Looking for a Vintage Gillette Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 17, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I'm getting pretty used to using my Schick Krona and Gillette Adjustable. I now have a Gillette Super Speed razor on my want list. I like the vintage Gillette razors. The only ways I can get a Super Speed is either Ebay, Flea Market, antique store, and of course on the bay here. One more thing, I hear there are three different types of super speeds. What are the three different types? If I remember correctly, it's red tip, flare tip, and blue tip. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Have a great day! :)

RaZorBurn123, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The differences would be the Superspeed/Flair Tip is generally a middle of the road mild razor, regular. A Blue Tip is even milder and the Red Tip more aggressive.

RetLEO-07, theguitarshaver559 and RyX like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

FWIW just posted my '51 for sale on BST.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Best place for vintage razors, in my opinion, is from other forum members in the BST. Folks are generally looking for fair prices on their products. I like the auction site for some things, but don't trust a lot of the information people provide on it when it comes to razors.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

theguitarshaver559 and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

3 amigos.gif
    Correct, Sir. The Red Tip is most aggressive and heavier. The Blue Tip has an aluminum handle making it lighter.

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I just picked up a 58 on the bay for less than $8. The Gillette Super Speed Flares are one of my favorites. About the easiest and cheapest to be found. Found one one wild for $5. worth every penny.:happy093:

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Plus of course the original SS. Have had two Red Tips and two earlier Super Speeds, all good shavers.

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The Gillette Super Speeds are one of the longest running of Gillettes next to the Techs in my opinion; running from 1940 to 1998. The reason for this is they give a great shave and are cost effective (cheap).

Even an ugly duckling can be clean quite easily. My first was missing the caps, but shaved great.
    I plan on giving my boys one each for next Christmas or birthdays.

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have the red tip, silver tip and blue tip superspeeds and they're all great razors, but with different aggressiveness. I also have one of the late '40s style superspeeds and that one is my absolute favorite superspeed. It has the right amount of aggression, balance and "feel". The superspeed line is all good!

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

After I looked through mine; I realized I may be a little obsessed. At this moment I have:
    1941 Ranger Tech
    1953 Flare
    1955 Flare
    1955 Flare
    1958 Flare
    1973 Mono Tech (made in Brazil)

I may have to thin the herd. :rofl:

11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

In addition to the flare tips, you have the 1940's style, Black Tip, TV Special, and black handle:
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031, Demidog, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  12. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Andrew, that's a great photo of Super Speeds. I can ID most of them but what's the difference between No1 and No4 (counting from the left)?

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Taipan likes this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

IMHO the Gillette Super Speeds are the best razors made for your buck. I really like my birth year Flare Tip, if you want a SS with a tad more aggression I'd go with a British made.

jimjo1031, Taipan and Jim99 like this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I don't want to complicate things, but the British made Gillette rockets are just fantastic. They look almost identical to the super speeds, but they are of a higher quality IMHO.

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  16. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Milords...I just love those things...
    [​IMG]

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Budget is the consideration, Brit Rockets are typically 2-3x the price of their American Cousins.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Nice pickup Enrico!

19. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I have a black handle & flare tip available

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©