different experience than the 34c.

6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Get a Gem G-Bar. A good and different razor.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Gillette NEW long comb. Awesome.

8. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

I, too, think the Gem 1912 is a nice razor. However, right now I'm hooked on injectors. They give a fantastic shave.

dscaver and fram773 like this.
  9. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I enthusiastically agree with both HoosierTrooper and RazorBurn123. Another DE will be just another DE- not that there is anything wrong with that but an Injector/SE will be something else entirely.

dscaver and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I give a second for the slant. it's different enough to be something new.

11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Another vote for an injector!

fram773 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Ever-Ready 1924. Or Gem MMOC.

fram773 likes this.
  13. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

A bag of Bic disposables. You will be able to use a new razor each day.

Slow Joe and ObiDon like this.
  14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Get a Gillette adjustable. You will have a vintage razor that you can change adjustments on to fit your needs and or blade you are using. And they are just very good razors that will last. And they are just cool. :happy069:

15. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

You might want to look for a vintage Star, it's similar to the Tech, but somewhat more aggressive.

ObiDon likes this.
  16. The Gillette New is good, I have the short comb and love it. I am also interested in slants but I haven't tried one yet.

17. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    @Turk You got any operating parameters to narrow the scope of your request? Budget or other considerations?

Well, here goes nothing...

1. and now for something completely different (in a DE)... I endorse the standard razor, much discussed in this thread. However, the Bespoke deal has run its course. For the full on $70, I would try the Weber razor with bulldog handle. It is on my DE list under "some day." Otherwise, I say go with a winning (mild+efficient) shaver — Schick Krona or Star DE (in that order).

2. Different as in different - Ya gots to try a single edge! I've gone over the cliff on both GEM and injector. It is as arbitrary as any opinion out there, but to the DE experienced, I would say start with an injector. You should try them both, of course! I started with the GEM style, but think the injector is a bit less of an adjustment... but is still plenty different! The key characteristic is maneuverability.

3. Loaners available - Want to try before you buy? I can float you: 1912, 1924 and GEM MMOC (SEs); Schick Hydromagic or Type G (? I think - will confirm) injectors; and Schick Krona DE. PM me if you would like to discuss.

Come on in, the water's fine!

feeltheburn and fram773 like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

[​IMG]

maltedmilk and fram773 like this.
  19. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I think the slant bar is an excellent suggestion. A very efficient shaver and my first choice when I have more than a few days growth.

In fact, Mr Leisureguy himself recommends the slant bar and call it the perfect second razor (or something like that :) ) in his highly regarded book

I have no affiliation with this guy, leisure or not. But I did enjoy the book

HolyRollah and maltedmilk like this.
  20. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Now, Kevin... you know some of us are impressionable. You should keep the pictures of that devil-candy over in the straights where they belong (unless I win your PIF!!!). ;)

(I want me some devil-candy! NOM-NOM-NOM ... mmmmm!)

HolyRollah likes this.