looking for a more aggressive razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by emmijack, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

All the ones I've seen. But, with the huge number of one-off variants I could be wrong. They do have different length combs which I understand do shave differently - though I've never tried the short comb version myself.

2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I have a NEW short comb and it seems to hit the right level of aggressiveness for me too. I got mine from BRW for $20. He has them replated in Ni before shipping them to you. Very nice work. Of course, while you're at it, you may as well go ahead and get a handle too. :D

3. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

For the price, you can't beat a single edge like the GEM Micromatic which you can get cheap, around $10 - 16 depending on cosmetics and find the GEM single edge blades on eBay or Ted Pella. Type GEM micromatic razor in youtube and watch the guy's demonstration of how to use them. You'll pick it up quickly and the single edge shaves are great.

PanChango likes this.
  4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

+1 my daily shaver is a frankenrazor with a NEW head and a long, heavy handle. I find it's a good compromise between the more aggressive razors (open comb micromatic, mp r89) and other milder razors.

As the baby bear said, "this one's just right." for me, anyway.

DLP likes this.
  5. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

My vote is for the R-41. Ive only been using it a week or so but can tell you I wouldn't want anything more aggressive than that, and I love the way the open comb feels.
    I have never used a Muhle, but the ones I handled at Art Of Shaving recently seemed cheap in comparison to my EJ and Muhle, but I know they work for ALOT of people so Im not going to say don't try em.

Im really curious about straights. I have a Parker Shavette heading my way to dip the toes and see if its the direction I want to go in. All this talk about absolute closeness and aggressiveness have got me intrigued .

6. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

DOLPHIN SMOOTH 'DAS' taking the place of BBS?? I did swim with the Dolphins this past summer. Not sure I'd like to feel like that!!:)-)

7. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

I have both a slant and an R41. The R41 is indeed very aggressive and one has to be careful. The slant is less forgiving and provides a much closer shave than the 34C. I would recommend the slant unless you feel your are very experienced and want a ludicrous close shave.

8. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

Try the Merkur 11C (before they run out of stock). The OC 1904 is also very nice. Finally, I also have a customized New, pictured below. With a heavier handle, these are very nice indeed. I got this one from Cooncatbob.

DSC01572.JPG

CyanideMetal likes this.
  9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Actually I ordered a Merkur 1904 Open Comb last night to try out :)

Llyr likes this.
  10. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I have recently ordered a Muhle R41 Grande, as it has the heavier head like the 34c that I am used to.
    Am looking forward to getting it.....

Llyr, thinklikeh20 and alpla444 like this.
  11. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

I have the Gem OCMM,the Merkur 39c slant and the Muhle R41 Grande.All 3 are great razors but the R41 needs more concentration,it's very unforgiving.The Gem is wonderful pretty easy to handle,I use the Gem a lot for headshaves.The Merkur 39c to me is very smooth I hit it off with that razor right off the bat.If you the type of person that doesn't have the time I wouldn't get a R41,you just can't rush with that razor.There's also a lot of merit in getting a adjustable,it's like having several razors in one.

SharpSpine likes this.
  12. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

:signs011:, my thoughts exactly. The OCMM and 39C are getting all my face time currently.

13. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

:signs011:

14. AwNix

AwNix Member

The Fatboy has the weight and can cut through anything. Can't go wrong w/ one of those.