looking for a more aggressive razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by emmijack, Mar 11, 2012.

1. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Hi all, I currently have a Merkur 34c HD and also a Ming Shi from the shaving factory, and although I like both razors I wouldn't mind a more aggressive razor, I am torn between the merkur slant or the muhle R41.
    Does anybody have any other suggestions that i should consider.????
    Thanks guys.

2. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Those sound like good choices. You might look into an adjustable like a Gillette Slim or a Merkur Progress. Also the Merkur Futur, if you want something really aggressive.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

A straight razor. They don't come any more aggressive than that.

As far as suggestions for a safety other than what you have, the Gem MicroMatic Open Comb is, in my opinion, my most aggressive non-adjustable razor.

4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

+ on the r-41 and also the slim, as I have both (pm me if you want to try either of them and see what you think, or both if you like) I don't have a slant and have never tried one so can't really give an opinion on it. But they look cool.

5. emmijack

thanks for that, have also been looking at the gillette fatboy, but I think it's a bit out of my price range at £95, what sort of prices are the slims going for????

6. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I really prefer aggressive razors & a smooth shave. My favorite all time is the Gem Open Comb Micromatic (OCMM). Following up closely behind is my new Merkur 39C Sledgehammer Slant. I've also tried a '11 R41 for a couple weeks. The R41 is super aggressive but wasn't smooth enough for me. All 3 of these razors will be plenty aggressive & I'll take any of them over my Slim adjustable (which FYI remains opened fully on a setting of 9). If you enjoy a very smooth shaving experience then I'd highly suggest the Sledgehammer Slant.

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Try one you might like them.

Richard Jackson likes this.
  8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Slims are about £20+ depending on condition and case, fat boy £45+

9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

A Slim and a Fatboy have the same head. Just the weight and balance are different. For the price, you're much better off with a slim. If you look long enough, though, you'll find a good deal on a Fatboy. I found one at an antique store for $3.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The Slim and the Fat Boy do not have the same head. The have the same adjustment mechanism. The Fat Boy's head is slightly taller and more round than the Slim. If you hold the bottom of the baseplates together you will see a very small difference. The Slim was made with a flatter head to achieve a flatter angle of blade contact than the Fat Boy. The weight and balance are very different due to the length and thickness of the handle.

Slipperyjoe and alpla444 like this.
  11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

You have all of my suggestions from above already.

I'm pulling for the R-41 personally. That razor cured my RAD. In that case, you may want to save it for later so you can have more fun along the way. Give the R-41 a week or two and you'll be pulling off dolphin smooth, 2 pass, comfy shaves with ease.

Don't shy away from the str8s either, they are amazing and deliver a really deep sense of achievement when you master them, they just have some baggage that MUST accompany them.

Let us know what you end up doing.

alpla444 likes this.
  12. emmijack

will do, thanks for all your advice guys, a few things to think about there.
    Ian.

13. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

the 41 worked really close to the beard. i still prefer the fat opened up to the 7 - 9 range

14. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

im struggling with my r41
    it feels like my face is on fire everytime i shave. nice amount of razor burn as well.im gonna give it a another try this morning....hope it goes well or its on the shelf for awhile & ill revisit it later
    im beginning to appreciate the smoothness of my 89l

15. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Try drastically different angles, from shallow to steep. I got good shaves from it, but it left me with weepers.

16. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

i tried a few diffrent angles a few mins ago..i determined that i was using too much pressure. it will definately mow down the whiskers
    . im not gonna give up but ill let my face take a break & go back to the EJ89l

SharpSpine likes this.
  17. Frogger

Frogger New Member

I think the Futur is a better razor then the Progress, and it goes from mild to wild!

PanChango likes this.
  18. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Interesting. I can't say anything negative about the razors posted so far. But, my choice for a great aggressive razor would be a NEW or New Improved. While not as widely available, they don't have a huge demand and prices aren't crazy for the basic ones. Both are offered with premium designs and finishes that are big with collectors, but are not needed for a great shave.

19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Cool. Yeah, you gotta make sure you have the zero pressure thing going on. Give it a few weeks of nothing but the R-41 and zero pressure and you'll have that sucker shaving comfy.

20. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Are all the Gillette NEW open comb? I've been thinking of trying to find one since I don't have any OC's in my collection, and like you said, they haven't been attacked by the wetshaving price boom (yet)

Llyr likes this.